[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
33% 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Re: Sly Cooper Discussion

Post by Count Mario on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:05 am

You know, I was having a jolly good time with Sly 3 and thought it might actually be as good as Band of Thieves until my first Panda King mission. Sucker Punch, the FPS fights against Clockwerk and Clock-La weren't well thought out (to say the least), and now making this into a recurring mission status is probably the worst thing you could've done to me. Seriously, FPS and Sly Cooper just does not mix outside of Bentley's Binocucom. At all.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Sly 3 is IMO the worst if not for nostalgia. Too short, too much great stuff from 2 ignored, etc. But it's not very much below the others; they're all fairly close in my book.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Okay, I'm just about to dive into the sixth chapter. Thank God that the FPS mission was just a one-time thing and you actually play as Panda King. And to be quite honest, I still prefer this over 1 (1's still a solid stealth platformer, but Sly set its real standards at 2). I honestly don't have any problems with playing as any of the characters, honestly. I can understand why the multiple types of gameplay can tick people off, but let's be honest, the Sly games have had that since the beginning. The only real difference is that they're segregated into being a part of a certain character's feature while there's still plenty of focus on the main trio, and I honestly have no problem with that whatsoever as long as I don't go through more BS FPS shoot-em-ups. That's probably the only alternate gameplay style in Sly that pisses me off immensely, as you can obviously see. In fact, I daresay that so far, I enjoyed this just as much as 2, especially in terms of the dialogue (which I think is the best in the series so far).

But eh, that's just me. Right now, both 2 and 3 are interchangeable for my favorite game in the franchise, and I only hope that Thieves in Time can live up to that.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I used to like 3 more until I realized during my HD playthrough that they took out fucking clue bottles. And treasure. The dialogue is great though. That was a big saving grace at times. Though if you're at chapter 6 you're pretty much done. That's my current problem with 3: Sly 2 took me about 9-10 hours to beat. Maybe another hour to 100%. 3, even with some annoying Master Thief missions, took like 6 or 7 to plow through for Platinum.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:44 pm

the sly games were quite possibly the easiest plats i have. no sorry they ARE the easiest plats i have. they make CiT look nintendohard and inFamous 2 look like Ninja Gaiden.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Count Mario wrote:But eh, that's just me. Right now, both 2 and 3 are interchangeable for my favorite game in the franchise, and I only hope that Thieves in Time can live up to that.
For better and for worse.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:27 pm

lol I understand the Clue Bottles, but I can deal with there only being treasure when you pickpocket. I actually like how they translate to money considering the fact that you can only sell them, anyways. And I pretty much guessed that this was the final chapter (given how I knew Dimitri was the last member you get beforehand and the fact that the chapter is a retitling of, well, the title).

And yes, lpool, they are easy to plat lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 am

So I beat Thieves in Time on Wednesday, thus finally clearing out the whole series for me and allowing me to move on to playing other games I've neglected for too long. 

However, like plenty of people have probably already noted (in fact, I already knew about this plot-twist since Thieves in Time came out), Penelope turning evil was BS. But not because of the fact she turned evil though because God knows that the Sly series needs a decent recurring villain instead of killing off every single main antagonist and making returning villains into being good. In fact, with some actually decent writing and build-up, it could've easily worked much more successfully if you apply the elements of her being a sore loser when trying to kill Sly as the Black Baron, only joining the gang at first for beating her at her own game rather than joining them out of moral value, and Bentley still clinging onto locating Sly post-3 and researching the Cooper Clan's history with the Thevius Raccoonus. But no, we got a half-assed rushed 180 turn with cliche devious intentions and changes to her character that don't line up whatsoever with how she was for the most time in 3. 

However, you want to also know what makes this even worse? Even this could be forgivable if they just added a tiny detail of, say, Ms. Decibel hypnotizing her into helping out Le Paradox. The atrocious character development could be swept under the rug with that logical explanation and we still have the advantage of getting a newfound recurring villain since she would most likely escape from jail before getting a chance to be cured. It would also help give Bentley even more character development of not being able to save her and all that jazz. Honestly, there was just so many ways for Sanzaru to do this plot point better than I'm just hoping that we at least get further insight on why she turned out this way in a probable Sly 5 if it's ever released. But as bad as this was, I'd hate it even more if she was just reverted back to being good and fully forgiven, so they should at least stick to their guns with this.

And as for Le Paradox... he's an okay villain. He's not the best, but he at least the one element the other villains didn't have, which was build up. The only problem was living up to expectations. I mean, disregarding the atrocious idea behind that QTE boss fight, the most I can say is that pretty much everything about him could've been better. I did admittingly like how it was his owner go that lead to his downfall, like Sly pointed out. And hey, at least he wasn't the fourth main antagonist to perish Sam Raimi Spider-Man villain style.

Besides those two things though, the story was completely solid. Well, maybe besides Carmelita being a whore with Tennessee and Galleth, but at least it's reasonable why. Feel free to disagree, but I honestly rank 2, 3, and Thieves in Time as equals for my favorite installment.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm

And Carmelita doesn't have her awesome roundhouse kick.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:59 am

We got to play as her in an interactive belly dance mission, that's all you can ever want from her and more.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Same goes for Murray's dance, too.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:41 pm

I never shook my controller as much as I ever did on that mission.

Still want that roundhouse kick though.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwi on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Big news!
Kiwi
You're too slow!
You're too slow!

PSN : ChaosKiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 pm

That's actually got its own thread already in General Chat lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 pm

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwi on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 am

DP thanks for telling me

Analconga 
Kiwi
You're too slow!
You're too slow!

PSN : ChaosKiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:09 am

It's a Jersey thing, right?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 am

Ahem, settle down here. No name calling/geographic stereotyping. Let's keep it about Sly's games.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:47 pm

OK finally played Sly 4.

Is it just me or does every game like to kick the crap out of Bentley since 2?

2: Paralyzed,
3: Was dating a girl online, who was then not who she said she was (Even if it worked both ways) and then has to wrestle her affections away again. is also kidnapped in the second last level and loses his best friend.
4: Said girl then ruthlessly betrays him, and he doesn't find out for a long time, which he spends hunting for her, only to then overhear her talking shit about him, find out how its her fault the entire plot took place and then he has to fight her. oh then he loses his best friend again. 

I MEAN SERIOUSLY? WHY BENTLEY? WHY? 

It was a fun game, but there were problems. The jobs weren't as well structured. in the past the jobs gave you a sense of progression, that built up to a heist where it all came together. this games missions were a random sequence of events...and thats it. The villains outside the Griz and Penelope i found to be lackluster, decent but not up to par with the normally great villains we got in the past. this was more than made up for by the walking Stereotypes that are the Cooper ancestors. despite being stereotypes, they also have personality quirks i love, Riochi is irritable, Tennessee is a smartass, Bob is surprisingly insightful for a guy who can't speak a civilised language, Sir Galeth is a loveable imbecile and oh my god Saleim was just amazing. 

its basically the worst game in the franchise, but a decent revival. it was still a good game, just didn't compare to the others.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:57 pm

I'd still put it above 3, because it's more like a Sly game. It's definitely flawed in many ways, but it doesn't feel half-assed like 3 did. It feels unfinished, but like Sanzaru tried to work with what they had. Sly 3 was just kind of like "eh, fuck it inFamous is on the way soon let's get rid of most of the Sly staples and replace them with lazy Master Thief Missions and a bunch of unnecessary playable characters."

Sly 4 is cursed by the fact that it's an end-era PS3 game of a PS2 franchise. So it had to sell the fact that it WAS a PS3 game by making bigger maps. The bigger maps were then empty as a result (but somehow less empty than the collectable-less Sly 3 maps).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:10 pm

meh i liked both Sly 3 and 4 around the same, with a preference to 3.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 pm

I felt the same way until I replayed 3 lol. For some reason almost every fond memory I had of 3 was actually just part of 2.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:21 pm

... i have a mission.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star