3DS Sales Keep Nintendo Floating & Wii U Sinks a Little Further

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 3DS Sales Keep Nintendo Floating & Wii U Sinks a Little Further

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:25 pm

the one thing they won't replicate is the controller like feel. i can see Razer doing it. they just need a proper market place for proper games. maybe Steam Mobile or something. that should be a thing. i.e. a tablet e shop/ps store.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Well, look at Razer's tablet though. It's $700, compare that to the Vita which will come out to at most $500 depending on what you buy. While, it might have starting success, but I don't see their tablet doing as good as say Apple's products. I still sit by what I say about the Vita being the great change of the handheld market. Sony just hasn't really figured that out yet. Other than that, when it comes to $1.99 games I just let out a guffaw and push them aside.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm

i will give you that. its gonna take time. but by next handheld gen? very possible.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm

The N64 failed, Anaconda. The GC failed too. The Wii was the first udders they ha in a good 15 years. They were going the Sega route for a while in hardware. Theyre used to these sorts of "failures" and those consoles always lasted. Saying this will be that big a deal for Nintendo is foolish. Their loss is the first in over 100 years as a company and it's mostly due to the economy itself.

Also, there have been many rumors of a Dreamcast 2 but I don see it happening until next console generation. I'd love it to happen though. Not to mention they need to build up a MUCH better library of owned IP before they can consider doing any sort of console.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm looking at second-gen Vita's to start picking that up.  Also, here's a new article link of IGN talking in-depth about Nintendo's financial situation.  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/exactly-how-bad-is-the-nintendo-situation

@DP:  I know that those two consoles were failures, they were major failures and Nintendo took major losses on those consoles.  Nintendo should be used to console failure by now.  If the Wii had failed too, Nintendo would be very well in the SEGA spot regardless of handheld sales.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:46 pm

Oh I completely agree on that front. My point is that they have overcome it and NEVER booked a loss until this year. They've said themselves that the jump to HD was bigger than they thought it'd be, but they've still only posted a loss because of the recession worldwide. I have faith that they can maintain regardless. They'll lose this gen most likely but they'll keep it positive. And mind you I'm ALWAYS a Nintendo skeptic.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:49 pm

actually the GC and N64 although relative failures, were not loses so to speak. cause until the wii u nintendo downright refused to sell at a loss.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Regardless of if Nintendo is successful next-gen or not. It's fairly clear that Sony is taking the number one spot back. They got the right people in the right spots and they're saying all the right things core gamers wanna hear. As long as Sony keeps it this way, the gaming market will tremble before the PlayStation brand for generations to come.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

i dunno. the xbox team is clawing its way back somehow. not much  i mean sonys instal base is still gonna be huge but they are recovering. we can;t predict the final outcome. after wii60 the ps3 still came second.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:02 pm

So what I'm getting from this recent news announcement and this thread's feedback is that gif is a lie?

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm

very, very much so

more like it collects dust and is dropped by retailers.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm

That's what I mean, Sony is gaining traction in the market and have been for a while.  It's hard to predict the outcome, but.  The XOne has such a bad name that it isn't hard to predict much on top of the the PS4 is also $100 cheaper.  You don't have to buy PS+ to stay social with your friends or use the PS Store.  You can have a great single-player experience with the PS4 and still be social with your friends that have PS4's.  Which in my town will be a lot of people with PS4's.  Then if you buy Plus, it's more than just online.  It's free games, discounts, early BETA's, exclusive content, ect.  Then since, you're paying for online Sony will have more money to fund that online servers and abolish this myth that "XBL is better because you pay for it."  The PS4 is everything Steam's console should have been, it essentially the whole package for core-gamers.  I know most will say, "the core-market doesn't matter.  Only aim for the casual-market."  The thing with that is the core-market influences the casual market.  The casual-market doesn't know any better so they'll follow the core-market like sheep.

@Count: Yes, that gif is a lie.  The Wii U doesn't print money.  If it does, well then Nintendo shouldn't have it sitting over the paper shredder like they do.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:43 am

The Wii U continues to lose support. I think the Wii U will be officially dead in about two years.
http://bgr.com/2013/07/30/nintendo-wii-u-sales-asda/
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Nintendo doesn't need third parties in order to survive, honestly. Reggie said it in a dickish way but it's still true. They'll survive on first parties (and exclusive games like Bayonetta 2 and Lost World, which is a new front they never had before), at least until 2017-2018ish. They've had all these games in the pipeline for years now so well definitely see some more games for years to come regardless of the third party support they never had and never will have. Once the first parties rack up the usual Nintendo sales, we'll see some third parties jump into the equation though. It's just right now, in its lull, that we see all this negativity.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:33 pm

What dp said..except the third parties will be shovleware. But nintendo sells their system with their own software, more often than not its bought as a sub console for said software whilst the sony/microsoft became the main system, this is no different. Nintendo haven't competed since Sega dropped out, they just do their own thing
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:07 am

That wasn't a post of third-party software argument. That was a about them losing more shelf space. In 555 stores across EU in the 2nd largest grocer in the country. When it comes down to, it doesn't matter how many Zeldas or Smashes they make. There isn't enough in the world to save them if they're losing shelf space.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 am

Except for, y'know, the internet. And they don't need to be saved, really. They've posted one loss, in a recession, with a console that has no games out yet, in their first venture into expensive HD development. The PS3 did exactly the same thing, with worse marketing, a higher price, and a lot more to live up to, and it got its shit together despite the Xbox being the go-to multiplatform console.

It's fucking Nintendo. Their dedicates 20+ million fans will find them no matter what happens to their previously-minimal shelf space. This would only affect the casuals who don't even know what a Wii U is. And by the time they would know what one is, Nintendo would have its shelf space back due to increased sales from the hardcore Nintendo market. It's the exact same issue the Vita's in, except the Vita has no hardcore market or appealing future titles to keep it afloat.

And I'll reiterate: It's fucking Nintendo. Everything will work out just fine, even though they'll lose the console gen as usual for modern gens. Meanwhile, the 3DS will probably hit 160 million shipped unless they release the third DS console by the decade's end, as sad as it is for the PS2 to lose its crown as highest-selling console. Hell, it's not too crazy to see the 3DS hitting 200 million if they whore it out like they did with the DS (and started doing with the 3DSXL, even though Miyamoto promised there were no new 3DS models a week before the 3DSXL's reveal).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:19 pm

While I agree with your position, but you're resting a lot on the fact that their name is, "Nintendo."  I don't see Wii U making out of this generation alive.  Nintendo should already be preparing to put the wraps on the Wii U and preparing for the next console.  Then while Nintendo survives on its first party titles in the handheld market, it's a different story in the console market.  It's been reported for every copy Nintendo sales, they're selling that copy at a loss.  They're losing money on the hardware and software for the Wii U.  While they do have the internet, I see the Wii U to only continue to lose shelf space.  Even with major titles such as Zelda and Smash.  Unless, Nintendo starts posting good news.  To say that they're name is all they need is by far the most arrogant and ignorant sentence you can say.  Then with the 3DS, the 3DS is the reason why they are still in good positioning.  Without the 3DS they would be in a really bad spot right now.

EDIT: Since when was a handheld a console?  A console is a console and a handheld is a handheld.  In this regard, the PS2 is still the best selling console of all time.  The DS is the best selling handheld and system of all time.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Well you can only type so much on a phone lol. I meant game system, since console is colloquial to that. And I believe that they're sselling games at a loss too, because they don't understand the scale an HD game is on. However, they'll learn quickly, and that software loss will change. On the subject of "they're Nintendo," it's not as ignorant a statement as you lead on. Brand name means everything nowadays. It's why I have a Sony phone - I trust them when they go in confidently. It's why the Xbox One is in trouble even with this change of heart we've seen. And it's why Nintendo will get sales regardless of the system's worth. They know how to play their cards, how to treat employees, how to make compelling IP, and how to make their consoles worth it. Right now they have spotty US advertising and an overpriced console. The PS3 had the exact same problem, except without a recession to hold possible sales back until the other consoles launched. The Wii U is a backup console, and because it's got no games right now, is overpriced, and is still waiting for the competition to launch, they're in a hole. Once the IP and next gen systems roll out, they'll be fine. Because in this world, brand is everything, and there is no reason to hold anything against Nintendo as a brand right now.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:17 pm

The release of the other next-gen consoles is another nail in the Wii U's grave. Looking at statistics, the Nintendo Wii is the least played console of this generation. People bought the Wii U thinking it was something that it wasn't. Then you look at the name, "Wii U" people instantly assume it's just another Wii. Then looking back at previous consoles, brand name didn't help the N64 of GameCube as the two consoles sold horbily. While the margin of profit was slight. I Don't think they pull margin of profit that's any better than those two consoles since the Wii U continues to generate losses. The only reason hold onto hope for the Wii U is because, "it's Nintendo." The system as been out for around a year now and they are still operating at a loss. I wouldn't put too much money the Wii U pulling out of this tough spot. I think we'll see Nintendo talking about a new Nintendo console in 2016. While my opinion may change if they can pull of a miracle and pull out of the whole. But, even for Nintendo that currently isn't the case because clearly the Nintendo name only carries weight for people that post on forums like these.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:28 pm

You would be surprised. Xbox may be the biggest brand over here but its Nintendo games that start discussions, everyone knows em. Nintendo will pull a profit.a slight one but they will.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey, the majority of gamers I talk to want the Wii U once the price dcrops, but what do I know? Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Lost World are all very appealing titles coming out in the next year in addition to literally every Nintendo-made title that got delayed due to Nintendo jumping the gun on HD development. No games right now, too expensive, a bunch of shit in the pipeline; the more we discuss this, the more clearly this resembles the PS3, well, and the Vita (except for the "content in the pipeline" part). And before you argue against those titles, remember that the target audience is greatly looking forward to most of them. And we're ignoring the "hidden" games that Nintendo is revealing early next year to avoid getting the ideas stolen, which likely includes a Metroid game of some sort. The company knows fanservice, so it's more than a safe bet that they'll pull through despite being so behind as far as the medium's norms go. Just drop the price, for Christ's sake. That by itself probably adds a good 50% more sales, not counting the inevitable Black Friday sales (that's when I'm getting mine). Nintendo isn't trying to make it appealing for some reason, and that by itself is the only reason one should really be concerned. Well, that and the fact that even Nintendo isn't using the GamePad effectively. They're frightened by this whole transition, it's quite clear. They've sort of shut down a bit to the fanbase, and I have no doubt in my mind that they'll blow through this phase. Not that another console would be out of the question for 2017-8ish. Though it'd probably just be a hardware upgrade still somehow packaged under the Wii U label.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:33 pm

The more we start to see this being like the PS3 is right, but the difference is the Wii U even with those games. Doesn't have a chance of selling 70 million units after the other next-gen consoles come out. As for, Black Friday. We'll see a small increase in Wii U sales, but larger increases in PlayStion and X-Box more than the Wii U. The Wii U is suppose to be next-gen, but it still continuously out sold by the previous-gen consoles. While Nintendo is a good converstation starter, it doesn't matter who starts the conversation. What matters is who's the hotter topic. Which seems to be the PS4 in most of the world, especially since the XOne was delayed in most of EU. While Nintendo can survive without third-party support for now. Heading into generation after this one. They need to look into investing into hardware like 12GB of RAM since 8 will be nothing in 2017. As well as better processor and of course an 8-core processor as opposed to the weak quad-core that's loaded into the Wii U. We can go back and forth with this, but clearly the Wii U only has four games coming out and that's only good for close to 30 million units. Then we also have to take into account that systems like the PS3 and Vita are highly desirable. As to where the Wii U isn't a highly desirable console.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Well it's been clearly shown that we're near our development peak. This is where processing doesn't matter anymore. Nothing more can really be done to make games better except good developers. There will be games that max the systems' specs, yeah, but those games will be commercial failures. We've already seen that games are starting to lose profitability even after 3+ million launch sales. The modern hardware is more of a burden than a blessing on developers IMO.

Also, it's not a surprise that the PS3 and 360 beat the Wii U, and it shouldn't be one when they do on Black Friday. Old consoles ALWAYS outsell new ones for quite some time. The only exceptions are when the new ones are forced upon gamers (see Wii, 360 after their predecessors were immediately discontinued). The PS2 kept outselling the PS3 until 2009! Not to mention the PS3 in particular is in its by far best year, and in one of the best years a console has EVER had. I doubt the PS4 will start beating the PS3 on a yearly basis until 2015, so listing the two other consoles over the Wii U on a sales basis shouldn't be a surprise.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top