PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 am

wait i figured something out!

on screw attacks web player you can emmbed their shit here lemme test it

okay it works heres how you do it.

when you hover over a video on their site some stuff pops out on their side bar click the one with this image

press ctrl+v and embedded!

You need this for supes v goku and Pika v Blanka.

why do i use acronyms for the first fighters in both those fights?

Last edited by lpool1996moh on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 am

Really? Finally, I can post more than just YouTube videos! Do you still want to do it?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:42 am

no. no i really don't. my web is back to normal but it still sucks. their pages take forever to load.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Count Mario wrote:I'm sorry, but when a "spoiler" is over half a year old I personally feel free to talk about it in a topic. No offense, I'm just saying, you should've expected it.
Still, half a year old isn't that old. You can't expect everyone to have seen something. Also, if you want to discuss spoilers, use a spoiler tag or other means of hiding the text.

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Relax, I already put a spoiler tag over it. I'm sorry for what happened and I'll admit that I'm guilty. I should've just put a spoiler tag in the first place. I was not expecting everybody to have seen it, I just thought that people who haven't watched Korra would've not checked this topic before watching, which is a pretty stupid thing to consider in retrospect. I don't want to make this seem over-dramatic, but I hope you can forgive me for spoiling the ending for you (although I didn't spoil everything. There's still plenty of stuff to get interested in and peculiar about in the series that are just as big as what I accounted, don't worry).

Just keep in mind though, not every forum's going to be as generous as this one. Try to be more cautious for spoilers (Not that you should suspect every single thread for something you haven't watched, I'm just speaking in general) because thee have been plenty of times where I've ordinarily been spoiled willingly or sadly across other forums.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Alright, I figured that I'd dig this old thread up after my "spoiler jerk" incident. XD So basically, the first third of "The Search" trilogy has been been released for a while. Here's a link to the scans if you guys want to read it.

The Search: Part 1

Okay, I'm about to go into spoilers now, so like a good boy I will put them in tags.

Spoiler:
IKEM IS ZUKO'S REAL FATHER!!!!!!! AVATAR PULLED A MAURY! DUHCKUHVGYILYVURGIUJ,RENY ;408NY9 O4IT5BP4789Y 8EPTU459TY8TY45OSUHFEFE?!?!?!??!

Alright, I was just kidding with that. To be honest, I think that the ending is just a misleading troll. At least, I hope it is. Ikem looks absolutely nothing like Zuko, whereas Ozai does if you disregard his beard and Zuko's scar regarding the jawline, skin tone, long hair, an-just look at their faces to get the point. And not just that, but I feel like this would harm Zuko's character development if he wasn't Ozai's son, considering that sole aspect is the core of his very foundation. I mean, this would help explain why Ozai hated Zuko so much and possibly hint towards why he'd blackmail Ursa to kill Azulon due to threatening to kill Zuko. But I just feel like that would be way too easy and even go as far as diminishing even Ozai's character of being an abusive father, corrupt leader, and just hurt the emotions concerning his interactions with Zuko. That'd be like as if a retcon was produced in Batman that proves that Bruce's parents were targeted for murder, or that Peter wasn't responsible for Uncle Ben's death because he was actually involved in gambling debts so he would've gotten killed eventually anyway. 

I have to say though, I'm enjoying this book a lot more than the previous one. Especially concerning Azula's character and suspense concerning her possible redemption. And I'm glad that Toph is taking a backseat because she just would've been an unnecessary wheel in the mix, although I have to admit that it would've been cool to see her interact with Azula due to living with a wealthy and renowned family herself.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:14 pm

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/91705/platinum-games-developing-the-legend-of-korra-game/

Please don't be awful, please don't be awful.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 pm

its platinum. they haven't really missed yet. worst i can see it being is average. 

the 3ds game looks safeish too, Legacy of Goku is a good past to have for that dev.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:52 pm

I think they're both incredibly childish :D
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

It's Platinum, but it's also Nickelodeon. I can't trust anything they do with the Avatar series.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Thirty3Three wrote:I think they're both incredibly childish :D
why yes they are considered "children's" shows but you saying that proves that youve havent given either of them a chance yet because the themes that are explored throughout the series are anything but childish.

also platinum developing a korra game
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 am

So I just blew through seasons 2-4 of Korra.

Hot damn these guys are impressive. Despite Nickelodeon HATING them and actively screwing them at every turn, they finish two shows in one universe without being derivative. AND they pull...THAT ending, with a Y7 rating.

Absolutely perfect, both shows.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:05 am

Heard about the ending as well.

Looks like I know what I'll be watching once I get my internet back.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:11 am

There are minor issues with Korra, due entirely to budget, and that's been a theme of the show since its inception really. Nick has just screwed this show time and again, and yet it still pulled off a fantastic counter to its prequel show. I mean, right now I'd have to say that ATLA was better as a show because of these minor issues (dropped plot lines in S4, Korra's win/loss ratio, etc.), but Korra REALLY developed the world in such a way that ATLA never came close to doing. Thematically, Korra is much higher up too. I mean they delve into some DEEP shit in later seasons.

Make sure you go into Season 4 knowing it's an epilogue, though. A lot of characters from Seasons 2 and 3 are sort of dropped because it focuses on Korra herself.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Oh that's perfectly fine. I hear Book 3 is da shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:04 pm

book 3 was probably my favorite
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:07 am

I finally binge-watched Book Four tonight and I have to say that it was pretty good. A few notches below Book 3 (but definitely a few steps up from Book 2 and Book 1 is barely even comparable), sure, but it was still pretty damn good to watch. Like DP said, it's mainly intended to be viewed as an extended epilogue and doesn't tie in all of the plot points, such as the leftovers of the Red Lotus. 

Still, the ending episode overall felt a bit more like a season finale than a series finale, but that's just me. I don't think the series needs a whole new book/season to close it up "properly" in my book, but I wouldn't mind an animated movie (and if there's any series that deserves that treatment, it's Avatar). End of the day, The Legend of Korra managed to actually become much better than I thought it could be at first, and I hope this isn't the last we see of the series.

As for the ending scene, just because it's all the rage these days until early January, here's how I feel about it:

Spoiler:

Pasted comment I found on IGN:
As an individual who enjoys eloquent writing, this season/series finale was absolutely terrible. A finale is supposed to tie all the knots that developed throughout the years together (in this case four) and bring the reader/viewer closer to the book/show. Although I'm sure it made the Gay community happy it just did not make sense to sacrifice writing for shock value. Instead of tying these knots together the writers introduced an additional web of loose strings.
There was no basis for introducing Korra as a bisexual/gay character. The writers sacrificed proper writing and story development for shock value. Where and for how long was this random relationship hinted at? And if it wasn't (or was VERY VERY briefly assuming it ever was), how can anyone objectively say the writers made a good choice when they decided to pull something out of thin air?? Gays and lesbians don't always outwardly show their preference and that makes sense, but from a writers perspective to not introduce the relationship between the two characters or develope it in even the slightest way is ridiculous. Asami was a damn brick box that I as a viewer felt no connection towards, only making the conclusion more confusing.
I could go on for days but I'd rather point out the main issue. Everyone needs to understand why the writers did this. They don't necessarily care for the gay community by pulling a stunt like this but rather care more for the ratings, shock value, and the many debates that are sure to ensue. I enjoyed this show very much until the ending where I had a pie thrown at my face by a clown after he slapped me with a giant fish. Terrible way to end an otherwise pretty good season. God-awful writing in the conclusion with extremely transparent motives brought Korra down in my book significantly.

I don't necessarily agree completely with this in terms of the anger-filled tone, but yeah, that scene felt cheap and pulled for a bit of shock value. Don't get me wrong, I see where they hinted at it at certain parts like Korra only writing back to Asami and girl-bonding a few times in Book 3, but they had little to no real development that makes the romantic development believable to have enough time to allow the audience to get invested in it (at least, that's what I would say until seeing how people apparently praise this sequence like a godsend due to appealing to a controversial minority for some reason. If they feel that way, I respect it, but my inner critic says otherwise. Literally, if it wasn't for that scene, I could forgive the lost plot ties and spiritual plothole BS and actually call this season pretty damn great and have no complaints about the ending itself. C'mon, Varrick and Julie's recurring love confession gag had more development put into it by the writers lol. But honestly, compared to everything before with Mako, I would say this is assuredly preferable, but that's not saying much. I love representing diversity in characters in terms of reflecting the backgrounds and tendencies humanity has as a whole rather than what it the "positive mainstream" perspective wants to show, trust me, but you have to put some damn passion into it. And even then, even if it was properly built up and investment-worthy, dedicating the ending of a series to making a contemporary statement instead of dedicating that screen time to honoring more of the characters we've bonded with as a whole is bound to fall part in at least some people's eyes. I know there's only so much you can do with thirteen episodes per season, especially with Nick constantly trying to slit your wrists at random, but c'mon. Now, instead of talking about what we like and remember about the series, the internet is just going to focus on exploring and diverting attention towards a political statement. 

Sorry, it irks me when series I like which are meant to convey escapism with morals and character traits that we can identify with and make complex and meaningful emotional analogies to our reality by applying that mindset in thoughts and action, not to mention having such well-written and paced arcs and cast diversity/growth, get boiled down to pulling a tactic to release two-dollar fortune cookie message that anyone with he slightest bit of compassion would have already accepted as being negative by the year of 2014 by either trying too bluntly hard or just shoving it in at the last minute with seemingly little consideration. If the series was about those types of messages or at least developed those themes in over time, I'd accept it, but no, it has obviously meant to immerse us in a world with lovable characters going through an adventure that matured them and helped inspire us to view our own predicaments, as different or similar as they may be, with what our perceptions have been forged into through this experience.

tl:dr Version: I hope the writers know that romance isn't a territory they should step into again, at least until they're working on seasons with more than thirteen episodes each lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Spoiler:
IGN themselves made a very good counter to that comment in the very article it's found in. It's JUST the beginning of that relationship. People all take that as the ending for Korra's whole life and that she's suddenly gay without "much" explanation (don't see how people didn't see two seasons as too little). There's almost definitely gonna be a follow-up graphic novel series or two that fix this and show them developing their relationship, rather than show the VERY beginning of it.

Besides, if the ending is terrible, that's hardly the reason. The battle mostly sucked, nobody dies to a giant robot laser except for character we were reintroduced two for a few minutes a few episodes prior, who dies in a horrible blaze of glory, several loose ends, etc. The ending is the most solid part of that if anything, honestly. The argument that that guy likes eloquent writing is questionable, since he seems to prefer an all-encompassing series finale to one that thematically ties up the show. The former always panders or disappoints, while the latter tends to leave a mark while leaving minor holes occasionally. Everyone is suddenly forgetting several huge holes with ATLA now that Korra has ended when most of them STILL don't know where Zuko's mom is.

It actually sickened me a bit that reaction was so positive for a few days after it ended, and now a bunch of people have started to shit on it with little justification. Not you, mind you. Just most of the IGN comments have flipped.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Spoiler:

True, it's just the beginning, but when it comes to the context of the series itself and mainly relying on that to be your last note, there are obvious issues you could argue about it. I'm fine with them ending up together, it just seemed like much more of an afterthought and honestly shouldn't have bought up such a notable point in the season/series altogether, especially compared to how shafted the other characters were. Not to mention that all of the hinting (which there's really only a few of) towards it being possible they could get together is done so vaguely (even if it was to escape Nick's censors, it doesn't excuse it) by easily drawing a main established parallel to friendship that the fact that the writers themselves had to confirm the pairing is even possible literally speaks miles. Now, I agree that this in no way should amount to saying "Oh, the ending was bad as a whole because of this one moment" because it wasn't even as much bad as it was wasted potential/obviously rushed because there are plenty of other flaws at work here. But regarding this moment in and of itself, I stand by how I feel. I'll look forward to reading the comics and I'm sure they'll happily elaborate more on it and such, but it's a pretty lackluster end note in my opinion. I don't look at this as the end for Korra's arc because her showing compassion to Kuvira was obviously that point and, regardless of the execution/build-up to that, was pretty likable when you look at her emotional journey as a whole. Heck, I'd argue that quick conversation she had with Tenzin before Asami showed up would've made the sequence feel a bit more satisfying with a clear message and connection to what's been built up in the series and the point of this season in terms of character growth and Korra herself. I'm just referring to the context of this being the last thing shown as a series, not just of Korra herself, hence why I bring up being dissatisfied with barely anybody else in the cast getting any notable last minute focus for their contributions to the story.

And for the record, I was fine with it not being revealed where Zuko's mom was in hindsight because that wasn't really the main crux of his character arc compared to redemption, finding his path to move from his father's shadow, coming to terms with Aang and the Avatar's role in the world, etc. I would have liked it to be revealed, but it's one of those cliffhangers where it wasn't needed to know what is there because that wasn't the main reason for causing emotional investment in his journey (it was a hell of a factor, yes, but still) and the propose result for following through, become the Fire Lord was that. That's why I don't really mind, but that's just me.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Spoiler:
The existence if Korrasami as an afterthought sort of befits the season, does it not? The whole season is an afterthought to the previous three, clearly not trying to live up to them. To me, I feel like because Nick fucked them so much, they decided on four seasons specifically because they knew Dimartino and co were only planning three arcs at most. But that all is why 4 is so powerful. They developed the final two seasons simultaneously, with an increasingly cut budget, but they worked at such a core level with the main group for 4 that they made it work. 4 is by no means perfect, so neither should its ending be perfect. Even with 12 real episodes, Kaya had 0 lines, Bumi became irrelevant, shit, even Tenzin fell by the wayside. 3 is the clear high point in the series, which is surprising because 1 was so good until...wait for it...its ending. I feel wholeheartedly that had they had an acceptable budget and not been gimped at every turn, this would all make sense in context. Of course, I'm not defending what could be, but what IS. It was a flawed ending for a flawed character and s flawed show. That's why I considered it both disappointing AND perfect when I first watched the ending. It was disappointing because the rest of the episode was, but it was also perfect because thematically it was clear as soon as I saw the ending that this was in fact built up clearly. I just had been watching it develop with a straight lens, so I made myself ignorant to what was really developing.

I find it an ending that only gets better with rewatches (of the entire season, even).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:28 am

Spoiler:

I disagree with the straight lens part. I've actually gone back and rewatched the "hints" and they're all pretty damn vague about what they point to or not, and with their past (especially with Mako) being present, it's obvious that they were meant more to be friends than potential lovers or even curious at the thought. Most of it was basically girl-time bonding and things like the letters and Korra blushing were played so minimally and vague that you could've replaced that ending them not getting together and it would not have made a single difference in our minds. You're bound to mainly project your problems onto one person close to you who've vented to before (especially when the choice is your ex and his brother). Like I said before, when you need the freaking creators to confirm the pairing they've apparently been building up and establishing after releasing the reveal and getting mixed signals, that says a lot. Sure, you could argue that it's because Nick wouldn't approve of such a relationship, but if this was the confused result they knew they were leading to, they might as well have left it out altogether.

I agree that it is an afterthought and it works well from that perspective. I noticed how barely anyone got decent screen time and development outside of the core group, but I could accept it because their character arcs were pretty much over by then, even with the Beifong Family plot it was basically just a summarized version of Lin and Suyin's conflict that didn't demand much focus outside of an episode. But even then, when it comes to someone who arguably got the most development this season (or probably out of the whole series) with Bolin, guess what focus he got in the finale? Jack squat. Sure, he got back with Opal in that cute five seconds, but that's literally all we get form that built-up plot line while a recurring joke like VarockxJulie actually gets more focus and proper character arc closure in the finale. And it's absolutely great that we got ten seconds of Mako pretty much giving up and admitting that he'd follow Korra's side for life as a comrade (not that I have a problem with this, it actually shows maturity for all the BS we had to put up with throughout the love triangle, but still, that's literally all we built up to and there's pretty much nothing to strive for in his life besides being a cop if that position is still even stable), and besides that he pretty much ended up completely alone without purpose compared to everyone else. Sure, he almost sacrificed himself and broke his arm for a few weeks, but hey, if Korra and Asami ever feel like spicing things up with a little menage a trois, they know who to call from past experience. 

Just to say it though, I have had a straight lens on with a show before (Arrow with Olicity (Oliver and Felicity) if you ever get to watching it) where I was blind to the obvious built up romance focus, but Korra's just that much of a different beast altogether with how underdeveloped it was yet trying to present it at the end with a focus as if its supposed to give an "ah ha" moment of satisfaction during the one moment you mean to leave your last impression on the franchise you've built up and the legacy it'll leave for the fans. The fact that most of the internet (including me) is talking about a two minute instance rather than most of the season as a whole stands as a testament to how cheap that move was for attention when they knew they'd have to clarify it.

I think we can both agree that trying to defend this season with an argument will always have holes in it, so yes, I concede that it knew that it was going to be of mediocre quality compared to the past seasons and reveled in it. But even so, that doesn't mean I can just forgive what it did fail up to live up with the things it did build up, along with sending out a love letter ending sequence to what the franchise built up and was about (seriously, if they ended it with that conversation between Korra and Tenzin, it would've been a bit underwhelming, but it'd at least be satisfactory and universally understandable) rather than just a vague last minute progressive statement. There's blatant mediocrity, and there's just trying to blow what you were paying attention to in a pitiful display mediocrity, which I see both of these in this season.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:08 am

Spoiler:
At this point arguing further would be arguing in circles, so I'll just say that most of the community got the ending before the creators jumped in and confirmed it. There was a tiny bit of debate but most people accepted it. Confirmation as canon wasn't their reasoning so much as explaining WHY they did it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:11 pm

spoiler:
it was a great finale but the giant mecha kindof came out of nowhere
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Spoiler:

Having to explain why still affirms my point either way though. Still, this is an utterly opinionated situation based on perspective so we have to agree to disagree then.

Additionally, they could've actually ended everything if Toph went in for the capture at the end of Operation Beifong, but they just sort of... left when her forces there were pretty much defeated lol.

You know, if we do ever get another Avatar show, I'd love to see the Red Lotus gradually built up as the overall franchise antagonist that bridges the plots of the shows. But that's just a big whim of mine. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top