Ratchet & Clank Discussion

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ratchet & Clank Discussion

Post by DP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:20 am

I don't believe we actually ever made a general R&C thread. I'll check and see, but I think this was one of the franchises we never touched on after the whole "(Blank) Discussion" topics to save space.

So yeah, R&C. Discuss.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ratchet & Clank Discussion

Post by Vytrova on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:24 am

I never played them... Heard they were good but was all like "HA whatever, I gots me some Jak and Daxter"
Vytrova
I Don't Fear Death
I Don't Fear Death

PSN : Vytrova

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 am

I was sort of the opposite. I never got into J&D because I hated Jak's character in 2 among other, more fair reasons. I liked the 1/3 I played of Jak 3, though, and I know I'd love the series if not for Naughty Dog trying to make it too serious at one point (and even regardless of that fact). I just haven't had the money to get the Collection yet. (To be fair, I haven't gotten any of the Collections yet, and the first I will get is Team Ico, because I absolutely must play those games.)
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Vytrova on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:30 am

One game series I wish I played was Sly's series.
Vytrova
I Don't Fear Death
I Don't Fear Death

PSN : Vytrova

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:32 am

Speaking of Ratchet & Clank... I still haven't gotten past the first game since I made that thread about how I bought the game. Loved the gameplay (And with time, I think I may even prefer it over J&D), but I just need to stop being lazy. Especially when people keep hyping up the second and third installments and possibly being the best in the series. XD

So, DP, do you think a new "major" R&C installment (Say, on par with an installment of the past two trilogies) will get announced?

And I'm in the same boat with you on Sly, Vytrova. I mean, over the last summer, I tried to look for the collection, but every GameStop was sold out on it.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:38 am

I friggin' love Sly. I didn't get 4 because I'm still slightly suspicious of how Sanzaru changed and removed a lot of the trademark moves (no Thunder Flop? Really?). Also how they retconned in a new ancestor instead of using Sly's father. I'm borrowing it off of a friend next week though, so I'll give my opinion on that then.

Anyway, onto the real topic rather than the Golden Triangle as a whole:
...Well, I don't have anything specific I'd like to discuss, actually. I could go on for days on a particular subject, but I don't know where to start! lol

Pre-post Edit: Well, Count, I'd say that they'll probably announce one for the PS4's launch, but I'm honestly not sure. Insomniac only made FFA as fanservice, but I'm not sure if they had a game in the works prior to that and post-A4O. I'd assume they did, which explains why FFA was made to be small (sort of like how they did QfB during CiT's development). There's no way Insomniac is done with the franchise IMO, because they did a friggin' game JUST to please fans. Sony to my knowledge didn't even tell them to. IG's NC studio has so far been known only to touch the R&C franchise, and I doubt they'd go and do another game or anything, either, at this point. Burbank's working on Fuse and Outernauts (great game, just happened to lose me quickly because it was too emphasized on social game tendencies), and they've got no plans to go back to R&C at this point.

If they DO have a PS4 launch title, it'll help the series immensely. It's got a good fanbase, but it's not really where it once was sales-wise. If they got a launch title, they could end up getting that ~300% sales boost a la the Resistance franchise.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 am

DP wrote:I friggin' love Sly. I didn't get 4 because I'm still slightly suspicious of how Sanzaru changed and removed a lot of the trademark moves (no Thunder Flop? Really?). Also how they retconned in a new ancestor instead of using Sly's father. I'm borrowing it off of a friend next week though, so I'll give my opinion on that then.

really DP murray has that move still i don't know where you got that idea from and also do you know what would happen if he went back and met his father alot of plot holes could of come out of it i was wise choice not to bring him up at all and while yes i was dissapointed with "Bob" at the start the is one scene that made me like him trust me if you like old sly games get it

also count just get them of the PSN store they didn't make many copies of it and it's rare to find one nowadays

any way i would like to see a PS4 R&C i know Insomniac wants to own there IPs but they have stated that they would like to come back to make anoher R&C game and god hope they will ACiT for me is up there UYA
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:00 am

Beat all the Ratchets. LOVED them. One of my favorite platformers of all time (along with Mario and Banjo-Kazooie)

Never beat ANY of the Jaks all the way thru (which is why I decided to go ahead and get the HD collection :3 )

Only beat Sly one. Skipped two, got halfway in 3.

I plan to get the next two HD collections as well... once they're below 20$. $30 my ass. Lol.

Back on topic though, every game Ratchet has been in has been well worth the money for me. I wish they did more easter eggs and secrets like two's museum with gameplay elements (like showing you the water effects. I thought that was cool as hell).

For the next Ratchet & Clank, we need a more open world adventure. Same platforming elements, mixed with Mass Effect 1's planet exploration. Not like in A Crack In Time. I liked what they did there, but with the PS4 there shouldn't be an excuse to not at least TRY something more open world. Focus more on gameplay I say. I'd rather it look like a PS3 game with a crap ton more options than look as good as Uncharted but you only have one hallway to go down -_-
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Wait, toonz, you're right. It wasn't the flop (I now remember a joke that my friend and I made about it while I tried out the characters' moves at his house). It was one of his best moves from the old games, though. Might've been the uppercut. I know they butchered Bentley, though. He feels nothing like he used to in Sly 2/3.

Anyway, onto R&C, I just want to see them return to the more serious story arcs that the Future saga brought. That was a change that I absolutely loved. The character development in the Future saga is just excellent; even when I knew there was (and had already played) a sequel after CiT, I still got so much overwhelming nostalgia at the latter's ending - though not to the point of tears, just a really goofy, melancholy smile.

And I personally have no problem whatsoever with reusing weapons, for the record. I see no reason for them to continue to make different clones of the Lancer when the Combustor (or even the Constructo Pistol) does that just fine while giving IG more time to actually work on important things.

One mechanic I sort of want to see them go back to was the gravity cube they cut early into CiT. Essentially, you could make yourself incredibly heavy or light at any time, which made for absolutely fantastic platforming possibilities.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 pm

you mean quantum conundrum.......i like. i didn't explore the moon too much.

if it isn't obvious i have 100% all of the main 6. mot so much A41 or Q-Force or even gladiator.

anyway theres a reason i cite this as my favorite series of all time constantly.

honestly if i got A story like the future games with the classic game play and for space combat R&C 2 style control with CiT style exploration i would flip tables. all the tables
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm

I've also 100%'d all of the games. Well, technically that's not true:
*I never actually 100%'d GC because of a single Platinum Bolt. I know where it is, and have gotten it on a file specifically to say that I have by extension done it, but once I get the HD Collection I plan on doing that. I've gotten everything else in that game several times over, to be fair, so I think I can fairly make that claim.
*I never 100%'d Deadlocked, either, but I did get 99.9% done. There were a few missions and miscellaneous things left that I had to do to get the final Exterminator card, but I fucked myself over and overwrote the file without a backup. I'll eventually 100% that one, too, though I've gotten to 80+% a few times over here as well.
*I was going to 100% A4O before I traded it in, but I couldn't bring myself to play the game several times with one character, let alone four. When 100%ing a game is as tedious as that, I just can't. I did Platinum it, though.
*And FFA, I haven't played nearly enough to 100% it. I haven't even gotten the Platinum, yet, because I just keep forgetting to play it when I'm in the mood to.

I also never technically 100%'d either PSP game (Size Matters because I really didn't like it that much, though I did get every Gold Bolt and I believe all of the Armor - though I might be mistaken on that - in the two days I had it on rental. I was about 30,000 bolts away from getting the RYNO, which I think was the last thing I had to do, but I had to return it and I never cared to re-rent it just for that one thing. And Secret Agent Clank - my guilty pleasure of the series - I didn't 100% because its Challenge Mode is just not fair. Though I did everything to do in that game, too, barring fighting Klunk again (because fuck that, I'm not spending 20 minutes to get 1/4 of his health down) and getting those infrared codes (which I tried doing, but that was tedious as well and had no real necessity to do it when it comes to actually 100%ing the rest of the game; also because I think my copy was glitched to not have them, because I looked in the exact spot that I was told it was at, according to a walkthrough, and it wasn't there).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 pm

sounds like you have rotten luck dp.........why does all 4 one suck. it would be an excellent lego game and thats not bad. but its a ratchet game.......why is it a thing. when we wanted multiplayer THATS NOT WHAT WE MEANT!

The rest of the games i find to be fine. i love watching the slight changes to the games to make it more fluid like strafing in GC, R1 to shoot in UYA (Up until recently i didn't use it but still) and the series really peaked with Future. it can recover easily enough and for crying out loud it better.

one thing i really want them to ditch is the A41/Q-Force art style. its not charming or vibrant its plain insulting to a graphically superior predecessor actually 3. it just looks horrible. it ditches the pixaresque art that made futures visually appealing. the sound track was fine and the humor was still there but it just lost its impact with the style and crummy story. idk its just the Future trilogy heightened my already high expectations of the dynamic duo and......they attempted to make me drop em again. didn't work but still
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 pm

I used to hate the A4O art style, but to be fair, it is technically MORE accurate to the original designs and to the CiT artstyle than even CiT is. Remember that the CiT concept art went slightly more cartoony than ToD had done. This is reverberated in the GrummelNet gun advertisements and such. A4O was a logical step forward, although I hated the art style in A4O itself. I only started to like it once I saw it in FFA and in the classic camera style. The worlds are pretty vibrant to me (let's be fair, the scenic locations in A4O were some of the best in the series, if only due to the camera angle allowing pans of locales), but I'd definitely prefer CiT's without a doubt; CiT is perhaps the most beautiful game I have ever played (it just so happens to be one of the first I played in HD at my house, which helps tremendously, but still).

As for my luck, it's no big deal to me anymore. I've proven my fandom of the series to myself, so a few asterisks in my claim that I've 100%'d all of the main series games is fine to me. The same thing goes for GTA: SA (never got above 85ish%, though technically you can 110% that game) and Bully (one single rubber band away from 100%), for example, but I know that I could easily do so.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 pm

My San Andreas copy was glitched so I could never technically finish it. (There was a character who was jumping off a roof. He jumped off during the cutscene EVERY. FREAKING. TIME. Then it would tell me I failed. So, I gave up 100% it :/ )

Back to R&C, I loved the originals, Deadlocked, and Size Matters. With the PS3 generation, I unfortunately skipped out on all of them (Other than A Crack In Time, which was stolen so I could never finish it. Need to rebuy it and Tools Of Destruction at some point). All 4 One I didn't like. Didn't like the art style, the gameplay, nothin' about it. I didn't really like Full Frontal Assault's art style either, but I do like the gameplay. If it ever gets an official release date for Vita I'll get it.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:42 am

Time to dig up the good o'l Lombax discussion! So I decided to kind of dig more into the series and wow, I really want to go back and finish the collection now since I've delayed beating the first installment long enough. I mean, I really am starting to truly love and appreciate this series despite my obvious earlier interest and want to become as much of a die-hard geek of the series like a certain couple of people here on the forum. Wink However, my malfunctioning PS3 cord is interfering with that problem...

But besides that, I watched all of the cutscenes in All 4 One and wow, it's impressive to see Dr. Nefarious have such character development, although I think the process in itself could've been done more realistically, even for such a goofy character in a wacky series like this instead of just being forces to tag along with the protagonists and suddenly getting open towards acting beneficially despite everything he's done on a galactic scale. I'm not saying it was bad though and I'm content with how the progression turned out and I can really believe that he can act good now in future titles. Or to be specific, act above neutrality and be about close to an anti-hero in terms of actions. Of course, that can still obviously change either way when we see his next appearance. And before I go:

Nefarious glitching up and broadcasting a radio feed of Lance and Janice needs to be an intro and/or taunt for him if he gets into All-Stars. Nuff said. Hey
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:25 pm

efarious should stay a bad guy but damm the dialogue will be better now.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Eh, I'd like to see Nefarious kind of go the route of Ventress in The Clone Wars and kind of be experimented on for varied roles and struggles to try and find his place and make him more diverse. That's the type of character I honestly see him as now. I definitely don't want him to go permanently good from now on, but I like the apparent change of pace for the time being.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 pm

nope count he must be about galactic domination. he can have repect for r&c now (Not so much qwark. please no. not even r&c have respect for him) but he still has to be evil to the core.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Eh, let's just agree to disagree. All I'm saying is that I'm open to whatever Insomniac puts him towards at this point as long as he goes back to reference his first iconic role as a villain in some way instead of just ignoring the past. Besides, it helps widen the rogues gallery for Ratchet when the main antagonist isn't so frequent and obvious as say, almost like Bowser and Eggman (I say almost because unlike those two, he doesn't appear in every single installment. Perhaps a better comparison would be Ganon in that perspective.).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Also, (I know I'm double-posting but I think this is worth it) but Alister's Groovitron dance inspired to learn how to moonwalk. ...No joke, I watched a three-step video last night and after practicing and repeated all night long and this morning, I feel like a freaking boss whenever I dance these themes while wearing headphones:

I have to say, it was fucking worth it. Hey
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm

nice job count.........how many have you played now.........still guessing none....
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:30 pm

HEY. I've played over half-way through R&C 1 and I played Tools of Destruction for just a couple of minutes in the beginning of Metropolis. And I's be playing more if I could have the chance to get a new PS3 controller cord that actually works. SO DON'T JUDGE ME. pissed
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:00 pm

"Judges count"
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jechtsphere on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 am

Worst part of the first 3 are the hacking tools I was always hoping they would go away ugh lol
Jechtsphere
Staff
Staff

PSN : Jechtsphere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:49 am

Meh they were fine. Twos was the hardest 3s was the longest...ones started it all. tools had one too it was real easy.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top