[ 0 ]
43% 43% 
[ 3 ]
14% 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Cloning

Post by Count Mario on Sat May 25, 2013 2:51 am

Figured this section needed a bit of a boost today. I recently saw a video during my Biology class (which came out in 2003) that basically talked about how far humans have gone through the development of trying to produce clones, all of the successful animal tests, the famous cloned sheep (Dolly), etc. Not to mention that about a literal week ago, the first successful separation/cloning of human embryos was actually accomplished just by applying caffeine to the process. However, this is still a touchy subject due to the risks, the likelihood of how long it will take for technology to perfect this, it's potential immorality, defying religion, etc. So the question obviously is are you in support of the current strive towards producing the cloning process?

Also keep in mind that there are two different types of cloning. The one most people are familiar with is reproductive cloning, in which you extract someone's DNA/gametes/embryos in order to produce a fully replicated human. The other is therapeutic cloning which is supposed to help assist in curing diseases such as cancer, healing crippled limbs, etc. by harvesting stem cells (which alone would make for it's own topic, so it's really two birds with one stone here). As I have noted, which side are you on? Answer the poll above and leave a comment, argument, rant, whatever you want. And in case you're curious, I'm on the pro-side of this actually. But I'd love to see some devil's advocation here though to try and make me think otherwise.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cloning

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat May 25, 2013 5:24 am

I don't see the problem probably cause I'm atheist. if your experimenting on embryos they are dead. Its like eating eggs they were never gonna be baby chickens. I'd say the only immoral thing is that some women would who're themselves out for them to donate said embryo. But cloning? The world could use more me! Imagine a full time job whilst in school!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat May 25, 2013 10:36 am

This is an odd subject for me, because I'm neither religious in any way and I'm pretty much morally bankrupt, but I still feel like something is wrong with this idea involving humans. Animals are fine for reproductive, so long as it's used right (people can pay the $50,000 if they really want their beloved dog back). Humans however...I can almost guarantee that will turn ugly, either through some horrible mistake or simply by the religious backlash.

Therapeutic cloning, so long as it's safe(r than it currently is), is of no issue to me, so I'd say that it's fine.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes, I sort of thought about that too. Not to mention the possible segregation and offense towards clones or if people clone famous people dead or alive expecting them to have the same success. And when it comes to the therapeutic cloning, the only flaw for that in my eyes is that it could grow to be exclusive only to those with enough money (aka, a freaking lot), due to greedy medical institutions and governments. Not to mention that if say, America is the first to achieve this feat as a normal standard, other countries will no doubt be interested (if you get what I'm implying).

But of course, I'm just trying to be devil's advocate here.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrEpic on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:24 am

Oh my god Count I love you for even bringing this up. So I read a great book for English class this year. A great read called The House of The Scorpion. In it stars Matt, from his youth to his teenage years. He was born a clone of the biggest drug cartel leader in the country of Opium, where El Patron rules. In this story clones are made from fragments of their skin and built and made into fully functional human beings. Until they perform a process on them making them dumb to the brain, forced to follow every order. Matt was born differently however, they wanted him born and raised. All apart of a plot to, spoilers ahead id stop reading now, to kill El Patron. El Patron used these clones bodyparts, specifically their hearts. He would cut them open and steal them for his heart, making him live to 150 and expanding the size of his heart. Matt finds this out later when El Patron tells the boy on his dying bed he only took him in as his son so he could use his more developed heart. Matt escapes the estate, and then a bunch of series of events until the book finishes. 

Okay read now, through the whole book Matt faced all kinds of prejudice for being born and branded on foot a clone. People didn't accept him and called him worse than a mutt. He wasn't allowed to watch his cousin get married in a church because he was considered "unholy" but through the whole thing you realize he is a normal boy, Maria, Matt's love interest is caught in a problem when she realizes she has feelings for what everyone calls a disgusting abomination. All Matt wants to be is to be accepted. Hence I think cloning would be okay, if people want to live through their childhood again by watching there clone I think that would be a-okay. El Patron used this to in watching the kid, he saw himself in him. Almost loved him, but mostly for harmful intentions. I love the idea of cloning and think it would be spectacular to recreate some of our finest leaders.
MrEpic
PACL Champion
PACL Champion

PSN : MrEpic1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 am

I'm agnostic, getting that aside.

I think any step forward in curing diseases and illnesses, fixing what was once unfix-able, is worth venturing towards. However, there's a larger question. I'm just simply referencing a movie to help explain. The Island, showcases a group of individuals who live in an area, and within that area, they "win" a prize, but the prize turns out to be them being put under, so their organs can be used to give to their "real" versions.

So basically, there's absolutely no point in cloning someone, you have a life, you live it. If they can heal a human, without having to kill the life of another, then I am all for it.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top