Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is your favorite Sonic game in the main series?

8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
17% 17% 
[ 2 ]
17% 17% 
[ 2 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
25% 25% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 12

Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:41 pm

There hasn't been much talk abut this classic series, which a shame. A huge shame in fact, as it's my favorite video game franchises as much as Mario obviously is for me. Themain inspiration for this thread though came from a rumor that a new Sonic game would be announced in the middle of this month, which seems more likely since on Hedgehog Day (yesterday, and Feb 2nd is the release date for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and where SEGA usually reveals or at least teases the latest Sonic game). Here's the rundown of the rumor from The Sonic Stadium:

RUMOUR: SEGA to Announce New Sonic Game Next Month?

Official News · Posted on January 23, 2013 by Shadzter

Sources close to SEGA have informed The Sonic Stadium that the publisher intends to announce/tease a new game within the Sonic the Hedgehog series next month. Sonic fans will recall that February 2nd is of course what SEGA calls ‘Hedgehog Day’, a day the company usually likes to tease fans about upcoming Sonic games. However, one of our sources states that the game won’t be announced until mid-February, while another just says we “will hear about it from official sources next month”. It’s likely SEGA could tease a reveal on Hedgehog Day and make a proper announcement later in the month.

One source has shared what they allege to be details about the new game. The game’s title doesn’t appear to be finalized yet, but its platforms are. It will be released on Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, PS Vita, PC, and “Next gen” consoles. This source says anything involving these new consoles is strictly confidential to people at the top of the company, so they unfortunately don’t have any information to share about those versions. As for the other versions, the source states the console, PC and PS Vita versions will be identical aside from the graphical differences, while the 3DS version will be another Sonic Rush styled game.

The source elaborates that the console version of this new game will be sticking with the recent formula seen in Sonic Unleashed (Daytime), Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations where gameplay switches between full 3D movement and 2D side-scrolling sections. Multiple routes through a stage will return, but this time you will have an incentive to play through them all. Each route in a stage will lead to one of two or three exits at the end that will each take you to a different stage. You will always end up at the same final stage, though. Our source says final stage count hasn’t been decided, but the developers are trying for at least 20 different stages, not including boss battles.

Character wise, our source says you will begin the game with Sonic and unlock other characters to play as by completing stages. It’s been made clear that this doesn’t mean 20+ characters are available, though. “For example, you might unlock Knuckles in any one of three stages. Sometimes, if you already have a character that would be unlocked first, a different one may be unlocked. Altogether we’re looking at about 10 different characters to play with, and no, Sonic isn’t getting any new friends. All of the playable characters will be existing Sonic characters.”

Our source goes on to explain that each character will have their own skills to help them progress in stages easier where others will have more difficulty or simply cannot ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Sonic Advance series. One example described involves Sonic and Shadow not being able to make it up a wall, while Tails can easily fly up there or Knuckles can climb, allowing them access to an exit Sonic and Shadow can’t reach. Despite that, our source assures us that stages can be replayed with any character of your choice, though.

Moving on to the 3DS version, the source says it will be “similar in idea, but smaller in scope”. The developers are trying to fit all of the characters into the game, but it will feature far fewer stages. There will still be many paths through stages, but at this point, the source says it looks like every stage will only ever branch off into 2 stages.

Our source ends by telling us “All in all, the games look very promising at this point” and assures us that SEGA has their best developers working on the games and that they have been in the works since before Sonic Generations. The game should be out in stores this Fall/Autumn, or at the latest, Winter. Another source corroborates the Fall schedule and expects the game to be released around September.

We have verified our sources as best as we can, but until official confirmation is made by SEGA, we’re marking this rumour for now.

So for any Sonic fans or haters out there, what are your thoughts?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I can't see them getting too many different levels, going by that description, at least not while the game remains profitable/the levels remain unique. It's quite simply very difficult for Sonic to have a lengthy 3D experience, as has been shown over the course of the 3D era. That's why I'd assume the 20 different levels imply a 55:45 ratio of 2D to 3D levels. The 2D-3D formula for Sonic is really a good one to have, considering it allows them to make a profitable game while still keeping it quality and worth the money.

However, Generations and maybe Colors are really the exception to the rule thus far, so I'll remain skeptical of Sega until I see some evidence that they're going to keep Sonic a quality franchise.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:07 pm

DP wrote:I can't see them getting too many different levels, going by that description, at least not while the game remains profitable/the levels remain unique. It's quite simply very difficult for Sonic to have a lengthy 3D experience, as has been shown over the course of the 3D era. That's why I'd assume the 20 different levels imply a 55:45 ratio of 2D to 3D levels. The 2D-3D formula for Sonic is really a good one to have, considering it allows them to make a profitable game while still keeping it quality and worth the money.

However, Generations and maybe Colors are really the exception to the rule thus far, so I'll remain skeptical of Sega until I see some evidence that they're going to keep Sonic a quality franchise.
hey adventure 1 and 2 were great as well (for their time at least) it was 06 and unleashed that ruined sonics rep
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 pm

The twenty different levels could also actually apply for acts instead of separate themes, or "full" zones/worlds. I mean, Colors and Generations had less than ten actual themes, so skipping all the way to twenty and maybe even over that sounds a bit ludicrous unless this game has been in development since or even before Colors, which seems a bit unlikely. However, I can still see the next game harnessing the Unleashed playstyle once more which it totally a good thing in my eyes and can be improved even more (in the good way and not that it was bad before).

However, I will ask you this DP. Colors (it really is a great Sonic game after SEGA's streak with the previous 3D titles, so I would suggest getting rid of the maybe in my opinion until you actually play it) and Generations may be flukes and I understand your skepticism (and agree for the most part), but if they manage to put out another successful title, will you continue to have the same opinion and wariness towards them? I mean, SEGA isn't really the "smartest" company (and that's a compliment), but it does look like that they could rise from the ashes into a new Golden Age, so to speak.

And Dragon, I actually liked Unleashed. People complain way to much about the Werehog. Yes, it didn't fit in with Sonic and was not the best "gimmick" they came up with, but the gameplay itself was by no means bad and required precise platforming and expansive exploration. The daytime levels while sticking with the traditional Sonic theme focus too much on the speed aspect and kind of loose what really makes Sonic a game, the platforming, usually into a bunch of QTEs and memorization most of the time. Unleashed has flaws, but I'd still consider it to be one of the good Sonic titles. The only titles in the franchise that i can label as bad are 2006 and Shadow, although the latter's bearable though (to a certain extent for me).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Adventure 1 and 2 are considered great pretty much only because of nostalgia nowadays. They had many, many flaws to them even at the time. I've had that discussion with a friend several times, and only recently has he started to realize the truth to my points. The games cemented the flaws that would carry into '06, and also compounded the issues that Sega had been pushing forward prior to that.

Really, the series only ever existed in 3D in the first place to compete with Mario, just like every major decision, and nearly every major mistake, that Sega had made with the series. I'm glad it's starting to hit a sort of Renaissance, but I won't ignore the problems the series has had because of it.

And Count, if the above didn't answer your question, my answer is pretty much always going to be no to that until Sega goes through a full transition of management, as well as Sonic Team. I simply cannot trust a company and ignore all of the dozens of mistakes they've made out of greed and lack of foresight that easily, unless Sonic '13 somehow ends up being the bona fide GotY. As a (fitting) example, I was wary of Telltale working on Walking Dead because of this, but I will never doubt them again after they put out the bona fide 2012 GotY.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 pm

I actually still look at the Adventure games s being good, but I agree that I can realize how they rooted the flaws of 2006 and the flaws within themselves, along with promoting how the 3D games would try to jumble up a bunch of features that even though tried to renovate the series basically ended up instead trying to diverge what made Sonic, well, Sonic. Even so, I do look at those games (and Heroes) is a positive light. I'll admit that there is nostalgia value, but there is more than that.

Although given how the series since Colors found a new head of Sonic Team in Takashi Iizuka, who was the Senior Game Designer of Sonic 3 and there have been recent management changes recently since I am (or technically was) an active member in the forums and such. Not to mention a bunch of layoffs, but that's obvious. Whether it will grow into something more dynamic, I can't say. But I can at least give them my consent at this point to handle the Sonic series in a decent fashion. Although I will agree that in order to "redeem" themselves, they need to reach for infinity and beyond successfully.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:48 pm

That sounds eerily like what they said about 06.

Plus I guarantee that sonic shadow silver and blaze will all be playable and play the exact same. Personally I want metal playable (come on you say that) or mighty....
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:06 pm

I want the Fang the Weasel to be playable... No seriously, why didn't he make it into the modern games in the first place? He was appearing in a bunch of games and I bet that is Sonic X-Treme was actually released,than that would've cemented him with the current Sonic cast. not to mention that he would be an interesting and fresh villain. SEGA had a perfect chance to bring him into Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but oh no, we should just stick with bringing in obvious choices like Tails and Metal Sonic and not take advantage that this game is set in the past.

Ugh, enough of my ranting. I'm glad that the whole "Sola Sonica" phase in this franchise might finally conclude with Generations, but like Ipool said, I worry that too many characters will play the same. Although Ipool, I suspect that Silver could have original gameplay like floating or possibly even carrying objects. Although we should expect a good dose of "ITZ NUH USZE!" as well...
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm

The best Sonic game in years has to be Sonic Generations. It was such a delight! ^_^ too bad it was short as hell -_- before that, I enjoyed... Sonic 2006 and Shadow The Hedgehog. Good god something's wrong with me O_O

Unfortunately I missed out on Sonic Colors (something I'll fix when I eventually get a Wii-U) and I played Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 eons ago.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm

You BETTER play Sonic Colors, or else I will hunt you down Trey. Along with Castlevania too! pissed

And don't worry, nothing's wrong with you. You just haven't played enough good Sonic games like the original 2D titles, Heroes (hey, it was decent alright), and Unleashed (like I mentioned earlier, it's underrated and gets way too much hate).

Anyways, I'm hoping that the Chaotix (or at the least, Vector or Espio) are playable in this new installment. I even came up with an idea of having a game focusing on the Chaotix with a cliche detective mystery story, humor, and of course platforming with missions involved like their levels in Sonic Heroes, but much more dynamic and redefined. not to mention hub worlds like in Sonic Adventure. Heck, it could even include Knuckles or bring back Mighty. But alas, it will never happen...

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm

I shall play Sonic Colors as soon as I get a Wii-U :p and I didn't like Heroes or Unleashed :/

I did grow up on all the originals though. I was a Genesis boy :3
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Eh, that's alright. I can guarantee that even tough I liked them, Colors is still miles ahead. My first video games were Super Mario World and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so I obviously got lucky considering my generation lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 pm

"slaps count"

NEVER AGAIN. NO CHAOTIX!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Don't worry, I was kidding for the most part. But I do like the Chaotix though, personally. I always found them funny (in the classic cheesy way) and unique. I really wouldn't mind a game about them (as long as it isn't a main Sonic game and tries to be it's own thing), although whether it should be like the game I described is up to SEGA. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm

No. I only want metal and shadow to kill them violently....they've teamed up before!

I predict metal as the final boss.....unless they go into deity territory...again
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 pm

I think Chaotix would be cool to have again. And bring back Mighty. Just cause :p
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Why should Metal be the final boss of this? he starred as the antagonist of SOnic 4 and Free Riders, not to mention being a boss in Generations. Give the guy a break. pissed I'd love it if he was playable though. Anyways, with Colors, Generations, and 4, Eggman's been the final boss. Like he SHOULD BE for a main antagonist. However, I wouldn't mind a Sonic game having him not appear (or at least having a minor role/cameo) with a new antagonist. And no, I don't mean like the Storybook games. I mean an actual professional story with villains that SEGA must actually try to give personality.

Speaking of Shadow and Metal Sonic, that team-up was totally inspired by this. You can't deny it.

Spoiler:

And I'm glad to see that you agree Trey. Although when it comes to forgotten characters, this guy gets priority.

Having a Spanish-esque boss theme automatically makes you deserve a return in my book. <3
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Quick question: Did they ever finish 4? I haven't heard or seen anything of Episode 3, but I thought they were continuing.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/no-more-sonic-4-episodes-planned-after-episode-2/

This should answer your question. However, just because they didn't plan it doesn't mean it can't happen and that it isn't one of the things they have in store that they teased about yesterday.

FEBRUARY 3RD, 2013
SEGA has “great stuff coming up this year”, and there’s probably something for the 3DS
No Comments

SEGA has shared the following message in a blog post:

"On February 2nd in 1994, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was released in the US, and it was dubbed “Hedgehog Day”. For the past few years, we’ve revived this day as a holiday for all Sonic fans. We’ve got some great stuff coming up this year, but we’re not ready to talk about it just yet.
Of course, it’s not strange for a company to say they have “great stuff” coming up, but this is also a reminder of the rumour that said a new Sonic game would be announced this month, and that it’d be coming to the 3DS."

The expectation was for an announcement to be made today, but since it won’t be happening today, maybe it won’t be happening at all this month? This would have been the perfect day to announce something, after all.

Source: http://nintendo3dsblog.com/sega-has-great-stuff-coming-up-this-year-and-theres-probably-something-for-the-3ds/
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 pm

IIRC 4 Episode II was the last one :/ and yes! Fang/Nack would be a great boss in the next game. They need to bring him back at some point. He doesn't have to be the main boss, but a boss at least. ...still thought #BringBackMighty lol

Edit: Beaten -_- lol
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Why metal? Cause unlike eggman he poses a threat and unlike deities he Isn't cheesy
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Actually, I meant an explanation as to how there is evidence that points to him. Not why he'd be a good choice. Besides, Metal despite his darker nature is really one of those c"Oh, I'm a total badass. Watch me summon lightning." villain cliches. I'd still rather see a new villain with actual development put into him/her. Although anything's better than another deity that just roars and looks like a demon lol.

However, this will probably tie into what this game could be about.

Hm, will this be a Sonic preschool game?! what
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:27 pm

My evidence for metal is all the characters together. That's about it.

A new antagonist would be cool and smart. So not happening cuz Sega
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Personally, I want to see Mephiles return :3 damn it SEGA, just give me Sonic Generations gameplay with Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 story >:/
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:35 pm

No...if it was better developed sure.but beasty frickin ality (actually Elise in general).....ruined it all. It was conveluted ridiculous and honestly insulting.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top