Interview tomorrow! A little friendly help from the forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interview tomorrow! A little friendly help from the forum?

Post by Thirty3Three on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey guys! I have an interview at Starbucks tomorrow. (You may not know what Starbucks is, but you probably do, as they have Starbucks places all around the world, in most countries) If you don't know what Starbucks is, it's technically a little (little, store-size-wise, but BIG, franchise-wise) coffee shop.

Well, as you may had assumed from reading the title, I need a bit of help:

Things you should know before answering the 5 questions:
- I have no previous work experience
- I'm pretty desperate to have this job
- I have a 1-on-1, in-person interview tomorrow.

1) For those who have scored a job at a Starbucks, or even a 'job' in general, what kind of questions are asked during an interview? (I have NO PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE)

2) How would I seem motivated, and come off as a hard-worker despite the fact that I'd never had a job? - Like maybe some mannerisms or some form of facial expression that shows confidence and love for challenging situations?

3) Do you know of any fool-proof ways to score a job? I'd be really appreciative if you can give me some advice for the interview!

4) How can I fill that "gap" of having no previous work experience? I want to come off as a hard worker, which I am.

5) What kind of dress-code should I be following for the interview tomorrow?

Any additional advice is highly welcome. Thank you so much guys!!
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Interview tomorrow! A little friendly help from the forum?

Post by Razer_Shpex on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Don't seem nervous, most people like being addresses Mr. Before their last name. Be confident, be clean, be well mannered, hide tattoos if you have any, take out piercings if you have any, dress nice(no logos are preferred), be positive and most of all relax.
Razer_Shpex
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Nocturnal__Gamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:36 pm

1) Most of the questions will just be asking about you: Personality, motivation, etc.

2) Just act confident about it, I guess, but not too confident. You don't want them thinking that you think you're the best person in the whole world for the job... lol. Also, don't be nervous. Think of the interview as a friendly conversation about you and the job that you will be entering in.

3) I don't know anything like that, but my parents always tell me, for job interviews, to try to get a sense of what the interviewer wants to hear and just very slightly "tip the glass" in their favor. (I have no idea where "tip the glass" came from, but it sounds smart. Haha)

4) Just be ready to show that you're a hard worker.

5) Don't go too casual (T-shirt and shorts) or too fancy (Although it's alright if you do end up being a bit too fancy. It's not as important as the "not being too casual" bit). You have to be somewhere between the two. Go off of what Noc said about what you should do.

Other than all of that, one of the most important things to do is to just be yourself. And good luck, as I'm sure you'll be fine whether you chose to use the advice or not. :P
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Yeah those two seem to have covered it all. If you need to cover your lack of work experience (I doubt you'll need to, since it's Starbucks, but just in case), talk about what you've done in other places. If you're the leader of some club or group, or if you've worked with charities/public service before, or something that would merit showing that you're a hard worker. Even if you were in the top X % of your class in high school or something.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Pyro-Hem wrote:
5) Don't go too casual (T-shirt and shorts) or too fancy (Although it's alright if you do end up being a bit too fancy. It's not as important as the "not being too casual" bit). You have to be somewhere between the two. Go off of what Noc said about what you should do.

Hahahahaha!!

I appreciate the help, Pyro, and everyone else! :) I'll do my best! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate these responses!!!!
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helvetica Standard on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Thirty3Three wrote:
1) For those who have scored a job at a Starbucks, or even a 'job' in general, what kind of questions are asked during an interview? (I have NO PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE)

These are some questions that apply on Mexico, but IDK if it is different from here, but this is what they ask:

Are you married/engaged/single? This is one of those important that doesn't look like it. This is because they want to be sure that you won't get distracted in the phone or with some visit from you gf or wife.

With any child? If so, which ages they have? Same as above, not so important as the previous one.

Wich school grade do you have? In this one you have to answer the latest grade you have and if you are studying. NOTE, in a lot of places here in Mexico, they do not want students, IDK if that is the same where do you live.

Where do you live/ Can you get transportation with ease? This is one important too, because in some places they want you to be there as early as possible; in some cases they ask both. For example, your house is located 20km away from you work, of course they want you to be there in time to check in so they ask if you can get to the work on time in car, bus, unicorn, Mecha Tooth, portals, whatever.

How did you knew about this job? This one is self explanatory, just answer it with a short and concise answer. :)

Previous job experience You said that you don't have any experience, so answer with the truth. Just in case, the follow up questions of this one is where do you used to work and why did you get out of that job. They can also ask for some references and recommendations from your previous bosses in another job. So remember, be nice and stay away from troubles. :D

These are the most common, they may ask other questions relevant to the job, personality and motivations, so always answer with the truth, and if you have some doubts about one, answer with the most positive thing that you can came up, but don't go crazy with the answer.

Thirty3Three wrote:2) How would I seem motivated, and come off as a hard-worker despite the fact that I'd never had a job? - Like maybe some mannerisms or some form of facial expression that shows confidence and love for challenging situations?

First of all, smile. That kind of work requires a lot of smiling, nobody wants to be attended by Squirward, so smile, but don't get carried away. :D

When the boss/representative talks to you, NEVER look into another way, look at his/her face, this is a signal that you are paying attention to what he/she says.

NEVER cross your arms, this depicts that you aren't open to what he/she says, even when this isn't true, this is because you are nervous and you are doing it unconsciously, instead leave your hands on the desk or in a place that he/she can see them. You can use some hand gestures while talking (take for example Steve Jobs with his keynotes), but don't abuse of this, because it can backfire as a signal of nervousness. Sit properly on the chair and don't make sounds with your shoes, because this also can be taken as a signal of nervousness. Also, don't cover your face or your mouth with anything unless it's necessary, like when you sneeze.

Practice a little before the interview, try to anticipate what you think they will ask you. Get some bubblegum before the interview, this helps to relax you and remove some stress and trow it away before the interview, no one wants to hear the chewing sound while talking and this can take points from you.

Thirty3Three wrote:3) Do you know of any fool-proof ways to score a job? I'd be really appreciative if you can give me some advice for the interview!

Be yourself, smile, don't interrupt the interviewer and in case this happens, apologize and tell him/her to continue unless he/she said the opposite. Don't go into useless details like talking about how awesome Helvetica Standard is and such things unrelated to the job, this is considered also a sign of nervousness. In a short way, be confident with what you say. :D

Thirty3Three wrote:4) How can I fill that "gap" of having no previous work experience? I want to come off as a hard worker, which I am.

The hardworking part came with decision and initiative, be assertive and gentle with your answers. If they ask you if you have any experience, tell them the truth, but also add something like "But I want to get it here first". Make sure that they get that you want that job, don't hesitate in any of the responses! :D

As DP said, you can use something about your personal life as example that you are a hard worker.

Thirty3Three wrote:5) What kind of dress-code should I be following for the interview tomorrow?

Be clean, take a shower, if you use some kind of men lotion, use just a little, too much smell is also a signal of nervousness. Use something between casual and fancy. Hide your tattoos if you have one, remove any piercing from your face, fix your hair nicely and watch out your breath. Also if you arrive with a MP3 player or something similar, store it in your pocket or bag if you have one in that moment. Also put your phone into vibrating alert or just turn it off.

I know that it is almost the same as the others, but it's nice to remind one in a while. =P

Thirty3Three wrote:Any additional advice is highly welcome. Thank you so much guys!!

Take this like a normal conversation.

If they give you a handshake response to it with a smile and gently tighten your hand, this can also reflect confidence between you two.

Don't be stiff! You aren't a robot, talk naturally and not like you are in a budget movie with bad actors.

Behave properly: don't make pointless jokes, weird faces, gestures or something like that.

I know that I said a lot of thinks that can get you nervous, but you can handle this, it's not that hard if you are being sincere and tell with the truth.

And as a final advice: This has happened to me so many times... don't let they stomp in you, this apply on any job. If you're going to lose more money (transportations, meals, etc) than the one you earn, the working conditions are bad or they just want to scam you with a "fancy payment with little effort", better look for another job. I know this is Starbucks so don't worry about that, but keep in mind that in the streets there are a lot of scammers and exploiters disguised as "good jobs".

That's all I can tell you. Maybe it's a lot but you can get it easy if you are confident with yourself, and I'm sure that you are right now.

I wish you luck dude, you can do it. Go for it!

:D

NINJA EDIT: Also, go alone to your interview, that clip that you posted reminds me about that. xD
Helvetica Standard
Staff
Staff

PSN : HelveticaStd

View user profile http://helvetica-standard.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Guys, I cannot express you you how thankful I am. Thank you SO much guys! for everything!! :)

Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm pretty sure I'm in! :)

I can't thank you all enough!! Thank you so much for all of your help!!!
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top