Skullgirls

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Skullgirls

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 am

The thing that I found confusing was the weird mechanics of moving the analog stick in certain directions.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 am

it's movement is like a lot of old 2D fighters and what directions are you talking about all the move normal movments in pretty much like any fight with it's quarter circle motions, dragon punches and charge moves?
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:56 am

I'm not exactly sure, but I wouldn't say it's like old 2D fighters because it lacks a real blocking mechanic. Injustice also has an awful blocking mechanic.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:59 am

"blocking mechanic" it's hold back to block and you can push block by pushing two punch or kick buttons at once it's like how most games deal with blocking?
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:02 am

That doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, why isn't there just a "block" button? Mortal Kombat 9 has it, why don't the rest of these new fighting games have it? Excluding All-Stars of course.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:18 am

okay block button. MK9 had it cause it wouldn't be MK with out it and all stars had cause you can't really do back to block in a smash style game as to why this game doesn't have on? It's because it was trying to be like fighting games of old like marvel 2 eg and it didn't have a block button and there is no room for a block button with the button lay out they had. in short other games used it so they used it
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:33 am

Interesting, I never played a fighting game without a proper "block mechanic." So, it's really weird to me and I get what you're saying. But, I'm sure the concept of that blocking mechanic died out for a reason. The only real value to it is the nostalgia value which is outweighed by what's more conventional to the overall gameplay. With the ability just to push "block" without doing anything unnecessary. The "blocking system" this game and Injustice uses has its way of killing your flow. While in Mortal Kombat 9. You got your conventional Low Punch, High Punch, Low Kick, High Kick, Block. I do understand what you're saying and the blocking system has its nostalgia value. But, developers stopped using it for a reason and I'm not exactly sure why devs today are digging up old "blocking mechanics" when devs that used to use them stopped using them because of how unconventional they were. That's just my opinion, people my think differently but it still doesn't make sense to me.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 am

The "Walk back to block" mechanic just takes some getting used to. Since most fighting games nowadays are going with it instead of a button, it would be wise to master the block as it stands.

Devs are probably doing it so there's open buttons for other things... That, or they just like the way it feels. If it died out, it's a zombie now, cause every 2D fighting game seems to be using it now...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:39 am

Dead mechanic? it's not dead it's in pretty much most fighting games now adays and i see no problem with it and it opens up things you couldn't do with a block button namely cross ups, also you don't know what push blocking is do you

Last edited by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 am

If that's the case, I would rather just make my own fighting game and play that and stick to Mortal Kombat 9 to be honest. :/
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:45 am

welcome to the FGC kid i hope you enjoy your stay
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:47 am

While I'm not big on fighting games, or that good at them either. I know what goes into a balanced fighting game and a conventional "blocking mechanic" is 50% of a balanced fighting game.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:50 am

Every character blocks the same way. BAM! Balanced. If not, Just lame it out like it's X Tekken.

Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 am

the back to block thing is not going away like pyro said it's here to stay and is not changing and most peple don't change there opinion on if it has this style of blocking they usually talk about blocking if it doesn't have this style of block AKA the normal way
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:00 am

I'm not exactly sure what you said, and also on the idea of me making my own fighter. While were talking, I thought of a basic outline for a fighting game that's hardcore and casual at the same time. Message me if you want to know more about my idea.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Fri May 10, 2013 1:02 am

people gone from the first round

Ms. Victoria
Leduc
Adam
Hubrecht
Andy
Hive
Ottomo
Samson
Yu-Wan
Regina
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 am

Wait anaconda....you didn't know about back to block? Really? Its a fighting game standard. Even tekken has it. Off the to of my head only brawlers, mk and doa don't have it and have block button instead. Back to block allows cross ups, frees up buttons, works on arcade sticks better and can blend seamlessly into motions to allow easy spacing. Its difficult to get used too, (i never can just like I can never do a shoryuken.....yeah I know I suck) but its very healthy for a competitive fighting game. Also nitpick no block button =/= no block mechanic.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 pm

It's inconsistent.

Block Button > Inconsistency(or whatever you wanna call it.)
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 pm

no it how games are, it takes more time to get used to but prob ends up being the better one
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

It's just a tradition. You're free to dislike tradition but you gotta understand older games didn't have enough buttons to accommodate a block button or felt that holding back to block opened up more options for mix-ups and mindgames/footsies. A block button usually removes that ability and mix-ups only work for throws however, it's easier to use, and it allows more movement. So unless you can create something that can compliment the block button (Ala MK9, VF, SC, SSB, PSAS) rather than just add a block button to SF it'll be fine.

It just really depends whether you're either used to using a block button or holding back to block. Just holding back to block is more for Arcade Sticks while block buttons accommodate standard controllers. So yeah, whatever floats your boat.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 am

Mortal Kombat has had a block button since the original, obviously buttons weren't a issue if MK did it just fine. This awful blocking system constantly breaks combos and usually doesn't work half of the time. Its inconsistency is unreliable compared to the block button.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sat May 11, 2013 2:32 am

MK had it to try and be different, to try and make it not a ST2 clone also i still don't get where your going with this we are stilling talking about on and off stuff here. Either your not holding back or you are holding back and either your not holding a button or your are holding a button you must be new to this if your making such a big deal over this
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat May 11, 2013 2:37 am

I'm making a big deal out of it because fighting that choose to go this route will be terrible. I need a block that will work when I want it to, I don't wanna make backwards progress if I'm trying to to make forward progress with a combo. I consider Mortal Kombat the King of fighting games, and by all means it is.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sat May 11, 2013 2:38 am

why would you need to block in the middle of a combo?
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat May 11, 2013 2:44 am

I don't play characters with loop combos. My main is MK in Scorpion, although I do lock to play Sub-Zero too.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top