Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Metal Gear Solid V/Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes Discussion

Post by DP on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 pm

I found this interesting:
http://www.gamesradar.com/not-even-kojima-knew-what-do-ground-zeroes/
The title sounds harsh but it is a genuine comment to any fans irked by the existence of pre-release DLC.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Very interesting read, but one thing that I personally don't see Kojima as the kind of guy that would milk his fans. Even if that's what this was, who cares? It's not like he's gonna release anything bad.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:46 pm

No, Kojima would never milk his fans, but saying "so what?" to if he did is NOT the right mindset. I'm sure no AC fan saw the series going to shit when 2 came out. But look at it now: Shit. Directly because or milking. Given, there is no lead developer that we know by name working on that series, but for another example that DOES have that I'll mention Mega-Man. Inafune loves the fans but that didn't stop the franchise from dropping quality as it got milked.

Again, slightly different scenarios, but the point remains that milking is not something any fan should brush off. Ratchet has walked that fine line for 12 years now, and only because theyve kept above that line (the expetimental gAmes are both wholly justified, so I don't count either as milked) do I still respect Insomniac
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:03 pm

You do make valid points, although the point of AC having no lead developer calling the shots makes it a pretty lousy comparison to MGS. The Mega-Man comparison by far is more in line with MGS than AC. Although, at some point I think that people can point out and figure out which decisions were forced by, Capcom. I would say to compare Kojima Productions and MGS with Insomniac and Ratchet & Clank is 100% the best comparison in what you typed.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Well that wasn't really a comparison since MGS isn't annualized lol, but I can see some parallels. My point was that milking almost directly leads to a drop in quality, and as a fan you don't want annualized franchises. I would never ask for a new GTA every year because they'd quickly lose luster to a fan like me, if not overall. Ratchet has prevailed as the exception in that there's rarely a tangible drop, even in a spinoff like A4O.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, even then milking something won't always lead to the series dropping in quality.  I think in the case of, MGS Kojima would make a good game no matter what.  If there is one game that can really qualify for milking in the Metal Gear Franchise that isn't, Metal Gear 3: Solid Snake's Revenge(not made by, Kojima).  It's gonna have to be, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:48 am

okay i know i keep saying this but something HAS to be up with this kiefer sutherland business.  This new video just came out.

The undercover agent that snake speaks to in this english demo...is voiced by QUINTON FLYNN!

Seriously!?  So Kojima brought back all of the english voice actors for everyone from peace walker and even found a role for Quinton Flynn (Raiden) but Hayter is still no where to be seen?

Last edited by this_is_marko on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:29 am

If this were, Solid Snake you were talking about you would have a valid point but it isn't.  This is, Big Boss we're talking about here and the voice change for him make sense since they already changed his voice before.  I also doubt that's, Raiden he's interrogating since he would be far to young to match that character and doesn't have brown skin.

Edit: Jump of the "why isn't, David voicing Snake?"  Bandwagon, because it's better for, Big Boss to have a different voice from Solid Snake.  Where does the blind fanboy hate come from?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:41 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:If this were, Solid Snake you were talking about you would have a valid point but it isn't.  This is, Big Boss we're talking about here and the voice change for him make sense since they already changed his voice before.  I also doubt that's, Raiden he's interrogating since he would be far to young to match that character and doesn't have brown skin.
I don't think you understood me about raiden.  It's the same voice actor that raiden had, not raiden himself.  It's still odd because all of the old voice actors are being called back except hayter, even if they're not voicing their main character.  

And at least for the ground zeroes portion, it's a totally valid point.  Ground Zeroes takes place less than a year after peace walker and in peace walker, he was voiced by david havter.  No one's voice changes that drastically that quickly with the exception of preteens.  If big boss only had the new voice in the phantom pain, that would make sense as he had been in a 9 year coma and the muscles responsible for his voice weren't being used for so long.  I'm 99% sure the only reason they changed his voice in MGS4 was because it would be weird for hayter to be talking to himself.  In Japan, Big Boss was voiced by snake's voice actor's dad so it would sound nearly identical but with some slight differences.
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:04 am

this_is_marko wrote:
Anaconda_Vice wrote:If this were, Solid Snake you were talking about you would have a valid point but it isn't.  This is, Big Boss we're talking about here and the voice change for him make sense since they already changed his voice before.  I also doubt that's, Raiden he's interrogating since he would be far to young to match that character and doesn't have brown skin.
I don't think you understood me about raiden.  It's the same voice actor that raiden had, not raiden himself.  It's still odd because all of the old voice actors are being called back except hayter, even if they're not voicing their main character.  

And at least for the ground zeroes portion, it's a totally valid point.  Ground Zeroes takes place less than a year after peace walker and in peace walker, he was voiced by david havter.  No one's voice changes that drastically that quickly with the exception of preteens.  If big boss only had the new voice in the phantom pain, that would make sense as he had been in a 9 year coma and the muscles responsible for his voice weren't being used for so long.  I'm 99% sure the only reason they changed his voice in MGS4 was because it would be weird for hayter to be talking to himself.  In Japan, Big Boss was voiced by snake's voice actor's dad so it would sound nearly identical but with some slight differences.
For starters, Big Boss smokes cigars and for every one cigar that he smokes it equals seven cigarettes.  With in that span you can prove, or disprove how many cigars he has smoked in that time.  You can't deny that cigars have a nasty habit of messing up a smoker's throat in a short amount of time.  Also, given that the "Deja Vu" Mission exists it's likely that Solid Snake makes some kind of cameo at the end and will be voiced by, David Hayter.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:18 am

For someone like Big Boss, cigars wouldn't change his voice that quickly either. If an unhealthy slob like Fidel Castro can survive with the same voice on constant cigar use for over 60 years, Big Boss wouldn't change voices in a year.

That said, it shouldn't be a huge deal. There may be a reason for it, or it may be a simple retcon. Blindly overreacting in defense of or offense against the change without any real in-game knowledge yet isn't really fair.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

i honestly just hope there's some sort of explanation for it in game.  I'm not saying that changing actors is necessarily bad but it can take away from the submersion of a world if there's no reason in their world for it to happen other than "we got a different actor to do it".  For example, even though i've never watched it, Dr. Who has come up with an explanation as to why the main character is played by a different actor every 5-10 years and that fans accept it.  It makes sense in the universe that shows takes place in.  On the other hand, it's always really jarring when a show/movie series has had someone play a character for a long time, and then the actor changes, but all of the other characters (who have also been around for a long time) still act as if nothing has happened to that character.  One of the positives to MGS being a video game is that its a lot easier to explain why someone's voice sounds different as opposed to a movie/tv series why someone looks and sounds completely different.  Being a fan of the series for so long, i just hope they say something about it.
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm

DP wrote:For someone like Big Boss, cigars wouldn't change his voice that quickly either. If an unhealthy slob like Fidel Castro can survive with the same voice on constant cigar use for over 60 years, Big Boss wouldn't change voices in a year.

That said, it shouldn't be a huge deal. There may be a reason for it, or it may be a simple retcon. Blindly overreacting in defense of or offense against the change without any real in-game knowledge yet isn't really fair.
Not everyone is that lucky.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:06 pm

I mean, since we're talking about an infertile dude who's been through every imaginable hell, I guess you have a point lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:48 am

big boss is infertile?
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 am

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Les_Enfants_Terribles

The whole series practically relies on that small fact. Otherwise he could and possibly would have just had kids to continue the line. The cloning is what made him leave the Patriots and ultimately led to the creation of Solidus.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 pm

oh I forgot that he was exposed to radiation.  i knew the rest
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Many things have happened to his body over the years and smoking likely only made it worse.

Last edited by Anaconda_Vice on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 am

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down