[ 1 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 11

The Last of Us

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

So, for whatever reason, I can't seem to find the topic that was made for The Last of Us. Therefore, I am making a new one.

Now that the demo is out for all you who bought GoW: Ascension, what did you think of it?

I think that it was great, for the little bit of time I had to play. The demo is reletivly short, but gives a good feel as to how most of the game is going to control, and let me tell ya, it seems pretty good. From the start to finish, there's a feeling of tension. And it keeps that tension all the way through to the end of the demo.

The combat is pretty fun and fast moving. It works just like we've seen in all the conference demos in the past. You can choose to sneak around everything and use silent kills, like strangling or stabbing enemies with a shiv, or you can go full force into the enemies with whatever you can find. If you wanted to, you could go through the demo just shooting everything down, but you will most likely run out of ammo, unless you get headshots every time (Something almost impossible to do due to how fast things move). On my first try I tried sneaking around everything only to be instakilled from behind by a Clicker. That's right, enemies instakill you if you're not careful. The second time, I found a pipe and attached scissors to the end of it using the crafting mechanic, which is simple to use. Then, I ran straight into everything and just used that upgraded pipe to beat the shit out of everything. Melee is very amusing as every time you hit it seems pretty cinematic, but not too much where it doesn't fit or seem like a QTE.

After playing the demo I'm super hyped for this game... awesome
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last of Us

Post by god-of-paradise on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:35 pm

I was actually going to start a thread about this today or tomorrow xD I am very very very very very hyped for the last of us. I have a question for you pyro since you have played the demo. So you state the clicker enemies can insta kill you. How does that work? Were you given a chance to escape with damage still taken? or do they straight up eat you alive? o.O give us those juicy.. throbbing.. details, please?
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jechtsphere on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 pm

I looked for a topic yesterday but couldn't find one. I was sure there was one before.

The clicker is blind and comes after you from sound so be careful when you decide to go shooting willy nilly YAY

I usually don't buy day 1 but couldn't help it and pre-ordered yesterday lol
Jechtsphere
Staff
Staff

PSN : Jechtsphere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm unfortunately going to miss out on it...=/

I was so pumped for it man, I'm glad it's a great game from what you guys have played!
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Sadly I have to many games as it is, I look at my back log and frown. It's overwhelming, and yet I plan to pick up a 3ds along with 3 games. So The Last of Us is going to be one of those christmas games.

I can wait, my patience is strong *flexes patience muscles*
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:38 pm

god-of-paradise wrote:I was actually going to start a thread about this today or tomorrow xD I am very very very very very hyped for the last of us. I have a question for you pyro since you have played the demo. So you state the clicker enemies can insta kill you. How does that work? Were you given a chance to escape with damage still taken? or do they straight up eat you alive? o.O give us those juicy.. throbbing.. details, please?
If you don't have a shiv then you will be instakilled as soon as you are touched by a Clicker. You just get a death scene with the Clicker tearing at anything on your neck or face. If you do happen to have a shiv, which you have to craft from scissors, you get a split second to press the button that shows up before it grabs you, but the shiv won't kill it, even though it looks like it does. It just stops the Clicker from attacking you for a second or two, giving you a chance to run.

Also, this being the main thing I was worried about, the flashlight is really good. It really lights up the area you're looking at and doesn't seem to run out of battery quickly. You'll know when it's about to because an icon of a controler moving back and forth will pop up. And you know what that means... SIXAXIS motions are used to quickly keep the flashlight charged for just a little bit longer before it eventually goes out for a bit. Also, it seems all types of infected completely ignore the flashlight, allowing you to use it even while sneaking around them. Most likely, only humans will see the flashlight and actually do something.

Whatever you do, DO NOT FIGHT A CLICKER IN HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT! It will just dodge the first punch you throw at it, grab your arm, and rip it apart, causing an instakill. And sneaking up on them is almost impossible.

There are four types of infected, two of which are in the demos we've all seen while the others aren't. Lurkers have a natural camo trait apparently and will hide in the environment, waiting to strike if you get too close or are too loud. And the fourth type of infected is just listed as "B," with no information on it whatsoever.

Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 pm

O.O that sounds pretty f'ing intense! I wonder what the hardest difficulty will be like since, I am assuming, the demo you played was on normal (demos usually are on normal difficulty).

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/03/the-last-of-us-multiplayer-modes-played-and-tested/
The link takes you to an article on the first details of the multiplayer portion of the game. Not much to go off of still but its something at least.. I am really hoping that the multiplayer keeps regenerating life out and sticks with how the single player does it.

The article doesn't state whether or not the infected take part in the multiplayer so I can't judge it now but I always thought it would be cool to have a elimination mode where two teams have nothing to start off. No guns, melee weapons, health packs, etc and so the goal would be to race each other in scavenging items before the sun goes down and be the team to survive the invading infected (AI). You could have battles with the opposing team members in the attempt to bring back supplies to your team but the more you battle the other team, the less health/ammo you would have to survive the infected.
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

So, basically something like the Battle Royal or the Hunger Games... That would actually be pretty fun and awesome to play, but I imagine many games would go on for hours depending on the number of people.

After reading that, it seems like whatever you find, you keep until used.
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:40 pm

wow o.o I was thinking of a more fast pace version of that mode but actually.. turning that into a team based hunger games would be pretty awesome. It could play out exactly like single player in the sense that you must stick to the shadows from the infected but at the same time, attempting to sabotage the other players or even their whole base.

Perhaps you could have it so severely wounding a player near their home base and having them bleeding would attract some of the infected, forcing the enemy team to fight it out with the little supplies they have or abandon it all and run.

I just think it would be cool to have the same survival desperation of the single player brought over to multiplayer. Not more of the same gun crazy kill fest that every game is now a days.
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, that article basically listed two of the seemingly many customizable load outs: The stealth class and sniper class. Something tells me I'll be using stealth quite a bit in multiplayer...

I'm also glad that they kept Listen mode in the multiplayer, but toned it down so it could only be used every once in a while.

If the infected are included in the multiplayer, I see a lot of opportunities for the enemy and your own faction to jack each others shit up. FUN!

I am, however, very worried about melee kills in multiplayer. How will the victim be able to break out of the melee combo? If you've seen any of the demos with a melee kill in it you'll know what I'm talking about. Those things are brutal...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 pm

I am sure the stealth class is going to be the most satisfying lol I really want their to be tension when you play and the fear of dying to be there, rather than.. "welp, I died, press square to respawn"

It would make sense if the infected made it in. I mean, the whole game is set in a world where the infection has created hell on earth. Its like how in bioshock 2's multiplayer gave the ability to control a big daddy. It wouldn't be the same without them.

I have tried to stay away from watching gameplay videos but yes, I have seen the brutal melee kills xD it will be interesting to see how naughtydog does this. Uncharted's melee system was... rage inducing lol I have preordered the game at gamestop and one of the perks is bonus melee damage sooo it isn't going to be instakill at least. Maybe you have to have a team mate help out in order to survive
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:21 pm

So... There was a gameplay leak... Kinda hoped it didn't end up looking the way it does. If you don't want to be spoiled then don't watch it:
Spoiler:
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:13 am

nonononono.. please tell me you are trolling me pyro D: you're making the multiplayer sound like its bad. I haven't watched the video but tell me.. is it "guns a blazin?" or is it a small feature like the melee that you dislike?
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:29 am

Well, melee doesn't seem that much of a problem: Still brutal, but a bit slower, allowing time to hit back or get away. As for multiplayer... Well, crafting everything on-the-go looks fun and interesting. But so far it looks mostly action, which players will most likely assume that it has to be played run-and-gun style.

It's too bad that they will... Gives my stealthy approach free targets anyway. Also, there are stealth and knockdown kills... Or you could just knock their weapons and equipped items off of them, take them, and leave the enemy player there to either suffer from blood loss, get killed by another player, or run away as fast as possible. Either way, they're stuck without primary and secondary weapons... lol
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:32 am

damn /: hopefully the video is just a sign of the game still evolving though and the run and gun tactic ends up unreliable and unsafe. I don't want it to be another uncharted multiplayer with the run and gun crap -_-

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_last_of_us/b/ps3/archive/2013/06/03/naughty-dog-breaks-down-the-last-of-us-multiplayer.aspx
heres another article on the multiplayer (A NaughtyDog is personally interviewed for this one) It sounds fun.. but not quite as slow paced as I was craving it to be..
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:46 am

Good. That article basically explains that being stealthy is gonna get you farther into it than run-and-gun. Awesome!
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:56 am

That is what their intent is lol... hopefully it stays that way
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 am

It won't it just won't. I don't know how but it won't.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm

There's always gonna be those people running and gunning like in Uncharted, but doing that will cause most to focus on one thing at a time: Shoot whomever gets in their way. Whereas I will be hiding in the shadows, trees, or rooftops where I can easily take out my prey with a silenced sniper or take them down with a stealth kill.
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Do you know if you are able to start off with these heavy weapons though or must you search for them (or parts) 1st? gahh.. screw it. I might cave in and watch the video -_-

I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about the game or anything because I know I am going to like the multiplayer simply because its naughty dog and they always do a good job
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 am

Just wait a few more days, man and you'll see for yourself!
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:50 am

10 more days.. 10 more dreaded, long, hot, boring, random pasbr match filled days* -_- I can't wait that long man D:

EDIT: unless you meant in a few more days a public demo would be released but I won't be playing that
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 pm

ign gave it a ten (Colin not Greg) and 95 on metacritic
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Practically every multiplayer always ends up run-and gun. The Last of Us's chances at winning Game of the Year strongly sit on the success of the multiplayer, because even at its best, the single player can only really match BioShock: Infinite's. If the multiplayer ends up in any way reminiscent of the Uncharted 3 fiasco (publicly, not gameplay-wise), then I think GotY goes to GTA V.

I'm not doubting this game's success, don't get me wrong. I'm just giving my analysis of what could happen with this multiplayer. It LOOKS good, but then again, so did Sonic 06 by the trailers, so I never really tend to trust trailers alone. And of course, the multiplayer will be (sometimes blindly) praised by reviewers, but it must succeed at least semi-long-term if Naughty Dog wants to outgun GTA and BioShock. And that's one of the reasons this year's GotY race is gonna be so interesting to watch play out.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

i understand that. so i'm going to copy/paste igns MP segment. with a 95 on meta it must be good but as colin explains the mechanics we can get our own idea.

The Last of Us’ online functionality exists within a mode called Factions. Once you begin, you choose one of two sides and then jump into one of two sub-modes: Supply Raid and Survivors. Both are atypical in their approach, especially Survivors, which presents players with a best-of-seven series in a four-on-four match where death is brutally permanent. Survivors forces meticulous play virtually ripped right out of the campaign, except instead of fighting AI-controlled partners, you’ll be dealing with even smarter humans. It’s a truly fun mode, one where every player on the map is overflowing with nerves and afraid to make a mistake.
Supply Raid, on the other hand, is about whittling down your team by eroding their overall life count. It’s more generic than its counterpart, but the idea of having a shared number of lives forces you to strive for better play. It makes you not want to be the reason your team loses, it makes you not want to make silly blunders. Like Survivors, Supply Raid also allows you to craft items on the fly using components found on the map and feels a whole lot like the single-player game. By scaling back the modes and the player counts from the likes of Uncharted, Naughty Dog has removed the tall barrier between single player and multiplayer and has made the two feel interconnected, even ancillarily.

What’s especially neat about The Last of Us’ online functionality is the metagame that transcends everything you do. When playing online, your character – who is fully customizable in both appearance and loadout – is the leader of a band of survivors. Successfully navigating online matches, collecting items and engaging in one-off challenges called Missions helps grow your band. Of course, if you fail, your band decreases in size. It’s a simple system in premise, but it’s undeniably addicting when you start getting into it. It creates another, higher level, a different way to gauge your overall success by something other than wins or losses and your kill-to-death ratio. Like the single-player campaign, which judges your actions based on future consequences, so too does multiplayer in The Last of Us reward or detract based upon performances that, at the time, may not seem entirely consequential.
Then again, The Last of Us is still all about its single player campaign. Many players will never jump online, and frankly, they won’t be missing out on what truly makes the overall package so incredibly special, so exceptionally noteworthy, such a must-play experience.

ok....that sounds really good. it also sounds like it may not have mass appeal but you never know, especially given how far Walking Dead (Telltale obviously) got. and Journey. it definitely has my curious.

However i will also admit one thing they cannot account for is the servers. Sony have horrible servers we know that. hopefully the smaller games may help them cope.

but this really does seem like GOTY. especially if GTA5 tanks and with that 3 character mechanic it just might (Probably not but still)

For me GOTY is between This and Bioshock and was from the start.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top