Batman: Arkham Origins

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Batman: Arkham Origins

Post by BigBox on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 am

Adam Sessler gave it a 4/5, personally with what IGN and what he said. I think a 4 was a bit too high for it rating it a 3, or 3.5 would be more comfortable for me. Most likely a 3.5.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 am

It's not excellent but it's not bad. For an arkham game, sub par, for a game it's pretty good.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah i kind of got an "eh" vibe from this game.  It just looked too similar to the other two
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Got the game today.

When I got to the Deathstroke fight, I posted this on Facebook:

"Loving AO so far.

The only problem so far is the Deathstroke fight. I mean, I know Deathstroke would and should be able to wreck Batman in a 1v1, but for gameplay purposes I think they made him too tough of a boss.

There's not really an indication of when you should hit him. Sometimes when you attack him, you hit him. Other times, he counters you. Sometimes, when you follow up a counter when he attacks, he gets hurt. Others, you flip him behind you. The rest of the time, he counters you. Occasionally, you can attack him after you flip him behind you. Or he'll dodge. Or he'll counter. Sometimes you can counter his counters, other times you can't. Sometimes when you counter a counter he'll counter the counter that countered his counter. Sometimes you can counter that counter, sometimes you can't. Heck, sometimes when you counter that counter that countered the counter you countered the counter with, you can either counter or he'll counter that attempt to counter.

And there is no real clue to when any of this is going to happen. No verbal cue, no weird movement. Sometimes time will slow to say you can counter, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you hit him and when you don't follow it up, he says "you missed an opportunity." In the last part of the fight, after his weapon change, he can initiate a counter without you actually attacking, and you can't do anything to counter it.

I mean, as prone as I am to gaming rage, I'm not even mad. Just confused as all hell." 
So yeah, there was that. But other than that, I'm loving this game. (Sorry for not even talking whatever conversation you guys were having, if you were having one; I'm trying to avoid spoilers.)
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 pm

I would argue that Batman would put up a decent fight against Deathstroke in a 1v1 (provided that this isn't Origins beginner Bruce), but fair enough lol. That boss fight sounds confusing as hell, though.

Anyways, I haven't gotten the game yet (and probably won't until Christmas because there are a bunch of other games I need to get before then), but even so, I'm just praying that Joker's not the big bad in Origins. I mean, for Christ's sake, I know that Joker's considered (and rightfully so) to be one of the best villains of all time, but he already has two whole Arkham games dedicated to his antics. And from what I hear, he also does some pretty big stuff in Origins too. I don't even care if Black mask gets upstaged by the end, but just let another villain get in the limelight.

Also, I still don't understand why Joker is even IN Blackgate. He's a psychopath, not an actual sane criminal (although I would personally argue that the Joker is actually much more sane than he appears), so unless Arkham wasn't built yet, why the hell was he sent there? Blackgate had the perfect opportunity to focus on other villains who weren't Batman's traditional psychos from his rogue's gallery, but of course, WB has to shove Joker into whatever's available.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, I completely have the same feels towards Joker. Enough if enough.

But Deathstroke's whipped Batman every time they've fought (pre-New52, at least; haven't followed since), with the exception being the one time Deathstroke let him win, or when Batman had assistance.

Then again, Nightwing and Green Arrow have beaten him / gone toe-to-toe with him before, but regardless, 9 times out of 10 I'd give it to Slade. People hype up Batman WAY too high.

Which is kinda' how this feels, imo. I haven't got too much farther than Deathstroke, but Batman seems to be having zero trouble with anything, and the fight was just... underwhelming. I mean, the fight itself was a pain in the ass, but the end of it was just... bleh.

Tip for the fight:

use your quickfire batclaw A LOT. It makes attacking a ton safer.
And based on trailers and stuff I know Bane is gonna' kick the crap out him later. That really, really doesn't sit right with me, and I know it's just a game and you're supposed to suspend your disbelief, but frankly I just can't handle stories that are just too unbelievable. I mean, I can totally dig godly forces like Lucifer Morningstar, but if someone like say, Huntress, managed to beat him in a fight, I would definitely not be okay with that. You know what I mean?

That's really my only complaint with the game so far. Well, that, and that it feels pretty rushed.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:42 pm

yeah Batman is overhyped. without prep he is going to lose to Deathstroke i'd say 7/10 times roughly. with prep its more even. because Deathstroke more than likely has prep too. i mean this is a guy who like to torment the Teen Titans for fun (About the only thing his TT show counterpart shares with Deathstroke) with a phenomenal healing factor and combat abilities equal to or greater than Batman. Dick and Ollie beat him because it was personal. Plus their styles are trickier. Dick is acrobatic, a bitch to Deathstrokes style, and Ollie can play sfe from far away. Batmans a brawler which plays into Deathstrokes hands. 

i heard from alot of places the Deathstroke fight was a high point, but admittedly having to shut of my comic brain would ruin it for me (Kinda why i'm meh on Agents of Shield which i just watched. BUt Arrows ok. doesn't butcher as bad.) but i wanna play this fight.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Oh, of course Bats is overhyped. ANd I didn't mean to disrespect Deathstroke either (I mean, this is the guy who has the balls to take on the Teen Titans and JL teams at the same time if there aren't any super-beings involved). I just don't feel like this type of fight should be labeled as a curbstomp. Like lpool said, I'd give it to DS no more than 7-8/10 times without prep. By the time of Origins though, Deathstroke should hand Batman his ass, no question.

And Bane could actually whoop Batman without prep if he wasn't stupid enough to keep using those dumb tubes that are right out in the open. If Bane uses a more clever option in Origins, I can accept him kicking Bats' ass the first one or two times they meet. Besides, Bruce is early in his career, so he has to show inexperience and weakness at SOME point.

Anyways, I'm just hoping that Shiva's boss is at least decent. Her, along with Deathstroke and maybe Bane if it's unique, are the only bosses I have high expectations for.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 am

Bane at one point outgrew his reliance on Venom and retained the strength. He's Batman's equal in terms of being a tactician, although most mediums never show it. Bane I think is really the closest to Batman regarding his Rogues Gallery, but Joker is the archnemesis simply because he's more dangerous via his mental instability. I mean, Ra's did take Bane as a substitute for Bruce.

Also, Count, you know that new show "Trust Me, I'm a Gameshow Host? No? Well, whatever. The gag is that there's two hosts, and one is telling the truth and the other is lying. However, both hosts are saying things that are either so outlandish that it's hard to decide what's more believable, or so believable it's hard to tell which is fake. I haven't watched the show, but I'm assuming it's awful due to Michael Ian Black.

Anyway, back on topic, try to figure out which true regarding the Electrocutioner bossfight:
Fight Spoilers, Obviously:
The Electrocutioner bossfight will be insanely hard and you will need to keep your distance from him while avoiding ridiculously strong electric attacks, or you'll say "loliamBatman" and one-shot him.

Also, just got to the introduction of Joker. I mean, I haven't seen him face to face yet, but I am super disappoint.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:01 am

Well, I wouldn't really say MOST mediums. Just Batman: The Animated series (my God, that show is overrated. I'm sorry, but I had to say it. If anything, Batman Beyond's my favorite Batman cartoon), The Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman: Arkham Asylum (I wouldn't say City because he did sort of deceive Batman into destroying the Titan containers), Justice League: Doom... Yeah, I see your point. XD

And personally, I see Ra's as being the closest to Batman, but that's just me. Of course, Joker is definitely the face of both Batman and comic book villains in general.

Anyways, I just saw the Deathstroke segment. The boss fight was awesome (although factually biased), but please... please tell me that's not all we see of Deathstroke. I didn't mind Electrocutioner because that was actually entertaining and he's going to come back later, but seriously. The way they handled Deathstroke was... disappointing. In almost every way outside of his actual boss fight, and that's only if it isn't as confusing as you say, Pirate.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:52 am

If it makes you feel better, Count, Deathstroke is leading a Suicide Squad game possibly made by Rocksteady for PS4/Bone despite never being in that group before.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:12 am

...........................Proper playable Deathstroke............Gimmie. 

but again. comic brain hurts.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Yeah, it was really dumb you couldn't freeroam as Deathstroke, imo.

I mean, they already gave him a grappler for the bossfight / for the sake of giving Bats an upgrade, so there was really no excuse for it. They wouldn't have even needed to give him a small story like Catwoman had (because frankly I stopped playing for periods of time over my six or seven playthroughs because I hated playing them and I couldn't skip them).

He should've just been open to explore. Then again, I haven't completed the story, so maybe he is, idk. Probably not.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Actually, DP, I'm more inclined to say that it'll just lead to more DLC Deathstroke missions. I don't see Rocksteady really going for that, especially since we know Kevin Conroy is already involved with the supposed Arkham 4.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Okay, so, I just saw the Joker reveal (and I'll be honest, I'm not going to put spoiler tags or anything unless I'm about to say something REALLY spoilerish), and... it was, decent. I mean, I got over my disappointment bout another Joker game just because I realized how this is a prequel and the last time we'll probably see Joker in years, but it still could've been done better. Watching the Lacey Towers reenactment scene was awesome, but they could've added a bit more evidence in there to actually hint that the Joker might've been involved. I mean, before that scene, Bats only mentions Joker like, what, ONCE about two hours earlier in the game with barely any insight on how he could be involved, and then all of a sudden Bruce is just like "Joker kidnapped Black Mask" out of freaking nowhere. As for the confrontation in the bank, it was nice scene for a first meeting. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was enjoyable to see Bats realize the Joker's potential for the first time. Overall, I'm just glad that they didn't play it up as some big shocking revelation that has your jaw dropping through the floor.

...I'm still not over Joker being Blackgate, but from what I hear, he isn't the main antagonist in that game (and thank God for that). It actually seems to be:

Spoiler:
Catwoman.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 am

Okay, I just finished watching an entire walkthrough of the game. Besides Deathstroke being a total pushover and Electricutioner being a literal running gag throughout the story, I thought it was well executed and pretty damn enjoyable. I'd rank Origins to be between Asylum and City in quality, although I'm sure that  everybody expected that outcome. However, I just want to talk about the few issues I had in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

For one, this is really just a nitpick, but how the hell did Bane deduce Bruce's secret identity out of nowhere? I mean, literally, it just got brought into the plot out f nowhere. Don't get me wrong, it did an excellent job at pushing the stakes and intensity (even though it was fully obvious how Bane would lose his memory by taking the TN1 after you learned about its side-effects), but there's literally no build up or reasonable explanation for it. Bane just... knows. If they just added some sort of scene or moment where Bruce might accidentally give away some sort of clue about his identity to Bane during their fight due to not being fully experienced or Bane showing some hinting of knowing who he was and how, I would've bought it. But no, he just... knows. Granted, it still worked out well, so I can forgive that part.

Moving on, like I said, Deathstroke definitely should've had a bigger role in the story and at least one more confrontation against Batman after he SHOULD'VE gotten his ass whooped by DS, but we all know that already. As for Electricutioner, I didn't mind the one-punch thing because it was funny as hell and he was going to come back, but... He's literally in the story so Batman could get the Shock Gloves. So I'm sorry to say that, it's a bit disappointing that out of all the potential assassins we could've had, we get both this obscure character and this sort of treatment. Just one little boss battle would've been nice, but no, he gets KO'd by one punch, shot out of a building by Joker, and Batman proceeds to pillage his corpse. ...lol. But at least the Shock Gloves (as well as one line the Electricutioner says) prove to be story and gameplay effective. As for the other assassins I haven't mentioned, they all get the job done (although Firefly's boss fight was, for Christ's sake, that was batshit crazy. And in an awesome way). However, I was worried that they'd all sadly be treated as just Mega Man bosses...

...Until freaking Bane comes along. Seriously, besides the chance of having more reasoning for learning Bruce's identity, I LOVED how he was portrayed. Actually being able to kick Batman's ass in the first fight, blowing up the Batcave, nearly killing Alfred, taunting Bruce, the final boss (although I could've done without having the third giant bruiser boss in a row. Honestly, Deathstroke should've been the final boss, personally. It would've been the perfect chance for Batman to use all of the prep and experience he's gathered to take on the world's most deadly assassin, who's essentially the "anti-Batman"), etc. But that leads into my last remaining problem.

WHY THE HELL DID JOKER HAVE TO START THE RIOT AT BLACKGATE AND GET BANE TO TEAM UP WITH HIM?! Not only was that completely rushed out of nowhere, but it compromises Bane actually being the badass antagonist that we needed in order to make this installment unique. But no, WB just HAD to shove Joker in there. Let me be honest, after I got over the disappointment of Joker upstaging Black Mask and saw how he was handled during the Penthouse/Blackgate hallucination sequence, I LOVED it. It was a perfect way to introduce his origin, have a memorable impact on the player, still play a major role in the story that would do justice to his feats without having to be the final main antagonist again, instilled the growth of Harley falling in love with him, and best of all, IT WAS PRACTICALLY SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING FOR PEOPLE TO GO BUY BLACKGATE IN ORDER TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM NEXT. Literally, after that hallucination sequence, ending it right there for the Joker's influence would've been absolutely perfect and convenient! But no... he has to be shoved into staging a last-minute riot at Arkham and having bane team up with him for no reason. Granted, the final Blackgate sequence was fucking awesome when I don't take into account the rest of the story (or Arkham series, for that matter), but it just shoehorned him in way too much and stole the spotlight that I felt Bane personally earned. It's such a shame how Origins left me with a satisfying, but bitter aftertaste with how the story was shaping up to be.

Finally, I just have to say it. Why'd it all end in a church? hurr 

Overall, I still recommend playing Origins, but don't have your expectations kept too high. For a Batman game, it definitely had some lost potential, but it's still a pretty damn good game regardless.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:17 pm

I seriously lol'd when batman first goes up against the executioner electrocutioner * xD I was not expecting that. 

Have you guys seen any of the 1 vs 100 challenge videos on youtube yet? O.O i've seen a few people get up into the combo meter of 300.. I will never be that good. never ever...
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm just watching the multiplayer vids. I'm seriously hoping that WB will update this with more villainous teams, like Deathstroke, Penguin, Black Mask, Scarecrow, or Mister Freeze teams. Seriously, I don't see any excuse as to why Deathstroke can't.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 am

Because he'll be the big reveal for the next game's multiplayer!

Duh.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 am

...I sincerely hope that's a joke post.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:08 am

He's in the game to advertise the sequel. And if you wanna argue the moneygrubbingness that would take, I raise you an Injustice.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 am

I'd argue that the after-credits scene with Deathstroke was advertising Blackgate than an actual Suicide Squad game. Not that I mean to argue on DC/WB's undeniable greed, but still. 

EDIT: A Suicide Squad game isn't impossible though, especially since the team looks to get publicity in season 2 of Arrow. I'll withhold full judgement until I know about Blackgate's full story. Still, that in no way means Deathstroke can't be in the multiplayer (hell, I think that'd be doing them a favor, advertising-wise).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 am

With his current popularity, it could be a standalone Deathstroke game in the Arkhamverse to steal Deadpools thunder. With freeflow and a superhero assassin type gameplay it would be interesting.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:13 pm

I still want a Green Arrow game above any other street-level DC character.

Anyway, last night I got post-Bane fight and now I am completely okay with the Joker plottwist. Montreal's actually pulled off Joker better than Rocksteady, imo, even without Luke Skywalker. Also, the Bane fight was freaking fantastic.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:26 pm

i just thought.......this free flow system could work with the entire League........except Superman, well i thought of a way but its not great.

Taking the current base league

Batman works as is.
Wonder Woman has wide slashes and can group up her enemies
Flash can go super fast through his combos getting a freeflow bonus faster. 
Aquaman has nice mix of Range and Wide arcs.
Cyborg is Zone Heavy but can close with his football moves and stop lazer fire to fight with his fists.
Green Lantern is a long range trapper, holding enemies in place.
Superman can take multiple hits before having his combo broken, beats down enemies faster and doesn't Give a shit about specialties. 

in a well paced campaign this could work as a JLA game or as individual games (Except Superman.)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top