Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is your favorite Sonic game in the main series?

8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
17% 17% 
[ 2 ]
17% 17% 
[ 2 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
25% 25% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 12

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey blaze silver shadow and metal work.....half of them are hedgehogs arent they...
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

I always thought of it like this: Imagine if Mario began relying on all of the side characters in the main game. It'd feel weird. If they were just distractions, it'd be fine, though. Now given, Sonic in many ways needs his team to help lengthen the game, but outside of two or three characters it's mostly unnecessary to add in mandatory side levels.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 pm

I guess.

Hey count what's so funny? They have awesome powers and so much potential. Development for them just sucks
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Actually, having multiple characters worked pretty well in Super Mario Bros. 2 as that had four characters and was used in a way that was akin to Sonic 3. Not to mention how the Galaxy games have you playing as Luigi and Yoshi besides Mario also. I can agree that with the whole cast it'd get hectic though. I don't mind having five or six playable characters at the most, but ten and possibly even above just sounds outrageous to me.

However, they could work well as power-ups like in Sonic Generations. Like summoning Tails to fly you, Knuckles to break down obstacles, Shadow to warp you to a nearby area with Chaos Control or slowing down time, Silver making platforms around you float so you could get to higher areas, etc. Although at this point my patience has boiled down to just wanting full fledged playable characters without any gimmicks for once, nothing less.

As for Ipool, I thought you were suggesting that they'd all just play like Sonic with barely any changes lol. Sorry for the miscommunication. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Well I was referring more to entirely different mechanics for each character like they did with the SA subseries.

Also, am I the only one that thinks this Sonic game sounds eerily like SA3?
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Well I don't remember the previous Adventures having optional paths that take you to entirely different levels. Only thing that sounds similar are the unlockable characters like in the first game, but they won't be introducing any new ones and apparently they're implied optional and won't feature majorly different playstyles like being in a complex mech.

Besides, Sonic 2006 will always be SA3 in my book, whether that's a good thing or not. (I know that Sonic fans always debate as to whether there's been an SA3 or not, but until I see another Sonic titled Sonic Adventure 3, I'm going to label it as 2006.)
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Again, this is just part of the comparison that introducing extra characters with different mechanics into a Mario game would be odd, which is why I always felt doing just that excessively with Sonic was detrimental to the game as a whole. Obviously the game's not going to be exactly a match to what I'm describing, but the point remains. If they do maintain that the characters are all only slightly different in this game, I'm fine with it, but if they make several different mechanics like they've been known to, I have a bit of a problem with it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Oh, I knew that. I was kind of bringing up the whole Super Mario Bros. 2 thing as a fun fact as I aged about the whole cast with the different features and such. I should've worded my comment better though, as I agree with the entire comment you just posted.

Besides this, I wonder if there might finally be a return of co-op in a Sonic game since were finally getting multiple playable characters again. Though it'd have to be split screen of course. However, a problem arises if the two characters go through different paths. Do they automatically unlock two levels at the same time this way? Or does the person who reechoes a specific goal first makes both players follow that specific path? I'm leaning towards the latter considering how I don't really see why the playthrough of a level should still continue after a player has crossed the goal, especially if the other player is far behind.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quackerzacher on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:27 pm

hehe *votes for '06*
quackerzacher
Trainer
Trainer

PSN : quackerzacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CalDW19940 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:04 am

Sonic Team kinda forgot how to make good games and it took them until Sonic Unleashed before they managed to get to grips with a style of movement and mechanics needed for a 3D Sonic game to be controlable while still retaining the feeling of speed (though they still messed up with the werehog levels).

Sonic Colours and Generations have since worked on this formula and polished it a bit more and both are fantastic.

So long as they don't try anymore games out of context and stick to current game mechanics they should get back in the saddle with Sonic.

CalDW19940
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : CalDW19940

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sonic Lost World announced (Wii U/3DS)

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri May 17, 2013 1:26 pm

We know nothing!

also sega/nintendo have a 3 game partnership for sonic consisting of this, Mario & Sonic winter Olympics 2014 and an unknown.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm

The WiiU version better damn well be 3D. Generations was so clean in the 3D sections and if it were to be Sonic Colorsesque (i.e., mostly 2D) I would seriously be disappointed as a newfound fan of the games.

That said, this is good news for Nintendo, although they really should've pushed for a better deal rather than Mario and Sonic 2014, because that doesn't ship hardware. Although...what if the third game is a Mario vs. Sonic 2D game? Like an odd amalgam of the two? That could turn out interestingly.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri May 17, 2013 4:20 pm

If you said that first paragraph on a sonic fan forum you would die with torches, pitchforks and explosions. And lots of fire.

I agree though. A nice balance between the two would be great.

Mario and sonic platformer would have to work like generations but that game proved it can happen.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Fuck the Sonic fanbase. Just saying that now.

But yeah, I could see something really unique in that third game that would draw in players to the console. It almost has to.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Fuck the sonic fan base.... VIVA DE LA REVALUATION!

honestly they are one of the worst fan bases out their. Not all of em mind. Its like the ratchet/Pokemon fanbases, some nostalgiafags who can't see past the originals, some who like modern only and some true fans who like both for what they are. But will call out the makers if they royally screw up. The sonic fan base is this by ten.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri May 17, 2013 4:41 pm

The R&C fanbase was completely fine until A4O. One slip-up/Insomniac spin-off and the series is apparently terrible now.

That said, I'm gonna go download the FFA patch and play while I laugh and sing Groovitron songs, because fuck the old school R&C fanboys, from an old school R&C fanatic.

And yeah, Sanic's fanics are the absolute worst. Zelda's a close second sometimes.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Fri May 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I don't understand the point of announcing a game and saying nothing about it other than that it exists. That's supposed to get us excited?

But I was surprised when it was Nintendo announcing new Sonic games and not Sega. For a brief moment I thought they bought the IP.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri May 17, 2013 5:42 pm

well get one [publisher and lose another. ea just called the wii u shit.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri May 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Shadow, Ken Balough, the main public SEGA rep for Sonic 4: Episode II announced that there'll be an announcement of an announcement of the game's teaser trailer. So I'd say this is normal lol.

Anyways, this was arguably a decent move, although one of the games being wasted on olympics is a waste. I agree with DP because although Colors is arguably my second-favorite Sonic game (c'mon DP, it was still still a hell of a good game compared to the other recent entries besides Generations), it did too much 2D for a 3D game. Just do it like the Generations stages for Modern Sonic by having about 75% 3D and the rest in good o'l 2.5D.

And DP, you should really see the Kingdom Hearts fanbase sometime. Also, EA's... EA. They've actually been giving this impression for quite sometime and never even bothered to release any DLC for ME3 on the Wii U. Not trying to seem like a fanboy here but they can pretty much go screw themselves, especially since towards the Wii U's launch they made the impression that they were actually the biggest third-party supporters of the Wii U countless times in conferences and updates. So what I'm saying is that they're greedy hypocrites.

As for an ACTUAL M&S crossover... I doubt it. Through various updates and replies and stuff, both companies have made the impression that they're never going to budge on doing anything that's not sports related. And this is coming from a guy who still theorizes on what such a game could have and have looked forward to the prospect for years. I need to see it to believe it, honestly.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri May 17, 2013 11:47 pm

I never dissed Colors, I just said it was too 2D. Additionally, I'd like to note that we don't exactly know everything that went on between Nintendo and EA. I don't really like defending EA all that much, but I have to when we only really see one side of the die here. Let's not forget that Nintendo have been known to be assholes several times (Sony, anyone?), and a lot of their behind-the-scenes stuff can seem shady at times. (Not to mention I wouldn't personally wanna release DLC for the WiiU, either, because from what I understand DLC is really weird to implement with that console.)
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat May 18, 2013 1:23 am

lol It was more or less me hoping that you liked Colors since I don't think you've played it yet rather than me assuming you dissed it. XD

Although I'd really say that's just your interpretation with the last bit. It's more or less companies being willing to adapt to a new console of the market when they've already planned and even released DLC for other consoles earlier. Not to mention just adapting to the fact that nintendo's finally getting into modern terms with enabling DLC and such. But that's just my perception of it as well.

And I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't act like a jerk (like we've discussed in a certain recent thread already, for example). I've just been up to date with Wii U info so much that when I look back to when I was just looking up rumors of a new Nintendo console and EA's whole u-turn of support, it honestly disgusts me, really. I mean, don't think I'm applying morals or anything to business and marketing and such, it's just that they literally ALWAYS kept proclaiming the Wii U's revolutionary potential, kept yelling about how they have so much comfort in working with Nintendo, even debuting with their own portion of a couple Nintendo E3s dedicated towards their support (at least going by my memory), showing off a bunch of games at firs (mainly sports shovelware, but still a bunch of games compared to other third-parties), etc. But now we have Mass Effect 3 alone with no DLC, EA essentially jumping ship, and not to mention their entire tone and behavior radically flipped on its side. Of course, I realize that many things go on behind the curtain and presentations, but it was just how I felt. I wasn't jumping on the mainstream EA hatewagon in any way, just my pure point of view.

Also, I was originally going to type in my former comment that you'd be the one who'd post a rebut towards in this fashion. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm just going by how I've gotten to know you. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat May 18, 2013 5:43 am

I have to agree with ea. It was their lead engineer who did an orth.

To be clear I don't agree the Wii u sucks or that its less powerful than a 360 "it has a blue ray drive Nuff said" although a fully realized ps3 for exclusives is probably more powerful "look at naughty dog or quantic dream. Nintendo will never hit that level of programing excellence simply cause they aren't bothered and their machine can't." And the tablet is pretty gimmicky 90% of the time. Unless your company can fully realize its potential "and only Nintendo will" also they only have support from Sega Ubisoft and Namco Bandai. Everyone else up sticks and headed for brokeback mountain ea only adds to the pile of ass fuckery.

The main point I agree with him on however is that Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles with certain ubishovlewear and sonic being exceptions. "hence Sega and Ubisoft are still there" Mario Zelda smash....that's what sells. I mean when Namco and Ubisoft two of your biggest supporters are also courting Sony as are square Activision ea and even fucking blizzard and the Xbox gets similar interest you know your no niche.

.Nintendo may very well pull out of home consoles like a jock on prom night but they will never pull a Sega. Handhelds will live on perhaps indefinitely.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat May 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Count, ME3's WiiU sales (all 50,000 of them) have a lot to do with that game not getting DLC, either. Hell, the fact that the WiiU has done a nosedive since its launch is a fair enough reason for any company to pull away from them while they have the chance.

Edit/Update: http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/03/25/the-sexual-history-between-nintendo-and-electronic-arts/
Read that article. That's actually exactly the kind of thing I was talking about before.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun May 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Ugh, I had a huge rebuttal explaining how I wasn't saying that I wasn't saying that it was not a smart choice but feeling it was a bit hypocritical for EA to be the one company to completely retrace its tracks and even used an example of if Capcom was one of the biggest supporters of the PS4 but decided to turn away due to a poor rate of support after launch, etc. but family matters came up and I wasn't able to post it or use my laptop until now. Let's just forget about the whole EA thing, okay? I just meant to say that it was a dickish move to play after their obvious and constant support, not that it wasn't reasonable or unexpected or that everything was definitely peaches and cream. I can admit that it was my fault that I could've worded this better. Also, I couldn't have cared less about EA's Wii U games, I just saw them releasing so much positive feedback almost everyday about Nintendo that it sickened me at first when I realized how drastic their u-turn was. And lpool, we did the whole PS4>Wii U dance ten times over, there's no need to bring it back up again.

Ugh... I just hate how these situations make me look like a fanboy when I'm literally trying to make the impression that I'm not and trying to use criticism from both sides all the time. I'm sorry, I just feel like I got misunderstood on this subject and now I feel like a total idiot. what

Back on-topic, and no disrespect to you lpool, but can we merge this thread with this one so we can talk about the partnership between SEGA and Nintendo in general? I'd personally appreciate it, but it's up to the thread OP ultimately.

http://pastadium.forumotion.com/t1798-sonic-the-hedgehog-discussion
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next