Shovel Knight

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Shovel Knight

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Smash Flash even started with pre-made spritesheets for a lot of characters. A lot of their updating is redoing or remodeling characters.

Not only is simply making a whole set of animations for every character time consuming, but there's also the constraints for using pixels on smaller models-- and making it look good-- that add to the difficulty of the project. 

At this point, though, this conversation is nothing but silly.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:34 pm

You know nobody should be debating which game is harder or more expensive to make. AAA modeling is harder than spriting. fact. does that mean sprites aren't pretty? nope. Does it mean anybody can be a spriter? haha nope. does it automatically make a pixel art game a rip off if it costs less than free? course not. 

i think a good example of the whole AAA vs Indie thing would be a Telltale vs Quantic Dream. both made their names with a phenomenal point and click adventure game. So who's had more success beyond that? well Telltale have the sequel to TWD, which is phenomenal, the even better The Wolf Among Us, with a follow up in the pipe line, Tales from the Boarderlands in the pipeline, and a Game of Fucking Thrones (i think thats an accurate title, the series is just backstabbing and sex. lots of sex.) game in the pipeline. 

Quantic made the awful Beyond Two souls and a really pretty, useless face.

and if i'm correct, you could own all of telltales past and future collection for the same price as Quantics. 

but thats besides the point.

Drawing battlelines over AAA and indie games is stupid. theres good and bad in each pile. a game is not automatically good if AAA (Hello DmC and Beyond and...i can go on) and bad if Indie. (Super Meatboy, Minecraft and yes this Shovelknight. Skullgirls too in a way.) 

a good AAA game will often beat a good indie game of the same quality, but the indie is often better value for money. Indies are typically dirt cheap, short with tons of replayability, AAAs are expensive, longish and often either virtually no replayability or multiplayer. 

so basically what im getting at is this discussion over which is better or harder is pointless. Indies are made on a tighter budget with less time, in a much harsher market with often no marketing, AAAs have a long cycle and a larger budget used on better but harder to use tools, with the marketing but people more critical and more cautious on where to spend their money. the scenarios are too different to compare.

indies are in right now cause we are starting a new gen with no good AAA games. we will get our bioshocks and Uncharted 2s soon enough. 

on that note on topic...i want this game. badly.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Street Fighter 3rd Strike is one of my favorite games aesthetically.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 pm

It was never about which is better. It's about the assumption that one guy making Batman's cape for three years is a harder task than one guy making Tim from Braid in three years. There's no comparison between the two, because they're both tedious in entirely different ways; the difference is the amount of toys you have to work with. But let's return to the topic at hand.

Dragon, to answer your question, I love how fair the game is. Rarely (really only at the final level) did I feel the game was being cheap, and even then not really. Every death was my fault.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:25 pm

guys just ignore him this is a shovel knight topic isnt it lets talk about shovel knight whats your favorite music track mines  
(just trying to get us back on topic)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:21 am

I really like Treasure Knight's stage theme. It feels so right.

Also NG+ is fucking hard. I love it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:41 am

I'm not one to make never-gonna-happen wishes, but I really want Shovel Knight in Smash. He's built to be super fun and versatile, just like MM, but he's unique enough to not be a MM clone.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top