General Animated movie discussion.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Animated movie discussion.

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Here we can discuss every animated movie that isn't a comic. i feel this deserves its own thread away from the general movie thread

Soo who has seen despicable me 2 or Monsters U? are they any good. i really wanna see DM2.

also on another note this trailer got released and is now my most hyped movie that isn't ratchet and clank/ comic book related. 

in fact i'm more hyped for this than most comic book movies. 

i just loved the first one so much and actually went and watched the cartoon recently which is Really good (Dreamworks making a good cartoon........i know i'm shocked too) and expanded the lore and characters of the series. i'm really hyped for this one.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General Animated movie discussion.

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Disney's next big movie is called Frozen. And no, this isn't about Walt Disney's frozen head. It's actually Disney's next big movie.

The trailer looks gorgeous, to say the least. But I'm sure you're all wondering the same thing. Why post a video in Japanese? Well, this is what America got as a trailer for Frozen.

...Suspect Yeah. This movie will be based on the book, "The Snow Queen". I'm a bit disappointed that we aren't getting another 2D-animated movie akin to The Princess and the Frog or Winnie the Pooh 2011 after Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled, but I can deal. I'm very interested in how the Snow Queen's character will be portrayed since if you read the novel and look at the first trailer, she's an antagonist. Her name is also Elsa. What I'm hoping for are two things. One, Elsa does not get redeemed at the end of the story, because I want her to be a memorable/intimidating Disney villain after looking at her appearance and powers, akin to Maleficent, Jafar, etc. Secondly, I would love it if she was the first Disney princess that's a villain, since she actually is classified as a princess in the movie. Although since Merida became a Disney princess, Anna (the girl protagonist) will probably take that spot, sadly.

As for HTTYD2, I still haven't seen the first. Although might want to.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:47 pm

i know the story of Snow queen. must say it is bland. unless they do a HTTYD and completely change the source for the better....uninterested.

i highly recommend HTTYD. it and WiR are the only movies i can think of  that challenge pixar at their best with out being pixar. its also the only Dreamworks ip that is not a comedy yet is funnier than most of em. its plot is excellent, characters excellent, the animation, the music..all great. its also the best use of 3d that isn't avatar i've ever seen.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Bump. Dreamworks just released turbo...like anything not named kung fu panda(incl 2) or HTTYD or the first 2 shreks, its very average. Dream works you have so few good movies...stop trying! See DM2 or MU.....I mean discuss! 

also comic con is coming up. What do you wanna see?

Last edited by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 pm

lpool1996moh wrote:Bump. Dreamworks just released turbo...like anything not remates yo Jung fu pand le HTTYD or the first 2 shreks, its very average. See DM2 or MU.....I mean discuss! 

also comic con is coming up. What do you wanna see?

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Not kidding my phone switched to spanish, I typed in English thus l33t speak was born.

I go fix.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 pm

ok but im leaving it quoted because that was hilarious
anyway my favorite DW movies are shrek 2, kung fu panda, HTTYD, and my most favorite of all is kung fu panda 2
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 pm

I agree. Leave it there. Made me chuckle. 

On the whole best dream works movies, I like the first 2 shreks the kung fu pandas hut HTTYD is IMO better than most pixar films (especially the post incredibles stuff...even up imo) where as kung fu panda and shrek are slightly below some of pixars efforts (although above cars and brave). Unfortunately HTTYD was up against toy story 3 for best animated film....and imo it shoulda won. It was almost as touching without needing prior knowledge of the universe. Toy Story 3 can't be stand alone to work. It hits you with nostalgia to do its job, although it is still a great movie I think httyd is better. It also had a better score (as in sound track before count pulls up rt and metacritic) than most of em.it really is that good. 

But DreamWorks sucks other than that. The shreks sequels where awful (puss wasn't that bad a movie though) and its other efforts including anything post kfup2 suck. Credit to Madagascar for improving every sequel. But its watching these and stacking pixar and httyd up against em...in essence they are bad comedies relying on physical humour and only the first 2 shreks and the pandas got it right. HTTYD was much cleverer in its humour nor did it focus on said humour and was better for it. And was funnier than most of em "Thank you for nothing you useless reptile" cracks me up everytime...

I mean their not fox/bluesky "milk ice age only first was good bad" but as good as httyd is, DreamWorks will never rival either Disney or pixar, hell if universal can do stuff as good as despicable me... They may lose their fan base. They should focus on Po and hiccup, leave these racing snails and cave people and holidays alone. At least we have one more panda movie and 2 httyd movies in the pipeline. And their great shows unlike the rest of the dreamworks crap. We also got a turbo and croods show...

I rant good.....I'm gonna Stahp. Ill scare people off. 

Now I'll just watch people attack me over my opinion of httyd...
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14 am

Y U BE EXZITED FOR TEH DRAGONZ 2 OF DEH DREAMWORKS?!?!?!?>Q?@:OKSPWS! PIXAR AWAYS GOD-TIER! DISNEY IS 3L33T! TOY STOWY 3 MAD GRWN MEN CRY! DREAMWORKS SCKS, DISNEY4LIFE! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 am

Count your phone is set to spanish.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:20 am

Being serious, I don't mind you say that How To Train Your Dragon is better than Toy Story 3. In fact,w hat you said is very true. However, I don't think we should be comparing a hyped sequel that grown men have waited over a decade for that hits your feels and is one of the best threequels of all time to a new franchise that gained major success for Dreamworks and is one of their few memorable and above-average films. Heck, HTTYD is probably better than most Pixar movies (I only say probably because I haven't watched it yet). Although TS3 is still one of my favorite animated movies of all time, I'm not going to attack you lol. I can definitely agree with Kung Fu Panda and the first two Shreks though, because, well, I actually watched them. And also how Madagascar stands up (although I have something to say about it getting better with every sequel when it comes to Madagascar 2).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 am

It pretty much was the hype that won the Oscars and I think braves victory this year proves how little the Oscars mean in this category (30% on rt, wins Oscar...logic is gone) and my only problem with toy story 3 is that you need to have watched the others and for a sequel to be good on its own you cant have that. At least with they way they went about it. . Love me a great narrative.but it doesn't have that either. The story is not spectacular in any way in all 3 films but its how the cast was characterized that pulled them off. You grew attached to them and forgave the shallow plot due to how much you cared for them (i'm gonna say this now, the only exceptions to my love for the toy story cast are red Jessie and...buzz. and that's only cause their voice acting is horrible. The rest of the cast is sublime but their voices kinda pull me outta the movie. I love how they are done but the voiced break the deal) 

and unlike the previous two toy story 3 didn't do that outside big baby and lotso, at least for me. Not to mention the ten year gap which as you mentionef in your 100% legit l33t post, helped make grown men cry, it would have no effect on kids who hadn't seen the first ones. Again I love it and it is one of my top 5 pixar efforts but...there are problems. As you pointed out though there really is no better movie with a 3 at the end. 

honestly httyd is my ratchet style recommendation for movies. You must watch it my friend. Fun fact its the only 3d dream works film in the 90s on rt with 98. Some Pixars have 99 to 100 though..... But given DreamWorks abandoned traditional animation after shrek and claymation soon after despite making better movies up until httyd in those mediums. Money is king...

Madagascar 2 is at least on par with 1. Although its not as funny and made no improvements in how good the plot is (and Marty still has buzz syndrome...I love him but he removes me from the world so I hate him...I blame Chris rock just like I blame home improvement....I mean Tim Allen.) it doesn't make fun of its emotional depth....plus mort and the shark... And Madagascar 3 is by far the best of the bunch. Not near pixar level but one of DreamWorks best.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/19/comic-con-dreamworks-previews-how-to-train-your-dragon-2-and-peabody-sherman

hype? Hype. 

Seriously great castings and the footage sounds great...is hiccup holding a flaming sword In that poster...wah? He is a good swordsman in the books despite being scrawny but....ITS ON FIRE!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 pm

ok i wanna rant about something and it belongs here.......good for everyone? kay! 

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/samuel-j-jackson-wants-incredibles-2

this is the main point of discussion. but i will get to that. 

Most people may have noticed but from Cars 2 on Pixar have been ranging from average to Bad. no with the exception of MU these movies were genuinely awful and MU just average, heartless (compared to the original) sequel so my first question in this my pixar rant is what are pixar doing wrong? i think personally i found the answer and its Disney thats the problem. probably.

The problem started with Cars 1, and furthered with Cars 2. these movies and every character and set piece in them were designed to translate to kids toys which is where they make their money (Cars was a box office flop for a kids movie, especially a kids movie). it was a movie designed to sell little boys toys. expensive toys. and admittedly as a kid they were they type of shit i would buy, hell i saw a picture of me playing with a spider man car that looked suspiciously like Lightning Storm McQueen. with spider legs for wings. so in that regard it makes sense. and despite the two tanking they make so much money from toys it ain't funny. problem is its marketed solely at young boys! Brave is the Parallel. It is marketed only at young Girls. this move makes no sense for Disney as their own movies like Tangled sell alot of toys to Girls, recently thats been their sole purpose. up until Wreck it Ralph recently anyway. i know they got what they deserve because Mirinda toys tank in favour of classic princesses according to various sources including my own cousin who works in the local branch of Irelands biggest toy store (Don't ask how it came up.) it was a box office and Critical Flop yet still won an Oscar........oh you stupid stupid academy.......anyway! 

so its clear Pixar are making movies almost solely for toys at least to me. Finding Dory is definitely a way to put Finding Nemo merch back in circulation and THE GOOD DINOSAUR! from a mile away i see where this markets to young boys. MU even was to market at kids......and ironically just like Toy Story 3 college students. the only movie i have hope for is Inside out but that could go the way of Newt and be so random they could just sell whats around their office. 

so heres my big question.......WHY HAVEN'T THEY MADE INCREDIBLES 2! 

Superheroes are the in thing and will be so until at least Justice League which could butcher the Genre if done wrong. if it doesn't expect it to stay until at least Avengers 3! The Toys sell like Hot Cakes and 3 of these movies broke 1 BILLION DOLLARS! 

Kids movies as well always do well with MU and Despicable Me 2 dominating! and their toys also sell like hot cakes. 

so why isn't this a thing? the crew wants to do it, the actors clearly want in (One of which being one of the busiest men in the gig playing Fury and all) the fans want it and they are ready to pelt money at them to get it! combining the Two most successful genres around in an easy Family based story. i mean pixar are the best in the business at relationships with every single movie having touching ones. i mean if the can nail the whole toy story cast relationship they can nail the family of five. you could make it about them growing up, a proper coming of age movie! HTTYD is the only other animated coming of age movie i can think of and the can cover all the stages of life at once. Jak Jak going to school, Dash to high school, Violet to college and The parents getting elderly. the only hurdle i can see is the villain and his scheme (You know it can't be cliche) but pixar always have good villains! its so easy! its not like disney don't know how much these genres make, They lead the pack in both. WHY ISN'T THIS A THING! 

and thats my question to you. Please find logic for the Incredibles 2 not to happen!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm

I loved MU... I think it's underrated, personally. Calling it heartless is definitely a bit harsh in my opinion.

Anyways, I generally see the point of what you said, but Brad Bird said that he doesn't want to make a sequel until he finds a good plot. Which I can respect, but honestly, it's so easy to find possible plots and such that I don't really think it's a truly viable excuse if they're willing to just throw out wild cards like Finding Dory.

Also, something I tend to find ironic. I don't think Brave was really made to market to girls (at least regarding Pixar and not Disney's interests) but to try a hand at more fairy tale-esque tales. And what do you think of when it comes to fairy tale movies? Disney. And guess what? They pretty much fell flat on their face, with the movie only being decent at best. Meanwhile, Disney tries to create a more captivating and original story that focuses around a topic that isn't generally the norm while providing tons of pleasure to all ages. And guess what that's like? Pixar. And Disney flew with soaring colors regarding that creation. Take that as you will.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Like you said its bs that he can't think of a plot when I got half one there. Its way too easy. I mean I'd pay to see that concept and I expect bird could trounce it. 

The problem with mu really was its heart. It didn't have its own boo. That's what I meant. Its not heartless generic cash grab like ice age or the shreks 3&4 but it lacked emmotion.

brave just screamed girls toy for me. If they wanted Medievil they could do something.better. even with a female protagonist which doesn't fit the period imo without being a feminist "stick it to the man" cliche common place since mulan in this medium (and the only one to do it right). This was clearly a generic princess movie toy seller and as such failed miserably. I expect more after tangled and princess and the frog. I don't like em personally but they were bearable. Brave was not
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I thought the relationship between Mike and Sulley filled up the spot of Boo's absence perfectly. Especially how MU was more from Mike's perspective after being portrayed as the cynical and paranoid best friend in the first movie. No offense, because I can see what you mean, but "lacked emotion" my ass. Not that I'm not allowing criticism, it has plenty of flaws.

And it wasn't medieval... lol. I can agree now, though. I will give Pixar credit for drawing from Scottish tales for inspiration. And they even failed to make Merida likable. It was like a female Jak II that got little development and never had any other notable qualities besides being a whiny tomboy.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Ok maybe not lacked emotion maybe had less emotion than nearly every good animated movie ever? I guess. Its still better than most things DreamWorks lol. (how can I be so hyped for httyd2 and hate DreamWorks this much?

It pretty much is Medievil or "post Romans pre renaissance Britain" or the dark ages. It was just Scotland is all.

and yeah down with that description. Cause it boils down to this movie sucks! Wait she's a princess now....oh fuck what if this is the pixar movie in kh3!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Well, I don't know much about Scotland history, so I'll take your word on that. lol My argument just feel flat on its face.

And I can respect that sentiment. Especially since we'll all bah Dreamworks in the end, regardless. Also, I wouldn't mind Brave as a KH world in general. But if she gets in KH3 over Toy Story, heads are going to roll.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Thats what I mean. Buzz ain't exactly a Disney princess eh? 

And brave had a castle. Castles are Medievil, Norman to be precise. I shoulda taken history.....

If you wanna feel good about a movie just watch DreamWorks. I mean as I said their ratio of good/bad must be the same as pixars bad/good. 

I mean 5/21 (24% approx) good for DreamWorks and 3/14 (22%) bad for pixar.

Of course that's subjective but I used the 5 commonly accepted as good (shrek/2 kung fu panda/2 and httyd) and 3 bad (cars/2 brave) to get those numbers.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Going a bit off-topic into Disney movies in general, I personally really liked The Princess and the Frog and Tangled, for what they were, I mean. Weren't on-par with pretty much any of the previous Disney Princess films, but they were still better than everything that came before in the mid-2000's (Meet the Robinsons is debatable, but that's where I draw the line) and came right after them on my list of favorite Disney movies. God knows that I at least need this guy to appear in a high-def KH game:

Facilier is easily the best Disney villain since Frollo.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 am

Meh I guess. I liked his energy.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:18 am

i loved dr facilier he was a desperate villain something thats hard to get right but when its done right said villain becomes quite dangerous
but as lpool said i really want incredibles 2 loved the first one and it ended on a cliffhanger (kindof) also incredibles is my most wanted KH3 world :)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:22 am

They answered that cliffhanger in a game. A bad one at that.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 am

Honestly, it wasn't a cliffhanger at all. The Parr family became heroes and their villain of the week came by after Dash got into sports. So basically, the ending is that they just kept on being heroes. I really think that people use that word too loosely when it comes to movies like Incredibles.

With that said, Toy Story, Monsters, and/or Incredibles need to be in KH3. No exceptions unless one of them is already in there.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top