Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Post by Kiwi on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 am

Two of my favorite shows, although ATLA is better in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Discuss!
Kiwi
You're too slow!
You're too slow!

PSN : ChaosKiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 am

Of course ATLA is better, TLOK although decent had a rushed first season.
Spoiler:
The ending was somewhat lackluster for me (Ghost Aang plot device? Seriously?). The whole Korra losing bending powers thing should've been expanded into a whole arc, possibly the intro for the second season in my opinion that would allow her to possibly learn new skills and adopt new morals and such. Not to mention that Amon just turned out to be pathetic by the end in my opinion.
And there's a few more details I could go over, but I don't want to keep on boring people.

Sorry for my rant. I like TLOK, but even just comparing only one of ATLA's seasons to be fair, it's still better by miles.

Last edited by Count Mario on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 am

Avatar: The Last Airbender was waayyyyy better than TLOK.

But I still watched TLOK, I just didn't enjoy it as much as ATLA. =/
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 am

The atmosphere of Korra was unbeatable, I have to say. I think that if Nickelodeon didn't absolutely love to screw over the Avatar franchise, Korra's season finale would've come off much better. They fucking renewed it for a full series run like two weeks after the finale aired! Why the hell didn't they just do that before they finished developing the finale so that they could expand the plot rather than have to rush into season 2? They know Avatar is a massive franchise that people will watch no matter what timeslot you put it in!

I really hate Nickelodeon's grudge against Avatar; I think they just really didn't like that the writers changed the original series to appeal more to the people who watched it (and not seven year olds like Nick wanted).
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Siarnaq2020 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

I actually like both series. I mean, yes, TLOK felt too rushed, but I think it would have been better is they cut down on that whole pro-bending side plot, but that's just my opinion. who knows, maybe they'll get their act together and make Book 2 better then the last season... if they ever give us a release date...
Siarnaq2020
New Challenger
New Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

i dunno about LOK i really hate Mako when i didnt hate any of the MCs in the original
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Siarnaq2020 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

I do hope that we get another flashback with the Gaang in book 2! I love older!Toph!
Siarnaq2020
New Challenger
New Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

dragonfire111 wrote:i dunno about LOK i really hate Mako when i didnt hate any of the MCs in the original
Do you hate him because of his character/development or because you think he's poorly designed? Because in one of those scenarios I'd say you hating him is actually positive for LoK. For example, most people hated Zuko for the beginning of AtLA because he was a pretty generic bad guy (mind you, I love Zuko and I'm saying this, so don't flame me for it), but then say some people might hate him later on because they don't agree with his character later on (meaning the character is more fleshed-out and believable that people can disagree with his decisions more). The latter is a positive for AtLA because it means they've done characters right.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 pm

I haven't seen Legend of Korra yet, but I loved ATLA. One of my favorite animated shows of all time. It has a great narrative, loveable characters, lots of action, and some very dark themes. I will try LOK soon, but I'm busy watching some other shows right now.

(P.S. Count Mario, you should've put a lot of that stuff under a spoiler tag or something, because you just spoiled some things for me. I fucking hate it when people spoil things for others)

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:16 pm

DP27 wrote:
dragonfire111 wrote:i dunno about LOK i really hate Mako when i didnt hate any of the MCs in the original
Do you hate him because of his character/development or because you think he's poorly designed? Because in one of those scenarios I'd say you hating him is actually positive for LoK. For example, most people hated Zuko for the beginning of AtLA because he was a pretty generic bad guy (mind you, I love Zuko and I'm saying this, so don't flame me for it), but then say some people might hate him later on because they don't agree with his character later on (meaning the character is more fleshed-out and believable that people can disagree with his decisions more). The latter is a positive for AtLA because it means they've done characters right.
i hate him because compared to the others hes really bland and lacking a personality
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Ah, okay. Scratch my post, then. I just wanted to see why you hated him to see if it's actually positive for that to be the case (like how you can hate characters on The Walking Dead because the writing is so good that you simply care enough to hate them for actual reasons and not because of random event X or Y).

Back on-topic, I still love Korra's writing (barring the ending, but even that has a decent upside in a few ways). They took good advantage of the older target demographic to write some fantastic stuff, and made Amon one of the better villains in a LONG time (again, barring the ending). Hell, honestly even with the ending I still loved Amon and what they did with pretty much everything. The only thing I wasn't all that happy with was the part that Count already mentioned, but that at least gave them time to pursue other things with what WAS their last dozen episodes. Honestly, I kind of still think they might punk us with a twist opening to season 2 that negates the ending of season 1 somehow; perhaps a retcon of sorts that what we witnessed at the end of season 1 was just Korra dreaming. If not, I'm sure they'll make it work well enough to justify it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm

i used to love avatar. didn't see korra though. also although its probably in my top 5 kids shows of all time (Despite its more mature themes its still a kids show at heart, maybe family show being more appropriate) my experience with it was broken and sparring. i missed a good few episodes, including most of the third book. i did a bit of catching up but i'm way behind. and now korras out..........thing is i get little to no access to my tv (Hence why my original avatar viewing was so broken) so its hard to watch. reason why i haven't watched say young justice at all or why i missed lots of danny phantom or invader zim as a kid. not to mention Uk/Eire Nickelodeon has a rerun fetish. as in first season only reruns. and always fricken filler!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 pm

I enjoy LoK despite its flaws. (Man why did they have to kill Amon off so badly? He was a pretty awesome villain) Otherwise, I love the humor.... and the red panda.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

amon was pretty cool hes got nothing on azula though hahaha
and i love most of the cast of korra i thought Asami would be a blank slate like Mako at first but i was pleasently suprised Bolin is hilarious and Korra is awesome
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 pm

ThatGuyWithTheGoggles wrote:I haven't seen Legend of Korra yet, but I loved ATLA. One of my favorite animated shows of all time. It has a great narrative, loveable characters, lots of action, and some very dark themes. I will try LOK soon, but I'm busy watching some other shows right now.

(P.S. Count Mario, you should've put a lot of that stuff under a spoiler tag or something, because you just spoiled some things for me. I fucking hate it when people spoil things for others)
I'm sorry, but when a "spoiler" is over half a year old I personally feel free to talk about it in a topic. No offense, I'm just saying, you should've expected it.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:51 pm

dude i'm still tentative to talk about crack in time cause i know some people haven't got to it. not mentioning names. and thats what a four year old game? it can take time to get to do something depending on how high its is on your priorities. hell i ahven't even seen if Korra airs over here at all........and you spoiled it.........meanie! jk.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah, but the difference is that I asked you not to spoil it personally and I haven't seen a general topic about the Ratchet & Clank franchise or that installment specifically. All I'm saying is that when it comes to forums, do not enter a thread to a series you're hyped to watch. Mainly because there will ALWAYS be somebody to spoil it.

...Also, let's be honest. it's freaking Amon, the one plot point that's been speculated the most out of this whole show among fans. I'm pretty sure somebody else would've mentioned it if I didn't.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 pm

i haven't seen one bt of korra. i have no idea what that means.

your forum point is valid.........if it was only a korra topic. its not its also for TLoA. which means we should be more careful with spoilers
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 pm

You mean it's a topic it's a topic for the whole franchise. Which in this case, it would even fit in more here because people would oftenly compare the two series and also try to connect their chronology and content.

Also, what I "mean" is the antagonist of LoK. Amon. I won't spoil anymore for you since you apparently didn't read the above spoilers, but... Just watch the show. I'm sincerely sorry for spoiling, but I don't have any regrets. i've been on enough forums to see this type of stuff daily to be honest.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demigod on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Avatar The Last Airbender is 10x better than Korra,but I still love Korra. I think Korra got to much into the drama quickly with love in stuff.
Demigod
New Challenger
New Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 pm

they eased you into it with avatar TLoA. every episode started light went into the deep plot then more often then not went light again.........except some of the more awesome episodes which were always cliff hangers. when the originals did anything it was normally touching.

Thats hard to live up to in a mini series that may or may not get a sequel. (I Still don't know if it is. they didn't when the wrote it. hence why i'd say lose ends were tied up in a bullshit way)

on a related side note. You know Death Battle. the thing everyone is mad at right now cause of Supes V Goku? yeah they Wanna include Aang and Toph (Actually more anime outside DBZ as a whole) in a death battle. Aang actually was scheduled for 2 different episodes which never surfaced. Toph may be facing Terra from DC specifically TT cartoon Network. or any other earth user. point is a series which i often regarded as a cult series is getting a lot of love!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 am

Who are they going to pick for Aang? Because when it comes to him, it can either be a curbstomp in his favor or his death wish if he gets paired with a comic book character.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:49 am

it looks like Some one like Captain planet. i also know Naruto is thrown around and not only as Aangs opponent. thats the thing he's hard to do. i don't think they mind mismatches though. SEE Blanka V Pikachu, Spawn V Kratos, Luke Skywaker V Harry Potter and Samus V Bobba Fett.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 am

A Captain planet-esque guy? Eh...

I can actually understand why they picked Luke vs. Harry and Samus vs Boba, they're actually decent match-ups. I can somewhat understand Kratos vs Spawn, but I think it could've been selected better. Naruto though... Yeah, you're right. if you ask me, have him face Luffy from One Piece since (Besides DBZ), they're the two titans of mainstream manga/anime worldwide and even crossed over with each other (and DBZ) in a 2D platform-fighter like All-Stars and Smash Bros called D.O.N. Stadium.

You know what, do you want me to make a thread about the Death Battle series instead of going a bit off-topic like this?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 am

why not cept i'll do it and post all the youtube links with SA links as place holders. unless your willing to do that cause its 4 am here and i need to sleep.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top