I need some advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I need some advice

Post by DP on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am

This thread could technically fit into two sections, but I feel this one fits the subject as a whole more than the other. If it trains off into a bit of game-related discussion, the reason is that this is hefty but equal parts game and general chat. That said, I'll move onto the subject.

So for my AP English class, we will be writing a 10-page research paper on any topic we desire. I've strongly been considering one particular topic, but I'm not fully sure I can get 10 pages out of it. So, I'll ask you guys.

As an aspiring game developer, and obviously an avid gamer, I've always wanted to write on the topic of video games being art. I know some of you are very familiar with my writing style, either from my PSAS review or my repertoire of daily threads from September to November, so I want to see what you guys think about the idea. (I'd prefer we don't discuss the topic itself here, because I believe we have a thread for that, and also because I'm sure we all agree based on the fact that we're on a video game forum.)
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I need some advice

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:19 pm

dp you can easily get 10 pages out of it if you reference both sides of the argument. for example for art you could have Journey Walking dead MGS4 shadow of the colossus ect and for non art just go over Cod Gta ect. pick out moments that made you feel something and compare them to the cod stereotyping.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:41 pm

The main issue is that I have to see if my teacher would accept non-scholarly articles. There are a lot of reputable writers that aren't at colleges that have written on the subject. I have to talk to her to see if she's cool with that. (She's a really cool person, and she did say that you could do literally anything, so I think she could be fine with that.) Then it becomes an issue of if I can think of enough different points to reach 10 pages. I'm not as concerned with that, though.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by CalDW19940 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 pm

You could possibly mention how games are not only just art but they can be classed as more than games, classed as an experience.

Some games for example you don't win or lose you just finish it. Journey is a prime example of this, no winning or losing or final boss just an adventure, an experience.

Some of those experiences are something possibly only games can acomplish to their fullest when engaging. The twists in games like Bioshock or Portal are something no movie could achieve by making that twist have the same impact if using a character who is not the player, not yourself. Those twists have a greater impact since it's more so that the player was the one betrayed after all the interactions they made throughout the game.

Being immersed in the game is probably what makes them most enjoyable when done right, games don't need to be fun or have set rules all the time just because they're called games. Shadow of the Colossus has game elements but the whole immersion is what makes it feel so great, you actually feel like you are battling something the size of a mountain and not so much just watching Wander do it.

Just some little things I thought may be worth mentioning. ^^
CalDW19940
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : CalDW19940

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Games that are heavy on the story(Story telling's an art) and the graphics/style are another good point to use.

Visually, that's the first thing that should stand out.
The difference between the visuals of the game, cel-Shaded, cartoony, realistic. That's all an art and takes time to craft a whole world in that style.

Music's also an art and every game is filled with original compositions that would not exist if the game didn't. Game's aren't just an art form but they're a combination of different art forms into one.
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Believe me, it's not so much about the subject itself. I know exactly what I'll put if I write it. It's the if that I'm asking about.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Well, I wrote an essay during the writing portion of taking the PSATs to get into one of the most prestigious high schools in the country while I was in eighth grade and the there were three questions I could respond to. The third specifically asked me there was a certain non or fictional person I could relate to and has extremely influenced my life to the point of showing me morals, revealing me to beauty, developing my character, etc. (Also, just to add, you couldn't write your name even once on the test so it was a bit ironic for me) So I decided to write about Mario. I went on towards the general subject of how video games are art, the recent modern hype concerning FPS games (And why I thought how fads such as this were petty, especially for CoD), how video games in general literally forged most of my character, gave me an understanding of morality, philosophy, etc. and all that juicy stuff.

So as a result, I was one out of only five people in my entire school/eighth grade who got accepted and I had one of the highest grades on PSATs that scores better than over 90% of Sophomores last year and made most of the other freshman look pathetic in that category. I understand how you might be worried about whether they would accept papers or reports on subjects such as this due to the stereotypical outlook on video games in life and how it could seem like an invalid topic compared to the more "scholarly" topics you could write. And in no way can I promise you 100% that they will accept it and I was even worried about whether my test was even valid for getting me even noticed considering the topic I wrote about, and not to mention how I pretty much chose a character with the same name as me lol. And this is high school of course and technically not college. However, they still accepted it and recognized my potential out of hundreds (Or even thousands) of other students who applied that same year,

So really, the best I can really tell you in a bit of a cliche way, is to believe in the heart of the video games. Wink
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm

DP, I highly recommend the Extra Credits videos on YouTube. They try to convey that Video Games are art and can be made into something wonderful as technology increases. They are some of the best videos around, and since you're an aspiring developer I definitely suggest watching them if only for that reason alone, but I also believe they'll help you with your paper :p

Examples:

These aren't the greatest examples, but I just did a quick search on YouTube lol. Seriously though man check em out :)
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:50 am

Okay, so now that I've discussed some of my concerns with my teacher, I'm for sure doing this as my subject. My two main concerns were the lack of "scholarly" articles (she claimed she had no real problem with professional articles since the subject doesn't have much scholastic merit at this time) and an issue with our paper's size. The latter issue came up when she was discussing tips and stuff, and I filled two pages with either sentences I would use, topics I would bring up, or a list of games I can cite in my paper (I was at 13 off the top of my head), all in the course of an hour. I was concerned with whether our 10 page max was actually a max, but she said she's willing to read as many pages as needed so long as I'm actually willing to write that much.

Based on preliminary info, I'm thinking that 15 is my current lowball, and that's not including research for articles, quotes, etc.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Damn dude O_o

lol

but seriously good luck with your paper :D and don't forget Extra Credits for references. I'm not sure if they could be cited though :/
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 pm

I actually wrote a seventeen page paper for social studies/history in sixth grade over spring break only because I thought that it had to be that length. Turns out that it was required to be much, much, MUCH, more shorter. However, I was the only student who got an A on the project anyways, so I don't regret anything. Hey
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Well, we have about a month or two to do this. Also, I haven't actually looked at the videos yet, but if I use them I'm sure I can find a way to cite them.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:07 pm

You've got a month? You'll be fine. Plus, those Daily Threads were good practice lol :D and through 9-11th grade I was a straight A student who went above and beyond. Then 12th grade I took the year off and partied. All. Year. Long. awesome
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:09 pm

I could crank out five pages a day if I really needed to, I've got that much prepared.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top