Games that have become worse/better than you remember

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Games that have become worse/better than you remember

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:34 pm

A game that I don't think has aged well compared to the rest of the series (barring Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days) is Kingdom Hearts 1. Don't get me wrong, I'm all giddy about exploring the fun and familiar worlds of Disney and KH itself very much, but you have to understand. After playing KH2 (which was actually the first kingdom Hearts game I  played, even though I had decent knowledge on 1, beforehand), Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, and yes, even Re:coded, the combat system makes me its bitch. Literally, I have no idea why Cerberus of all Disney characters is probably one of the hardest bosses in the history of the series. And that's just the SECOND world! Speaking of first worlds, who the hell was it that suggested that WONDERLAND, of all the possible Disney worlds, should be the first world?! Don't get me wrong, Alice in Wonderland is a decent movie and I like that it's getting represented (even though the March Hare and the Mad Hatter are stuck in painting for some arbitrary reason that Nomura obviously pulled out of his ass), but starting off with such a confusing, randomly laid out, and psychedelic world is just a beginner's trap. And as far as I know, that actually turned off plenty of newcomers in the series' fandom that actually started off with the first game, which is literally unforgivable on Square Enix's part. Not to mention the awkward controls for Atlantica, the difficulty (I have never used any magic besides Cure in any of my Kingdom Hearts II playthroughs besides Cure and maybe Magnet once in a while, but KH1 really makes you desperate with just how weak Sora is), the unresponsive partner AIs (now, KH2 wasn't really a step beyond when it came to how useful partners were, but at least I could rely on Donald healing me and being able to use Limits with other characters), beginner's traps, OP bosses, awkward controls, etc, just make my piss boil so much.

Back to the magic thing, this is the only thing I'm disappointed with when it comes to KH3. The fact that we're going back to that style of gameplay and ditching the Command system that's been laid out in BBS, 3D, and Re:coded. Seriously, why? Who asked for that system to come back? I mean, sure the Command systems made battles a bit too easy at times, but it's definitely not broken and has some fair balancing. It just needed a few more tweaks and fine tuning in order to be fully efficient, and even then, being able to use all of these crazy physical and magic attacks, as well as being able to mix Materials in order to create new moves for your number of slots, was pretty damn fun and intuitive. But no, we have to go back to the magic system that I barely used in KH2 and was forced to use in KH1. That's not really the best first impression that Square Enix could've made. Now, this is all subject to change and we don't know if the system's been modified in order to accommodate at least some of the progress made in the portable titles, but it's reasonable why I'm a bit uneasy. At least, in my opinion. I'm just glad that Summons and Disney partners are apparently returning, along with carrying the Freeflow system from Dream Drop Distance. Don't get me wrong though, KH1 is still a fantastic game on its own and has memorable characters, epic story, fun exploring, extraordinary landscapes, gorgeous music, various emotions felt, etc. It just isn't as enjoyable as most people might make it out to be, nowadays, and its flaws really start to show. Nonetheless, I'm still hyped to see play it again in 1.5, along with seeing the HD visuals and reorchestrated soundtrack.

Now, what are some games that you think haven't had many advantages against the tide of time? I know that DP could mention Ratchet & Clank 1 in this list. I'd love to hear your thoughts?

EDIT: After a bit of contemplating, I've altered the title so that we can mention games that have fallen in quality over the years, or have actually gained newfound appreciation after all this time. It's better than just having one extreme and a whole other thread for the other in the inevitable future.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Games that have become worse/better than you remember

Post by DP on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Ratchet 1 didn't get that much worse, actually. It's just become more apparent how little I really liked of the levels. It's a slight difference but it's there nevertheless.

Ocarina of Time. Game of 1998? Fuck yes. Best game ever? Fuck no, it's horribly and disgustingly dated now. Same goes for GoldenEye. I will take BF3 over GoldenEye every day of the year.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Eh, still counts. I love KH1 for what it is and I will replay it, but it really does remind me how much less I really did like playing it.

Also, Super Mario 64's a bit dated, as well. I already knew that it's overrated as hell, but I don't get as much satisfaction from it as when I was a kid. I would much rather be playing, well, any other 3D Mario game. Or even any other home console-based Mario platformer. what And yes, that includes NSMBW and U (the former is actually pretty fun and replayable. I haven't played U yet, but W doesn't deserve to get lumped in with the other titles).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 pm

i liked the command system but KH2 was my favorite kh game by far and if you knew what you were doing you could do some crazy stuff with fire and thunder (blizzard was pretty much useless though) though the system still needs some work perhaps itll be even better for KH 3

aanyway a game i think that hasnt aged well sonic adventure 1 that game was badass when i was a kid now its so disappointing to play it
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Agreed, but I still love playing the Sonic Adventure games. At least, gameplay-wise, because SA1'a voice acting and SA2's story elements were just... ugh. Not to mention the alternate styles of gameplay (I honestly didn't mind Gamma's levels at all, but the mech levels in SA2 can be so arbitrary and break the flow. They're good on their own, but just not in a Sonic game). And of course the treasure hunting and Amy's dumb hammer. Not to mention that I still can't believe that SEGA did this scene in the middle of some of the series' greatest characterization.

After SA1, I only legitimately started liking Tails again in Colors.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Sonic in 3D is just generally the moist asshole that leaves a skidmark on our childhoods.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm

3D Sonic games (before Colors) in a nutshell.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Yeah.... but I think unleashed gets too much flack. beyond ya know the punishing difficulty in a game designed for kids theres not much difference to generations. swap werehog for 2d sonic. 

Anyway...red and blue. Soooo broken. Only good with a lot of nostalgia goggles on. And of course obligatory jak 2.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:04 pm

I actually agree on Unleashed, lpool.

And yes, definitely Jak II for me. Also, Sonic CD really deserves more credit. I mean, S3&K is still my favorite 2D Sonic, but up next it has to be Sonic CD. I love Sonic 2 as well, though. Hell, all of the 2D Sonics are good. They just kept getting better.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Don't you fucking dare say THAT was better than 3&K. Lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Sonic Advance 1 is more of a Sonic 4 than that will ever be.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:32 pm

i would have to say mario 64.  It really just doesn't hold up well at all.  Sure i'll get a lot of people stirred up for saying this but i actually feel that crash bandicoot's controls have aged better (then again, mario 64 was a 3d board where crash was more of a 3d hallway).

Another game that hasn't held up so well is War of the Monsters.  I remember renting that in jr. high and having a blast.  So with the announcement of allstars, i've seen some people request Ultra V.  This put me in the mood to play it and my friend bought it on PSN.  I have to say the controls are incredibly clunky.

And i still love the original pokemon games.  Pokemon Blue may very well be my favorite game of all time
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Dude, I said Mario 64. The most well-known walking Mario encyclopedia on this forum. Don't worry, I've got your back. Wink

And I have to say... Sonic Colors. It's still  as good as it always was, but fuck, are the controls slippery. I can barely land on that first rail you see in Tropical Resort Act 1 after replaying the game a few weeks ago. XD The game of course has plenty of other flaws, but I realized all of those when I played it for the first time.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 pm

And to agree with what you said about kingdom hearts, i remember renting it for a week as a kid.  I couldn't past Atlantis.  Not because of the difficulty, but because the dolphin required to get to the next part of the level never showed up and i couldn't figure out for the life of me how to make it show up.  Then my week was up with it and i remember being pretty upset.  So last year i borrowed it from a friend, started a new game, and beat the whole game.  

I decided to take the path of the mage like i normally do (my reasoning behind this is that i can learn to master a sword in real life but i'll never be able to manifest fire and lightning out of my fingertips).  I learned while replaying through the game though that the magic is pretty underwhelming in KH1.  It doesn't get flashier and more destructive as you level it up.  It looks the same as when you first get it...which looked pretty lame to begin with.

I also loved Sora as a kid!
...don't even get me started on Sora...
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Man, I completely agree about Atlantica, that stupid dolphin, and the magic (although I always picked the sword. Nobody ever picks the shield lol). Not to mention that it was pretty easy to get lost.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Ah, man wait till you play KH2:FM+.
You will really have to use other types of magic on most of the organization 13 bosses. Especially Demyx Data. Wisdom Form is too gud.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Oh yeah, I know that FM's going to make me really step up my game. I'm actually excited that magic might be of some use. For once. And spells besides Curaga.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I've gotta disagree with Jak II because I always knew it was shit.

In all seriousness, Majora's Mask oddly enough holds up a lot better than OoT. It's really weird when you think about it. Another game is Fallout 3; I love the game, but as I've noted once I got into NV, it was clear how poor 3 really was.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I think all of the other 3D Zeldas hold up efficiently. Well, besides Wind Waker's BS pacing, but even the remake fixes that.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Well I noted MM because of them both being on the N64. It SHOULD be just as dated but it feels a lot better to play.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 pm

I know. I'm just saying that I'd easily prefer playing an other 3D Zelda game than Ocarina of Time lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 am

I know the Mx vs ATV series definitely isn't as fun for me anymore.. as a kid, I would get some splitscreen going on it and we would play for hours. Never race, just roam the world doing stunts and trying to run into each other. I played splitscreen less than a year ago and it just wasn't the same as before
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 pm

here's one that hasn't aged too well:

The Original Metal Gear Solid on ps1

I've been playing through it recently and the controls haven't aged very well.  The lock-on system requires you to hold square with your gun and pray to the gods of gaming that snake locks onto the right person.  And if you want to move while shooting, hold shoot and crawl at the exact same time.  You can only shoot in the direction you are running
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top