[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 0

The Count Rants: Batman vs. Superman

Post by Count Mario on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I was originally going to make a Batman vs. Superman thread and display my thoughts, but lpool had the brilliant idea of coming up with a thread specifically dedicated to me ranting. However, instead of just a thread, I'm going to at least make this a weekly gig of mine. Although I can make a thread quicker than that, depending on my mood. Think of this in a similar fashion to DP's daily threads except it will mainly revolve around entertainment media and even life in general. I hope you guys enjoy the run for as long as it will last and I hope for your earnest and most honest feedback. Now, let's kick off the show already.

Before we get to the main attraction of the thread, I want to start off by talking about Man of Steel for a bit as it's a major factor in my upcoming rant. Beware, there are big spoilers ahead, so if you're even slightly interested in watching the movie, turn back. Seriously, please, you need to witness these events yourself. Now that I got that out of the way, Man of Steel could quite honestly be my favorite live-action superhero movie. Yes, on-par with Avengers. While other people may have varied opinions on its quality, I think that we could at least agree that it's a big step in the right direction for DC and its attempt at making a cinematic universe for their characters. And not only that, but it set up for a sequel to this beloved installment perfectly. Clark establishes himself as Superman to the entire world, he becomes a reporter for the Daily Planet alongside his newfound love interest in Lois Lane (who already knows that he's Superman, so we quickly got that hurdle out of the way), the military is wary of his existence and maintains a close eye on our Blue Boyscout, the city of Metropolis is wrecked from Zod's antics and requires reconstruction (which is heavily hinted and assumed that it will be put in the hands of Lex Luthor due to all of the LexCorp cameos, and could lead to establishing his character and rivalry with Superman and eventually make him a villain believably if paced properly and not rushed), there are hints of Supergirl's existence on Earth which could easily lead to someone like Braniac coming into play and thus reinforcing Krypton to come back and haunt Superman (promoting development, of course), it acknowledges other DC "character universes" existing through multiple other cameos and will soon come to light due to Superman's actions, and Zod forces Superman to choose between his heritage from Krypton or his life and dedication to Earth, in which he chooses the latter by snapping Zod's neck in order to save a human family and clearly showed immediate regret and trauma (which I could also see Lex Luthor using this against Superman since he decided to take a life on his own, albeit out of pure desperation).

In other words, everything was going along perfectly. A Man of Steel sequel was even confirmed shortly after Man of Steel's release and would be arriving before Justice League, thus assisting in not making the latter movie rushed by DC in order to compete with Marvel's cinematic universe. Kal-El needs more development and time before suddenly being thrusted into meeting other heroes, and so many seeds have been planted in Man of Steel that it would be plain ignorant to just neglect that growth by introducing so many major characters and villains that the spotlight would be stolen from what Supes deserves. Especially due to the modern public mocking Superman by labeling him as just being an overpowered goody two-shoes who's adventures aren't interesting and is barely relatable. Even though Man of Steel helped remedy that, it still isn't enough in my eyes. In order to survive, he needs to show consecutive success in order to prove that this was not a one time fluke and that those old stereotypes that didn't truly apply in the first place are not accurate. This is why a second solo-Superman movie is needed in order to properly help out DC, the fans, and the modern media in general.

Now, let's fast forward to San Diego Comic Con. At the end of DC's panel, Zack Snyder made an appearance and prolonged it in order to confirm that yes, a Man of Steel sequel is confirmed. Additionally, I just want to take this moment to say that a Man of Steel sequel should either be titled Man of Tomorrow or Last Son of Krypton, and given how I'm positively sure that a second solo-Superman movie would have Supergirl appearing and Braniac being the antagonist, along with tension and propaganda used by Lex Luthor against Superman due to Metropolis' collateral damage, I favor the latter title more. However, he went on to say that there was a particular element of the film that is so notable that it would help us learn what it was about. However, he didn't want to say what it is in order to keep up suspense, so he searched through the DC Universe to give us some sort of clue. Afterwards, he invited Henry Lennix to recite a quote from something that fans could possibly remember the origin of, which was from Batman talking to Superman at the end of their battle in The Dark Knight Returns. Now, I have a lot to say about DC using that quote and that movie in general alone, but that's coming up later in this post. After the quote was done, the overhead screen suddenly showed prepared footage that showed us what the element that Snyder hinted at was. Before I move on though, here's a video that shows off this specific event in order to refresh your memory. Feel free to watch it either for the first time or just for the sake of seeing it again, but you can skip ahead to the next paragraph if you want.

...Finally. Just finally. We're going to see the Blue Boyscout and the Caped Crusader meet for a team-up! I've been waiting for this for years! Not to mention that it's perfect pacing and would help rush Justice League even less due to building up character interaction rather than just suddenly putting them all into a blender. It makes sense, it's perfect timing, and this could help get DC on the road to help compete with Marvel in theaters while taking their time to do their own thing to satisfy everybody. 

Man of Steel > Last Son of Krypton > World's Finest > Justice League. And maybe a Flash movie in between the latter two due to rumors during SDCC, but it's just a rumor. Regardless, it makes sense and this is how it should be. Aren't you guys happy? The final pieces of the puzzle have been set and WE'RE GETTING EVERYTHING WE WANTED!

...Actually, change of plans. That's not even close to what we're getting, actually. Now, I didn't actually watch the event when the movie was announced, so I didn't know that they confirmed that THIS would be the next Superman movie. And to add onto that, David Goyer (Man of Steel's scriptwriter) confirmed that the most likely titles are Batman vs. Superman or Superman vs. Batman. The former is used in the thread title due to Warner Broc. not own the site that had the latter name, so the former is more likely.

So, I'm going to make this straight for you guys. We're not getting a solo-Superman movie as a sequel to Man of Steel, Batman vs. Superman is the most likely title for this movie, and given how they used the Dark Knight Returns quote which references Batman and Superman fighting, it is implied that is going to be the main focus instead of a team-up. My God, I never thought that I'd say this, but I do not want this movie. Dead serious. I mean, it just destroys Superman getting more proper development and not getting involved with other heroes yet. And even moreso, due to Superman's modern stereotyping and reception (like I said earlier), Batman being involved is just going to make him steal the spotlight that Superman deserves for his next movie. So forget about all of those seeds that were laid before that would mainly help develop Clark's character as a hero for himself, we're basically going back to square one for the sake of DC rushing their universe in order to compete with Marvel and not give Supes the development he needs in order to face his newfound past of Krypton, realize the damage he caused to Metropolis from his battle with Zod, having to recognize that it's not going to be easy to get accepted by humans due to inevitable negative reception and doubts by the public (in which Luthor would no doubt have a part to play in that), and recognize that he can't take lives like he did with Zod or possibly anybody from Metropolis or even Smallville due to his collateral ever again and must strive for the higher example in order to properly prove himself. 

And oh, don't even get me started on the implied rivalry aspect instead of a proper team-up like people actually requested. Now, of course the relationship is going to come off to a rocky start and even in a team-up film, they might exchange fists for a few minutes. However, that should in no way be the main attraction and focus because of several obvious things. One, it drives away the rightful focus of Superman and possibly even an equal ratio because Batman, despite being my favorite DC superhero on-par with Supes, is a completely overrated character that has to rely on prep-time to counter against most villains and heroes outside of Gotham and has bloated popularity due to the Dark Knight trilogy and various badass moments across non-comic mediums, thus spawning a bunch of fanboys and the overrated belief that he's the best superhero alive and practically the God of the DC Universe. Additionally, given what i just said about Batman and Superman being an inexperienced hero, I can guarantee that there's at least an 90% chance that Batman will win, or at least maintain a constant advantage over the Man of Steel through some bullshit of just being so smart and tactical. Prep-time or not, Batman can't ever beat Superman. Even with Kryptonite. There, I said it. People always say all of the time that Batman has beaten Superman or that he's too overpowered and whatnot, but he's actually NEVER beaten Superman in canon, and for the most part in non-continuity besides a single occasion where he had help from three other superheroes and literally years of planning in a comic that got less than favorable reception, thus meaning it didn't count if it wasn't obvious enough. If you don't believe me, just check out this link that documents every major fight they ever had in comics and explains my reasoning flawlessly.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/citizenbane/blog/superman-vs-batman/79268/

Oh, and I mentioned that I would talk about that Dark Knight Returns quote, right? Well, I'm just going to copy and paste my reaction to that scene from a PM I sent to lpool once I had finally saw the scene it debuted in.

Now, let me tell you something. I've never watched either part of The Dark Knight Returns. I mean, I never thought it was bad at all, in fact, it always looked pretty awesome. The only scene I ever watched was on YouTube with the scene where Joker kills everybody on a live talk show and his death in the Tunnel of Love, in which the movie looked pretty awesome. However, I didn't know much about it except that it was based on a comic by Frank Miller, he had a new Robin at the time called Carrie Kelley, and that it was about Bruce when he was older. That's literally it. However, when I discovered that the story had Batman and Superman and fight, and whenever I would look at images of Bruce in that cheesy armor that looks like it was made out of kitchen pots fighting against Supes, I would always just cringe and couldn't stand looking at it. And when I finally watched this scene after discovering that it was used in SDCC and seeing it for the first time in the video I sent you in my last PM, I hate this quote so fucking much. Now, I'm not going to call the movie bad or anything because I'm sure that for a Batman fan like me, it's pretty fucking awesome. However, every time I look at this scene, I just can't help but just laugh. I'm not even kidding, this scene is just garbage to me. And this is coming from someone who loved and felt emotionally tied to ASM #700 and SSM #9, because they actually didn't butcher one of my favorite heroes and make the battle results look like a biased joke due to the winner being an overrated old man who in fact DID NOT win and wound up dead in the "loser"'s arms after dying. I mean, that scene was a joke, right? Please tell me it was.

Basically, what I'm saying is that when I do watch The Dark Knight Returns, I'll probably like or even love it. But when it comes to this scene, or probably anything remotely related to Superman in the movies, I just have five words to say. Fuck The Dark Knight Returns.

...Why did DC have to use that quote out of anything they could've said in the conference? Just why?

So there you have it. The first of these consecutive rants displaying my displeasure of DC rushing their cinematic universe out of their ass and feeding even more popularity to Batman instead of giving us a real Man of Steel sequel that would give everybody the ideal movie universe schedule. I want to hope that this is good, that it'll work out in the end, but I have a hard time believing that. And it's hard to admit this because it's a movie about freaking Superman and Batman meeting in live-action! Alas, I hope you forgive that it was so long, but I just had a lot to say about this announcement. I'd like to send regards to lpool once again for inspiring me to start this activity, and I hope to deliver this community more juicy and exciting ranting in the future from yours truly. Thank you all for reading. I look forward to reading and replying to your comments.

Last edited by Count Mario on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Count Rants: Batman vs. Superman

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Not angry enough SHOW ME YOUR KNIGHT FURY (there is so many puns. In those two words) 

I kid nice intelligent rant. I like. Next time rant about Pixar or Sakurai. Just two issues I like.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 pm

I don't want to push it, but since you inspired me, what were your favorite parts about this rant? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

And I'll definitely consider those. For next week lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Your sudden swing from hype to not so hype (and were the HYPE HUMPS...wait what) was enjoyable, in terms of facts the batman v superman thing.....I know I knew about it but its uber satisfying.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Realistically, this is an accurate summary of Batman vs. Superman.

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

This is sort of expected, given the plans Warner had for selling out a DC CU as quickly as possible.

That's about all I have to say, though. Good rant!
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm

I didn't see your reply yesterday. XD

Thanks. And I edited this rant so that it isn't in red font. The only reason it was is because I didn't know how to remove text formatting before.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Actually that's a good idea. The red font dis hurt my eyes a bit, at least on iPod.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top