Why I Hate The Show Glee AND Hate Large Conglomerates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why I Hate The Show Glee AND Hate Large Conglomerates

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 am

A post from Rob DenBleyker, Cyanide and Happiness writer:

I usually post dumb jokes here, but tonight I want to talk seriously about "Glee" (the show on Fox) and how much of a horrid pile of shit it is. I'm not a fan of the show. Maybe some people are. Whatever, that's fine. Whether you like Glee or not, you should be aware of this.

Tonight an episode of Glee aired in which the writers shamelessly copied, note for note, Jonathan Coulton's fantastic acoustic guitar cover of 'Baby Got Back' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWaN_Tc5wo ). They didn't ask him or credit him. Fox, one of the biggest TV networks, found this cool thing on the Internet and just went "Yeah, let's use that!"

Here's an article: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/glee/glee-roundup-baby-got-back-sca-48991.aspx

This doesn't just annoy me as a Jonathan Coulton fan. It pisses me off to my core because, like Mr. Coulton, I am an independent Internet creator type, and this kind of blatant theft happens pretty frequently. And, more often than not, there's nothing the creator can do about it. Big studios have big legal teams.

I'm mostly just venting here, but hopefully reading this will leave some kind of impact on you folks, as consumers of both independent and big studio content. As viewers, please don't let this kind of thing slide. If you already hated Glee, now you can hate it for more reasons and spread the word. If you love Glee, now you're aware that it's run by spineless thieves.

That is all. Your daily butt jokes will resume tomorrow. Also, check out Jonathan Coulton's music. It's good stuff.

Screw you Glee. Screw you for taking original artist's ideas for your own selfish gains.

Back to top Go down

Re: Why I Hate The Show Glee AND Hate Large Conglomerates

Post by god-of-paradise on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 am

what a shame /: I have never watched glee but I know a lot of people who do. How can fox seriously get away with that??? Hopefully people who watch the show will at least find the original song artist by chance and get him famous.. They should have gotten him permission in the first place
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:01 am

It's terrible what Fox did to Jonathan Coulton. Unbelievable! (A lot of people say I look like him, I can't believe the resemblance. XD)

I never liked Glee from the start. Rehashing songs that just shouldn't have been touched in the first place was one screw up. The next screw up was when the creator of the show blatantly attacked the Kings of Leon for not wanting to take part in the show. Seriously? I was so mad when I read that. You don't just go and disrespect a band in media just because they didn't want to make a special guest appearance or have any of their songs "Musicalized" (not a word but roll with me here.).

Everything seemed too trendy as well. I didn't like these cardboard cut-out characters filling obvious highschool stereotypes just to attract unnecessary attention. Where's the personality?

Glee's a one-trick pony in my eyes. Musical after musical. It should have stuck to being a single musical production rather than a full-blown tv series.

Last edited by Fabsta1994 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quackerzacher on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:25 am

i thought you sued everyone for everything in murica how does this not apply here
quackerzacher
Trainer
Trainer

PSN : quackerzacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

That's bullshit. Hopefully Johnathan Coulton gets some sort of recognition out of this. His song Code Monkeys was my theme for the longest time ^_^
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top