Super Mario 3D World

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Super Mario 3D World

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm

So wait, this is a video with a four player 3d mario that actually has Peach (and not just another Toad) playable and all of the characters having unique abilities along with a cat power-up that can climb on walls?

This trailer almost made me shed a tear... But it sure as hell had me screaming and jumping up and down. <3
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Super Mario 3D World

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Eh...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

it looks okay
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Online co-op would make this game for me, honestly. I have to see more to confirm this, but I just don't think it feels as epic as some of the other 3D games. Like this is the kind of game that I would just get for the co-op, but without online gameplay I would probably play it a bit and it'd sit on the shelf for a while.

Off-topic, but does the Wii U even support headsets? I hope it does because online gaming is never getting off the ground without them.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Eh, I don't mind that I'm the only one who appreciates this game so far (don't take that in a jackass type of way). Especially since it's local-based.

Well, I've seen the Wii U use webcams and stuff (especially since one of the Nintendo Directs showed that), so that at's least one form of communication. Although I've barely been using my Wii U lol, so I don't know the specifics.

And to be fair, I think this more of how FFA/All 4 One compares to the main Ratchet series if I were to perhaps give an example of the overall "epicness", if that makes sense.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Those are actually listed as spinoffs, though. From what we can tell, this is just the next main-series 3D Mario game. That's why I question the lack of an epic feel.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 pm

I've personally viewed them as self-contained titles that are canon and have story, but main focus on unique features and gameplay that probably won't be repeated much. Not really as spin-offs, so to say. But that's just me.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm

That description perfectly fits what a spinoff is, Count. From Wikipedia:
In media, a spin-off is a radio program, television program, video game, or any narrative work, derived from one or more already existing works, that focuses, in particular, in more detail on one aspect of that original work (e.g. a particular topic, character, or event).
They differ in their main gameplay mechanics. I'd say that 3D World does the same, but the co-op gameplay has been done before in several Mario games; the Catsuit acting as the main aspect of the logo could hint at it being more spinoffy than we may think. Given the series' love to make spinoffs I wouldn't doubt it but right now it seems more like a main series incarnation.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I know, but I just don't like the term "spin-off" if it's canon and could have at least some potential influence on future main titles. When I think of spin-off, I think Mario Kart. Not something like FFA or A40 which could possibly change Nefarious' moral alignments in future titles. Sorry, this more or less has to do with my gamer psyche rather than literal meaning.

And it IS a main series inclusion. You can trust me on that. It's just not really being too revolutionary and mainly trying to adapt/perfect 3D Land while making an original adventure by incorporating all-new features like co-op and such. Which is basically what you said but used in the opposite direction, I think lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 pm

i will say im loving the new powerup its the most unique powerup in a while
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I agree, though animal suits are reaching saturation lol. Well, at least in reference to the entire series.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Taxidermy can never be saturated

I agree. I just really want the Super Cape from Mario World back. Really, I'm surprised that Nintendo's still only focusing on animals including the Tanooki Suit but not the cape (especially since World is Miyamoto's favorite Mario game actually).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I fuckin' loved that cape.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 pm

The cape is my favorite Mario power-up, actually. Probably the closest thing to a good Superman game lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm

cape was the best powerup
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 am

Again, I still feel bad that this game isn't gathering much attention simply because the main features aren't as innovative as Galaxy or Sunshine is. Personally, I'm glad to have a more natural and root-based 3D Mario for once, which besides 3D Land you didn't really often see (even in 64, arguably). The boss even encourages you to use power-ups, which is VERY rare to see in 3D Marios besides the bosses where you were forced to use the Fire Flower in the Galaxy games (there were only about two or three at the most though by my memory). Besides, these levels definitely have quality and are far from lazy. I can assure you that as a Mario fan. But I digress...

Although a lot of rumors are spreading that Bowser isn't the main villain, but Wart from Super Mario Bros. 2 actually is. Which would sort of make sense since Peach isn't kidnapped and how this game does seem to take from SMB2 (at least in terms of the multiplayer mechanics such as each character's unique abilities and advantages). I would personally say that I think it still might be too much of a stretch at this point, but I'd definitely love this a hell of a lot more than an average Bowser scheme and giving another Mario rogue the spotlight for once.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Wart being the final boss leaves one major hole: When you die, the Bowser face fades you to black.  Barring some plot twist halfway through the game that reveals Wart, I'm not sure about him being the boss, even if that'd be a great idea to change things up.

Other than that little comment, I must say that the game looks at least somewhat more inspired than it initially seemed.  I can't tell just yet, but it seems to at least be genuinely trying to remove that soulless feeling that NSMB gave the series.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Oh, thanks for that tip about Bowser, DP. I didn't notice that lol. And speaking of normal bosses, I feel like Tatanga (the villain from Super Mario Land) was a lost opportunity as a boss in the Galaxy games. Look him up and you'll instantly know why.

And 3D Marios always get work put into them. That's why I rely on DK to get some good 2D "Mario" platformer goodness nowadays then the actual plumber himself, sadly.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 pm

I still REALLY wish this game had online play, though.  I know there's a 1% chance of them even having considered it during development, but that would really make this game for me.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah, i could definitely agree with that too. Along with having that feature in DKCTR, because I really want to play some co-op multiplayer on platformers on Nintendo consoles. Especially since none of my friends live near me. worry
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:44 pm

I mean, at least SSB4 will have multiplayer, but by the time I were to get that on Wii U, I'd probably be out of state from the friends who'd come over to play it.  Since I'll probably be getting a Wii U over during Cyber Monday or Black Friday (I'm sure as hell not paying $300 for it, not with the PS4 launching in the same timeframe), at least I'll be able to enjoy some games like this locally before I head off to either New York or Los Angeles for college.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by shikiyakumo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 pm

shikiyakumo
LANDMASTER!
LANDMASTER!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:57 pm

One thing I noticed is that the platforms before Goal Flags are actually reasonably close and leveled so you won't have to endlessly use the Tanooki Suit to glide onto the top for a gold flag.

Also, I noticed that you can also roll. This also mucho bueno. Boomerang Mario's projectiles have longer distance and OMG, MEGA MARIO! HUDODGGUIDBSKUSIS
*Ahem* Cool. And it's a really nice touch that you finally have something to use against ghost enemies with the Flashlight Block. Not to mention that YOU CAN GO INTO A KOOPA SHELL AND RIDE IT. JKSKGJMFSMJFSJNFBMDTYDFYDKBSSJHSKLSHSIULGSGUSLGFSTYUFSUTFSTUSFUSFSUKSYSSUYGUYGSKSKSNUSGSJHGSKBSFBSRYDJSYSVSDVSRSBTSJSS(@(*@&^#^#^@&&##

*Ahem* Sorry. Again. The Goomba Disguise is actually pretty neat, but it looks vey context-specific. I'm reallyc urious about that crown though, although it'll be fun to fight for it if it gives you some type of score advantage (but then again, who gives a fuck about scores in platformers if they don't unlock anything).

Furthermore, Toad is apparently called Pinocchio in Japanese...

Moving on, I remember a video exclaiming about how those collectible stamps allow you to get a unique sticker for each level. And at about five minutes in the first video, there are actually ninety of them. So it's good to see that the game's length is covered, although nobody ever doubted that in the first place.

So overall, I'm even more pumped for 3D World now. And for anybody out there who doesn't know, if you look at this pic:

If you zoom in on the upper right corner, you can see the Comet Observatory from the SMG games. So hopefully we'll be able to explore it as a bonus level/world or something.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shikiyakumo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:09 pm

I love the part where Mario kills a Goomba and then wears it's skull. lol
shikiyakumo
LANDMASTER!
LANDMASTER!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Mario has technically been cannibalizing the decapitated heads of Toad citizens, considering how the SMB manual states that Bowser used dark magic to convert all of them into blocks... lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top