Your Top 5 Gaming Handhelds of All Time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Top 5 Gaming Handhelds of All Time

Post by BigBox on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:39 pm

1.  PS Vita (For handhelds, there almost is no other like it and sets a pretty high bar for how a handheld should be designed.  With more time, games and price drops.  I think this system will change how we look at handheld gaming.)
  2. DS
  3. Gameboy Advanced
  4. Gameboy Color
  5. Gameboy
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Top 5 Gaming Handhelds of All Time

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:53 pm

1. 3DS
2. DS
3. PSP
4. GameBoy Advance
5. Vita (the only reason why this is last is because I've only had the above four and can't properly judge the Vita yet)
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I didn't like the PSP, I thought it was a poorly designed system.  Mainly because there was two ways of movement and for free-control camera games.  They were awful experiences because the camera control and running control were on the same side of the system.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Well to be fair, the only reason I picked the PSP above the GB is because of software. If I can get proper judgement on a Vita, it'll most likely be above the PSP in my list.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah, the PSP did have better software and better support.  I think right now not many developers are turned-on to the Vita with its low sales prices.  The Vita is in a similar spot that the Wii U is in.  It can't find ground to sale, it needs more games and it just can't get that third party support to get new and unique games on it.  It's clear the Vita is highly desirable though.  It was competing with the 3DS on a weekly basis in Japan with only Soul Sacrifice and a price drop.  When the PS4 comes out, Sony NEEDS to get behind this system when Gaikai services start rolling out.  They NEED to support cross-play, cross-buy, play any PS4, PS3, PS2, PSOne game anywhere, the social experience.  They NEED to make that U.I for the Vita a lot more accessible.  Other than that, it's already a highly wanted product, but it doesn't have software to support its price point.  When it really comes down to it though, it needs to do everything I said above as well as got new and unique software and a price-cut.  Then when the 2nd-gen comes along they won't need that price-cut as long as the memory is built-in and there's a lot of it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:They NEED to make that U.I for the Vita a lot more accessible.
What's wrong with it? It's incredibly quick and tapping an app to use it isn't very complicated at all. 

Anyway. In no particular order.

Gameboy Advance SP:
I actually didn't have many games for this. I owned it as a child and that's why it's important- with a short attention span and errands to accompany my mom on, it ensured I always had something to do. I enjoyed the Sonic Advance games greatly, Kirby & The Amazing Mirror is an incredibly sentimental game for me, and The Urbz is probably my favorite game on that whole system. Seriously. You wouldn't think it, but. . .
It also fixed all the problems present with past handhelds. Gone were the days where you had to keep restocking or recharging your batteries or playing in the light. A back lit screen and a rechargeable internal battery made life that much easier. And more fun. And that great backwards compatibility. You could play every Gameboy game on that system. Original, color. 

PS Vita:
But of course. Well, wait. The system is really expensive. So are the memory cards, and original games are few and far between. I love the system but recognize each and every flaw. So what gives?
Firstly, you've got the most comfortable handheld ever conceived. Dual analog sticks and a large device to wrap your hands around along with a fantastic d-pad and buttons that click whenever pressed. It's satisfying. The screen is also something gorgeous. 
Despite the fewer offerings on hand, I find myself using my Vita more than I ever did for PSP for actual gaming. Playstation Plus. The offerings on hand before were fairly pathetic- PSP fighting games- but it's improving, especially as existing Vita games are only getting older and more likely to be put on Vita. I wish that the PSP games picked were at least cool, though. I haven't really liked any. I'd love to play Medievil with dual analogs, or any of Square's titles. 
It also contains many console features. Trophies, the much-asked for cross game chat is finally here, and a multitude of other services. You can even Skype while playing games now. That's just cool to me. You may argue other smart phones and tablets carry apps like Skype or Netflix, but they're not dedicated gaming consoles and those titles will never reach the same depths. And I don't know who wants to watch Netflix on the 3DS's tiny little baby screen. In short, it just has a lot of great features, good games (though few and far between) but this is changing, and if Sony ever fixes the pricing and when they release PS4 it'll only get better.

PSP:
Firstly, everything is wrong with the PSP's design. Camera and control buttons on the same side. Small size, difficult to grasp. Analog is just a tiny little nub that's rough to the touch. Later designs feel like plastic. UMDs are noisy noisy. I don't even think the selection of games is anything special other than a few here and there.
But I like because you can make it do whatever you want. I put Homebrew on my PSP forever ago and now it's a portable genesis, nintendo/super nintendo, gameboy and more. It's one thing to have all these emulators on your PC, sure. Yeah. But when you've got a SNES game in the palm of your hands on a great screen you forget about the stuff like analogs and just enjoy what you have. I just hope the homebrew scene isn't completely dead with the Vita here. I was always looking forward to things like a working Saturn emulator or a perfect N64 emu. . . but these might be more feasible and simply better on the Vita one day.

DS:
This thing made touch controls and dual screen a possibility in gaming. It lost a lot of BC, but regular Gameboy games were still playable on the original model. Which was fucking invincible, by the way. I think throwing a Nokia at it may be the only way to break the first model. Anyway, it has great games. It was also pretty comfortable to hold. It's mainly here for the good library and contributions to gaming. I didn't own a lot on it, and I mostly played Pokemon which is a pretty bread and butter game. Not like it needed two screens or a touch screen. My only complaint is that so many models were released and I can't fathom why anyone wasted money on something like an XL. DSi was also ugh.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 am

Shadowbhiemes wrote:
Anaconda_Vice wrote:They NEED to make that U.I for the Vita a lot more accessible.
What's wrong with it? It's incredibly quick and tapping an app to use it isn't very complicated at all. 

I didn't say it was bad, but it could be better.  Things could be faster, I think that they should kind of take that PS4 U.I and move it over to the Vita.  At the same time they should take the PS4 U.I and tailor it to be unique to the Vita.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 am

I never said it was bad, either. It's already ridiculously fast to me. It doesn't even take a minute to close one game and open another. Switching between web browser, skype, the PS Store, or any other app all takes less than a couple of moments. I don't know if it really needs to be faster. It operates much more quickly than the PS3 or even my Android. Honestly, I don't know a faster device. At least not one that stays as fast a while after it's just been bought.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 am

1. 3ds
2. GBA
3. DS
4.GB