Story cutscenes removed from SSB4 due to internet leak

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Story cutscenes removed from SSB4 due to internet leak

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 pm

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/25/sakurai-says-super-smash-bros-wont-contain-story-mode-or-cutscenes/

“Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet. You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I’ve decided against having them.”

In exchange, we'll have introductory sequences for Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Villager, and hopefully everybody else on the roster.

This... I have no words. Just none. I... I'm going to go crouch down in a corner now and rethink my life as a gamer.

Last edited by Count Mario on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Story cutscenes removed from SSB4 due to internet leak

Post by Neß on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm actually fine with this. Granted the cutscenes were freaking cool, but SSE made it way too easy to unlock characters in Brawl, (That and the stamina mode trick thing) which really ruined the experience for me.
Neß
Death To All
Death To All

PSN : PSIHeroNess (I never actually play online though.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:26 pm

That's a let down, well there's one thing All-Stars did better I guess. xD
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectCell21 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 pm

While i wasn't going to get smash right away i might not pick it up at all now if it has no offline value the best thing i liked about crossovers was the interaction now it feels like the only thing i'll be buying it for is just to go online Crying or Very sad , i liked sse even if it people didn't like it they could had improved on the flaws
PerfectCell21
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : PerfectCell21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vytrova on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Neß wrote:I'm actually fine with this. Granted the cutscenes were freaking cool, but SSE made it way too easy to unlock characters in Brawl, (That and the stamina mode trick thing) which really ruined the experience for me.
... you didn't HAVE to use the stamina trick... it was you who ruined the experience, not that trick
Anaconda_Vice wrote:That's a let down, well there's one thing All-Stars did better I guess. xD

Im sad all-stars had no unlockable characters
Vytrova
I Don't Fear Death
I Don't Fear Death

PSN : Vytrova

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm sad that All-Stars didn't have unlockable characters too. :(
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:45 pm

It's not that I really give a damn about the story itself, because SSE's was lackluster (as good as the cutscenes looked) and way too Kirby-biased (stares at Sakurai). Still, it could've been better, and even if the story was still lackluster, it's a fighting game and a crossover between Nintendo franchises. Of course the story won't be spectacular 8/10 of the time, as much as I'd like it to be. I'm just fine with the Adventure Mode stages.

However, that's not what I'm upset about. It's the fact that Sakurai decides to pull the "one rotten apple means everybody gets punished" reaction. I mean, they were already finished, for Pete's sake. I know that I'd rather have some type of story instead of nothing theatrical at all if it's already been done before I was notified of its progress. To just get rid of them out of the blue when they aren't even flawed in themselves means that the time and work put into them was meaningless. The guy is literally just going to exclude them just because of one guy and thinks that he speaks for all of us while making this decision? No offense, and I didn't like him much before for several reasons, but he's just coming off as nothing more but a pretentious prick here. Seriously, this is a major blow to the hype and there's no doubt that there's going to be long-term backlash from this.

Really, I'm surprised that nobody really cares here. Well, then again I'm sort of not, but still. This is pretty much the Dart situation all over again, except that these were actually finished and were made for the retail game itself.

Last edited by Count Mario on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Fighters in general dont normally have unlockable characters anymore in case the fgc picks it up. Mk9 with cyber sub zero is last one I remember. 

Ssb4 will have em though. You know who. Luigi jigglypuff and....I forget the others

also count (get back to httyd!) Sse was more action movie type story just good fun. And it was. And I'm gonna miss it.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 pm

what in the hell??? thats like the biggest kick in the balls for all nintendo fans....

I never owned a wii and soo the only times I have ever played brawl was when I went to my friends house to play some 4 player local and so I am unaware as to if there are other forms of independent play in the SSB series. what a shame No

adventure mode is good but as someone stated above, having a story where all of the characters interact is definitely necessary..
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectCell21 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm

there's no doubt that there's going to be long-term backlash from this

I don't know from what i read people think its alright  since they think that time can go to balance or adding extra modes but when in reality it still won't be perfectly balanced and i don't think any mode will good enough to make up for the lost of interaction or cut scenes.
PerfectCell21
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : PerfectCell21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm

No offense lpool, but you're one to talk after claiming numerous times in the past about how disappointed you were with All-Stars story concerning the Arcade Mode cutscenes while I've tried explaining how much of a clusterfuck the story would be if it was actually consecutive and had everybody interacting. You make an excellent point though that the cutscenes were more action-oriented, and honestly, that's why I liked them in the first place. Like I said before, I could give less of a damn about the actual story quality when compared to just watching the action portrayed. My main gripe is that to see this feature gone, along with the potential of possibly having at least somewhat of a decent story (I'm jus being optimistic with that aspect though) and having already been finished at this point, is just literal bullshit. Seriously, Sakurai's stooped to a new low in terms of respect by making this decision and portraying the situation as if he's speaking for us. I mean, I'm not going to go into random Nintendo and Smash Bros. threads and rant about this 24/7, but I'm jsut going to be honest here. This is just ludicrous, and that word alone isn't enough to describe this.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Hey the all stars stuff made every single character look like the hulk. Always angry looking for a fight, easily insulted. I mean sure they were hollow that's to be expected but Sse wasn't like that. Mostly the characters were portrayed well although a little too much attention to Kirby....well just Kirby. A Kirby scenario/character/item was at the heart of everything. But it was still really fun. Also the final boss was ACTUALLY HARD! Classic will just give us the hands again.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Oh no, it wasn't just Kirby. It was EVERYTHING Kirby-related. Literally that whole series was bloated towards being the flagship franchise of SSB. The Halberd sending out the Subspace minions, King Dedede of all people being the one to predict Tabuu's existence and make the Timed Badges, Dedede managing to revive Luigi and Ness (thus being the roster's only hope), Dedede kidnapping one of the princesses and thus gaining the main hero brigade's attention (you know, this story might as well have been titled Dedede Emissary at this point), Meta Knight leading the swordsman group, invading the Halberd, regaining back control of his ship, etc. My God, was Sakurai biased when he made that story. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who realized this.

And the All-Stars cutscenes might've done that, but at least the cutscenes were just mean to be quick and short interactions. And honestly, I thought that they were still in character (well, barring Sweet Tooth and his sudden negotiating fetish). Meanwhile, every character in SSB just makes gestures and never talk, and just have weird up-close screentime with each other that somehow allows to communicate through some type of facial language. I mean, Nintendo characters often have the personality of a brick, but SE just went overboard with it. It was fun though, of course.

But you're missing my entire point though. I've had to say this two times before. I don't give a damn about the story quality. I was just mentioning that there's always the chance the story could've been bearable/decent and that would've been the cherry on top of having the good o'l action scenes. My main point throughout this whole thread has been that Sakurai pretty much gave the same excuse Capcom did when Mega Man Legends 3 was canceled. AKA, pinning the reason why this is happening on the fans as if it's their fault. Not to mention that this was like the Dart situation, except these were actually fully finished and made for the actual retail product. Do you understand where I'm getting at here, or am I just speaking gibberish?

Oh, and I'm still watching the movie. I'm just switching between that and keeping up with discussion.

EDIT: I have no idea why my font changed, so don't pay attention to that.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 pm

I meant the series not the character. 

And really look at the jak+ratchet cutscene and tell me jak would defend Dax the way he did. No he wouldn't attack ratchet over Dax being called weasels creature. He would also not attack ratchet over the whole worthless skirmish. Cole would not have beat around the bush with Raiden, he would have mentioned EVERYTHING... I can go on. 

But I mean most Nintendo characters don't HAVE vas beyond what they had in Sse there are exceptions of course.

but yeah I get it now. The cutscenes are done and he's cutting then that's bs.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Ehhh... I don't really mind. Lmao
I'm sure others are pretty disappointed by this but, I'm quite indifferent about the lack of story mode.

But, that also means that Nintendo looks like they want to push SSB4 out as soon as possible resulting story mode being shafted. Just don't rush that gameplay Nintendo.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I don't see why Wario would ever go for Princess Zelda when Peach is a few feet away. I don't see why Yoshi trusts a blond swordsman over his own abusive best friend for less than two decades. I don't see how Dedede would ever be the type of person to create the Timed Badges (granted, he has tried to save the day a couple of times in the Kirby series, but SE tried to portray him as an all-righteous fatso). Why would Mario only notice Peach on Dedede's transport vehicle and not Luigi? Now, it's obviously granted that PlayStation characters have much more personality than most of the Smash Bros cast and I generally actually agree with you more than really caring about any of the stuff I just mentioned (I'm really just playing devil's advocate), I'm just trying to show how I could easily adapt how you view All-Stars' story to how I view Brawl's, regardless of what they were supposed to be stylized as, respectively. And just because don't have VAs doesn't mean they're literally brain-dead (most of the time).

AND he's pretty much blaming it on us. You forgot that part.

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 pm

I can answer some of that. Sse also had gameplay over arcade,along with awesome bosses. Why was sakurai of all people trusted with story? Kirby games ain't exactly huge on story.  Meh Nintendo logic. I see your point though. Thing is as you said that was a narrative, I can forgive. But with how small the cutscenes in Pasbr are, the least they could do is get it right.

And I'm used to that. Remember when DmC flopping was our fault? Megaman legends? Dart being cancelled? There is way too many instances of devs not wanting to admit they were wrong and blaming us.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am

True, but unlike most of those examples, he's posing it as if he's doing us a favor. In which that is what I find to be particularly insulting. Masahiro Sakurai, you are now on my Ultra Naughty list.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 am

Your going to send in Arach-naughts and Spiderlings to project sora? "insert superior reference"
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 am

Nah. I'm going to convince Sakurai to lend me Nintendo's resources in exchange for showing them my blueprints for new game development technology. When I have all that I need, I'll lead an invasion on Project Sora with my army of robotic commandos. "insert ratchet & clank reference"
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 am

+HEAVILY armed robotic commandos. They are always heavily armed. 

flattening project sora with a reference to one of Sony's most well know mascots is the most extreme form of irony.

anyways were off topic....yeah I never liked sakurai. He is the epitome of Nintendo right now. Out of touch in the EXTREME.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 am

meh just gives them more time to focus on gameplay
its like a single player game doesnt have multiplayer who really cares
ssb64 didnt have cutscenes
melee had very few cutscenes
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:09 am

apparently they confirmed some for of character customization, (Namco are the best in the business at that) buuuuuuut Rather than appearance it'll be similar to Tekken Revolutions, Character Enhancements. if that happens it doesn't matter what sakurai does the game is competitively dead at launch even if the gameplay is Melee 2.0. this was in the same blog post but everyone honed in on the story cause sakurai is a dick.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:25 pm

I like the enhancements idea, if I had a Wii U I would buy this game.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Wait, I don't see where it exactly says the story mode was already finished. If he's cutting things that are already done. . .well, then that's his own development time and money lost.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top