Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Post by DP on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Spoiler:
I feel like the Red Lotus were honestly dead once they captured the three survivors. Yeah, Zaheer stated there were more, but that felt like a lie to me.

As for Toph, her ending was beautifully done to me. She didn't WANT to fight, and she even said "at some point, you gotta leave it to the kids." After that, not one old character returned for the final few episodes. That was a great way to show the line between the shows, even more than literally killing off Aang's connection to Korra. It did a great job of helping make the show its own thing.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Spoiler:
Hm, didn't think about it like that. I agree then. Although I do feel like you're exaggerating that analogy a bit by acting like it was a purposeful tactic to showcase individuality when the show was just instinctively focusing on the original cast they built up for four seasons (in a mediocre fashion as an epilogue, no less, but still), even though I am also in favor of Korra maintaining its own identity by focusing on its own characters. Considering how Zuko, Katara, and Toph had very minimal roles, here was no need to, although I would agree with the sentiment that the amount of little focus they got in the entirety of the show compared to the newer cast to give them more of a spotlight was the right move to make.

I feel the same way about the Red Lotus in hindsight, but you could always make them more of a threat if you just wrote them in with more developments and focus than just leaving them dangling like that. I'm sorry, I just can't let go of how genius the Red Lotus in concept form was, focusing on four diverse element masters as an analogue to Team Avatar's success, connecting a past antagonist to their existence to expand on world-building/plot relevance (Unalaq), and just the whole premise of this over a century old splinter faction of the White Lotus formed from the first show pulling strings from behind the scenes and having beneficial point of view but twisted means and goals that ties the new and old shows with that one specific thread. It's just too good to let go like that when it still has so much potential to be expand upon, ugh. In terms of current plot relevance, they pretty much served their main purpose and such, but like I said, THE POTENTIAL. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:16 pm

Spoiler:
I agree about the red lotus, mostly. As for Toph, this show does everything deliberately. It always has, since Airbender. Thematically it lined up with everything, and the lack of even Zuko's presence in the Republic City defense showed that even more. (If anybody would join that fight of the old Team Avatar, it's Zuko.) There wasn't even a touch of old character, which is why I'm sure it was deliberate. Plus, the entirety of seasons 2 and 3 pretty much focused on Korra NOT being Aang, and separating herself from the famous Avatar (to us).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Spoiler:
I see what you mean now when you bring up those obvious, yet subtle, past examples. I agree completely. Guess this is just one of those nitpicks I have to let go of lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:14 am

What's the point of posting with spoilers? Isn't that implied by virtue of the topic?

In any case, I watched Zuko vs the lava dude. Makes sense he got his arse kicked, considering he was 88, but it's still a little disappointing that it happened in 9 seconds. I'd have accepted that better if it was the actual main antagonist that beat him so fast. 

The lava dude still perplexes me because there's no reason for him to be able to superheat rocks to the point of melting. That said, I'm sure Zuko would've been able to beat him if he was in his prime. Or heck, if he just decided to use his dragon's flames to power up a little he wouldn't have gotten wrecked so hard, since his own fire blasts were a little weak looking.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:35 am

I had that same mindset too, Pirate, but I was once lambasted for posting open spoilers in a general discussion topic like this (heck, I think this WAS the topic, not sure lol) because I spoiled somebody. Sure, logic should have dictated the assumption that perhaps there would be open spoilers from my perspective still, but I'm just being mindful for the community.

Anyways, we learned from Yakone's non-Full Moon-essential bloodbending trait and Combustion Man's unique Firebending technique that some Benders are basically genetically gifted with bending mutations, so it does make sense. Is it a bit cheap and twisted the world's established logic to a bit of a drastic degree that could hamper suspense of disbelief? I'd agree with that sentiment to some extent, but watching the four main elements gets boring out of time and lava bending is just an awesome thing in general so I don't mind lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:53 am

I just thought Lavabending should be a firebender first. I mean, having a combustion bender AND a firebender would've been fine since lava would've worked the same throughout the fights then. Just a few different moves.

As for spoilers, Blade said he hadn't watched, and the ending was just a week or so ago. That alone mandates spoilers for plot discussion.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:11 am

Eh, lava traditionally tends to connect more with geokinesis when it comes to fictional series in general, so I suppose that's why I didn't mind. Everything heat-related doesn't automatically relate to fire in my eyes.

But DP, how does your comment make sense? If lava bending was a Firebender, then there'd be no Combustion Bender and throw off the whole theme of the four elements being repped lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:21 pm

No, I'm saying that I'm fine with there being no Earthbender if they kept the lavabender and the combustion bender. That's my point. The scenes where he's present would have been the same if he were not an Earthbender.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:41 pm

But there's no point to that, it just has two Firebenders on the same squad instead of one Earthbender who has one of the same exact abilities. All it does is lessen diversity and instead just has "oh, lava's hot, so special fire benders would OF COURSE control it", no offense to you. That type of mindset is limiting and as simplistic as, say, it having more to do with WATERbending than Fire due to how lava incorporates having a fluid-based form. All it does is make it feel slightly less redundant that they couldn't get an Earthbender as an antagonist until season 4 just because of these simplistic technicalities that don't even take into account basic science that everyone should know so it's not like it really limits suspense of disbelief too much. I used to actually complain about it not being a Firebending technique at first (hell, I thought that Roku and Sozin bended lava in The Last Airbender with a mix of Roku's Earthbending with Sozin's Firebending going off of bad memory), but then when I researched into Geokinesis (and mainly Thermogeokinesis), I accepted it. Lava has more earth connections considering its connection to volcanos and being made of molten rock (which both solidifies and liquifies). The only flaw I'd have to pick apart from it is it technically being OP and PIS that Bolin doesn't use it more often (although you could argue that's because he doesn't want to seriously injure his enemies, but still).

EDIT: And I would beg to argue that the usage of lava bending is still a bit more varied that basic fire bending considering how they are more ground-spawned/leveled attacks akin to Earthbending and aren't just spontaneous quick bursts of fire that aren't as hazardous along impact (not that I mean to say you could play with fire lol), not to mention the slow speed of it compared to other types of bending in exchange for the raw power.

Last edited by Count Mario on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:57 pm

The only instance where it makes sense aa an Earthbending technique is when you're physically moving lava. Creating it makes no sense to me, especially when a certain character randomly learns it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Creating fire bending makes no sense when each of the other three bending techniques stem from an actual natural source (air currents, water resources), and surrounding earth, so it's nothing new. It comes from friction in its most general sense, not flailing your arms with fictional martial arts techniques. Guess that's the one thing lava bending and fire bending DO have in common though in terms of excused PIS. Hey

I do agree that it's a BS that Bolin learned it on the fly though, even if they did build up how he was looking for his own special Earthbending talent.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top