3DS Sales Keep Nintendo Floating & Wii U Sinks a Little Further

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3DS Sales Keep Nintendo Floating & Wii U Sinks a Little Further

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 am

(Copied and Pasted from IGN)

"Nintendo released its financial results for the last quarter today, revealing strong 3DS sales alongside Wii U sales that are below even pessimistic expectations.
Nintendo remains in profit overall thanks to the strong performance of its assets and the recovery of the currency market against the yen, but it made a slight operating loss of just under 5 billion yen, around $50m, meaning that the business of actually selling games and consoles was not profitable. Nintendo attributes this loss to "total selling, general and administrative expenses [which] exceeded gross profit due to enhancement of advertising and promotion of Nintendo 3DS overseas to increase sales, and research and development for the Wii U software."
This is an improvement on last year's 10 billion yen operating loss over the same April-June period. Nintendo's overall net profit for the period was 8.624 bn yen, or $88.1m.
As ever, the sales figures tell the most interesting story. The Wii U sold just 160,000 units globally between the beginning of April and the end of June, an astonishingly low number. That's less than half the 390,000 units that it managed to sell in the final three months of its last financial year. Software figures were not much better: 1.03 million total for the quarter. Total Wii U sales now stand at 3.61 million.
The Wii, meanwhile, sold 210,000 in the same period, with 3.67 million games sold. It's just nudged over 100 million lifetime sales.
The 3DS, with 1.4 million units sold and an impressive 11.4 million games sold, has kept Nintendo afloat this quarter.
A number of 3DS games were very successful, chalking up huge sales. Animal Crossing: New Leaf, having already sold over 3 million units in Japan, sold another 1.59 million in the West up to June 30th. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon sold 1.43 million worldwide, and the report states that Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was "well received", though it doesn't give figures.
Nintendo is not adjusting its full-year financial forecasts, and there is no official comment on these figures as of yet."
Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/nintendo-financials-reveal-dire-wii-u-sales

Last edited by Anaconda_Vice on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3DS Sales Keep Nintendo Floating & Wii U Sinks a Little Further

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:35 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:
(Copied and Pasted from IGN)

"Nintendo released its financial results for the last quarter today, revealing strong 3DS sales alongside Wii U sales that are below even pessimistic expectations.
Nintendo remains in profit overall thanks to the strong performance of its assets and the recovery of the currency market against the yen, but it made a slight operating loss of just under 5 billion yen, around $50m, meaning that the business of actually selling games and consoles was not profitable. Nintendo attributes this loss to "total selling, general and administrative expenses [which] exceeded gross profit due to enhancement of advertising and promotion of Nintendo 3DS overseas to increase sales, and research and development for the Wii U software."
This is an improvement on last year's 10 billion yen operating loss over the same April-June period. Nintendo's overall net profit for the period was 8.624 bn yen, or $88.1m.
As ever, the sales figures tell the most interesting story. The Wii U sold just 160,000 units globally between the beginning of April and the end of June, an astonishingly low number. That's less than half the 390,000 units that it managed to sell in the final three months of its last financial year. Software figures were not much better: 1.03 million total for the quarter. Total Wii U sales now stand at 3.61 million.
The Wii, meanwhile, sold 210,000 in the same period, with 3.67 million games sold. It's just nudged over 100 million lifetime sales.
The 3DS, with 1.4 million units sold and an impressive 11.4 million games sold, has kept Nintendo afloat this quarter.
A number of 3DS games were very successful, chalking up huge sales. Animal Crossing: New Leaf, having already sold over 3 million units in Japan, sold another 1.59 million in the West up to June 30th. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon sold 1.43 million worldwide, and the report states that Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was "well received", though it doesn't give figures.
Nintendo is not adjusting its full-year financial forecasts, and there is no official comment on these figures as of yet."
Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/nintendo-financials-reveal-dire-wii-u-sales

dude remove the formatting like i just did, yours is unreadable
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 am

How does that work?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 am

better but you could just click this button 

go into edit, highlight everything and click it.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 am

I know, but I felt like making it white.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:01 pm

I wouldn't say the 3DS is what's keeping them afloat, since like everything it's probably being sold at a loss. It's the shovelware that gives Nintendo the money, in addition to all the money left over from the DS/Wii/GBA/GBC/GB/SNES/NES/Game&Watch systems. The Wii U alone would never kill the big N
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:08 pm

thats almost (But not quite whats been said) 

the 3ds (Like most nintendo machines) even post price cut is still not sold at loss, but even then its got only 11 million units, not enough to make a profit with the wii u tanking......except for the absurd amount of software its pushing. its almost like every 3ds owner buys every 3ds game! and as you said they got lots of money. even if the wii u does end up flopping Nintendo are good for a while. they have like 5 billion. in cash. just lying in warehouse, as safety deposits. and even with the Tanking wii u, they are STILL making a profit. its more the wii u than nintendo i'm worried about.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Last I heard the 3DS was at 20 million. And that was in 2012.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:03 pm

opps its 31.09 mill...........i misread shit.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:07 pm

The Wii U is gonna tank this generation, I see that happening especially with the newer consoles coming out. At first I saw the XOne doing worse than the Wii U but now I see it doing better than the Wii U. While they are in a good spot to last well after the Wii U. That doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is operating at a $50 million loss this quarter. We'll see how, Nintendo is doing in 5 years when they're talking about new hardware. For their sake, let's hope they focus on hardware so they can get third-part support instead of innovation.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:13 pm

In other financial news, Sega's rising up with the success of Company of Heroes 2. Hopefully now, they won't make stupid decisions and only release games in Japan anymore. I fucking hate that they're doing that with a lot of them...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:16 pm

One could only hope SEGA's rise continues and then one day. They might dawn a new console. :o
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm

anaconda nintendo only posted a lose on wii u not on the operation as a whole (Although that is due to the growth of the yen but it was the same with sonys last profit.) and we all said 3ds was in trouble. there is some killer software on the way for wii u, mainly smash. the problem is A) wii damaged their reputation for casuals B) casuals think its just a new wii and C) the ps4 and xbone also have killer software, with alot of it not announced yet.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 pm

I wouldn't consider Smash their "ace in the hole" They're gonna need a lot more than Smash. Like you said, to many it's a glorified Wii. Why would they buy it for the new Smash when they got Brawl? There is no real reason to go out and throw money at this console. You got Pikmin 3, but that isn't the money grabber. The money grabber in all of this is a Galaxy sequel and Zelda. I think this generation age is starting to show on Nintendo, they haven't released any new I.P in over a decade. They have one in the works, but will it be good? Who knows? We'll have to wait and see and I'm very aware of their $88.1 million net profit. At the same time, when the new hardware starts rolling out and people got the PS4 and XOne. The Wii U does start to become that over glorified Wii that casuals see it as. Nintendo like last generation will lack third-part support, but unlike last year. The Wii U won't sale anywhere near 90+ million units. For Nintendo, the Wii was a shot in the dark and they probably thought it would work again. That was until Sony started announcing things, and then Microsoft copying those announcements trying to make them better. At this point, the up coming console generation can only end in one way. Sony back on top and the Wii U in dead last. We'll have to wait and see what Nintendo is saying in five years though, right now they're treading on thin ice. Any wrong step will be the end of the Wii U before it's even 3 years old. Nintendo needs to think this through and make smart choices, or the Wii U will sink like a ton of bricks.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 pm

well i dunno. with the exception of second son Sonic Lost world looks like the best "Next gen" game if you include the entire wii u roster at least to me. but i have to agree. unless the new zelda is special as in Ocarina of Time special and this new ip something more magical than Hogwarts being burned down by a Night Fury with diarrhea (That is a jhoke) they may well be in trouble. there rep is certainly down at the mo.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 pm

I think that people are expecting too much from the new Sonic game. I tend to forget about that game because I know what the Sonic name means these days. I wouldn't make this Sonic any exception. It might be good and it might not, but it won't the game of the generation. If anything, it'll be the best nostalgic game this generation. As for the new Zelda, it does have to be special. It needs to catch our attention and show something worth buying.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:55 pm

i dunno dood. they have been getting their act together and this looks like the 2d games in 3d.sega are on the up and up.

it all comes down to Zelda really. unless smash has something huge. hell the existence of the 3ds version hurts it.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vytrova on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:57 pm

DP wrote:The Wii U alone would never kill the big N

What if I told you... That everything you said was RACIST.
Vytrova
I Don't Fear Death
I Don't Fear Death

PSN : Vytrova

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:58 pm

A bit, but even then I still think people are expecting too much from it. It does come down to Zelda, but at the same time the Wii U and 3DS version are different. You'll buy the Wii U version and get this content and buy the 3DS version and get different content. It's not that the 3DS version will kill the Wii U version. It's that the casuals that don't know there's a difference is what will kill the Wii U version.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm

^this.

i mean i am getting a wii u eventually and i will own both versions of smash. but most people don't know the difference.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:02 pm

That's what I was saying.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:05 pm

lpool1996moh wrote:^this.

i dunno i may have already pointed out you said that.....

yeah but everything everyone has said is not wrong (Except my 3ds numbers.....) but nintendo won't die for at least another two generations, and thats assuming tablets and phones run them out of the handheld market like they are ment to be now.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Vytrova wrote:
DP wrote:The Wii U alone would never kill the big N

What if I told you... That everything you said was RACIST.

What if I told you this forum never existed and you're staring at a blank screen right now?

@pool: When it comes to handhelds, smartphones and tablets will never replace a dedicated gaming device.  You can't get that full game experience on a smart phone or tablet.  Dedicated gaming handhelds are here to stay regardless of what any media outlet says.  They just want something to talk about.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 pm

i dunno. devs back then would have killed for games as complex as angry birds. they have come on so far, and the best of the 3ds vita market isn't much better than phones/tablets. you can get similar experiences (Hell some tablets on their way out SHIT on the vita,) the problem is the F2P model they adopt. there will always be a niche for handhelds, but its not gonna be a huge moneymaker thus it shall die. i mean we all play handhelds. how many of us actually use them for portable gaming? now who here sits by a charger and plays? who plays  their phone on the move? 

so in theory when tablets support experiences like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Or killzone mercenary without a f2p model it may well kill of handhelds. of course there are those of us who will cling onto their 3ds and vitas with both hands......i hate tablets.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:23 pm

The Vita has become more like a tablet and cheaper than most tablets that matter. The Vita is pretty much everything a tablet is minus all of the dumb app games that come along with it. I don't think a smart phone or tablet will every replicate a true gaming experience. It just isn't possible, $1.99 games will never be as enthralling or in-depth as $40 games.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top